4.0 out of 5 stars Good information, 11 May 2014
This review is from: How to Stop Lying: The Ultimate Cure Guide for Pathological Liars and Compulsive Liars (Pathological Lying Disorder, Compulsive Lying Disorder, ASPD, Antisocial ... Disorder, Psychopathy, Sociopathy) (Kindle Edition)
This book starts by defining a pathological/compulsive liar as someone who lies out of habit without even being conscious of it, that it is almost second nature. Pathological lying has been described as a sign of a deeper psychological problem, which sometimes develops in childhood. According to the book, low self- esteem can sometimes be a factor in compulsive lying; lying is a way to disguise low self -esteem. The book further explains that the reason people lie fall within 5 categories. These are: to avoid hurting someone, avoid feeling guilt or shame, avoid conflict and stress, gain social advantage and avoid significant loss.
The author concludes that lying can be stopped through rewiring of the brain. In addition Psychodynamic Therapy is suggested as another way of solving this problem. Other simple suggestions like thinking carefully before answering and keeping a diary etc. are included in this book.
This book is well presented by someone who seems to know what they are talking about. It provides great insight into a topic that plagues a lot of people but which is not discussed enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 20 Feb. 2014
This book is unbelievable, trust me. I've studied a fair amount of psychology in my time and know how difficult it is to find a book that lays it all on the table with concision yet doesn't compromise on insight. The author's name might put you off, for sure. I mean, Caesar Lincoln, is that a name you can trust? However, the information inside is all standard fair and ranges across a number of psychological fields of thought. Read it, practice it, live in truth. A bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but to the point, 19 Nov. 2013
I read a lot of psychology books and was intrigued by the subject of this one. The book is short (I read it in half an hour)' but don't be put off by that. It is concise and to the point. Quality has not been sacrificed in favour of brevity. I think it is a good commuter read.

The subject is covered in a reasonable amount of depth and I would imagine this is sufficient to provide help to someone who feels they have a problem with lying. Well worth a read!

I stopped short of giving it 5 stars because there are a few typing errors that need to be addressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 18 Nov. 2013
`How To Stop Lying" is a rather intriguing read. It was the subtitle that said "The ultimate cure for pathological liars and compulsive liars" that really reeled me in from the beginning, as I'm currently taking a course in pastoral care and counseling. This counseling course has thus sparked my interest in all sorts of issues that people come up against and the different ways to go around solving them, so although I myself don't (or at least I don't think I do) have a problem with lying, I wanted to read this book for interest's sake.

So read it I did! The book in itself is short and snappy - perfect for reading in one go on a train journey or a lunch break but it manages to get the balance right between detail and being concise, which was fab.

The chapters span a lot of good things including definitions of what pathological lying is, symptoms and ways to help it. My personal favourite was the chapter all about why we lie, and it outlined the 5 main situations in which people do so - it was quite interesting when I realised that I could identify with each point to a more or lesser extent. I think it has also meant that when people lie in the future instead of getting upset or angry that I can try to see where they're coming from and be a little bit more understanding.

Again, from the `student studying counseling' perspective I found it really cool to see different techniques discussed that would help someone overcome a lying problem. Overall, I thought this book was fantastic and simple to read and I think it would be great not only for people who have trouble with lying but for people who know someone who has an issue with it or just for plain old interest. In fact, I would say it probably appeals and works better for the latter two! My only dissatisfaction with the book was the lack of author on the cover page - but I guess that's just me nitpicking eh?

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 July 2014
Annon (Afghanistan) - See all my reviews
It helped me a great deal and now I'm cured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable and great value for money, 23 Feb. 2015
This book was a compelling and enlightening read! Highly enjoyable and great value for money :) Can't recommend enough