on 24 December 2013
Before reading this book, I couldn't quite see the world through my AS partner's eyes. I didn't "get" why he did certain things, and had trouble differentiating between AS traits and personality quirks. After reading, I felt much more aware not only of his needs but my own. Alis takes hard-to-discuss subjects and makes it easy for all family members to understand. I have read all of her books so far and I can't impress how important they have been for myself and my family in understanding the syndrome which affects someone we love. This is a longer read than the others, however it is packed with lots of insight about living life as an undiagnosed aspie - something which we identified with so much.

All of Alis' books are a must for anyone who feels lost and in search of answers about their own condition or that of a loved one. They are simply structured, clear to understand and so very informative, without making it feel like a chore to read. She is quite simply amazing. The quicker "the professionals" get this onto their reading list for the newly diagnosed the better.

Aspergers is a lot less terrifying overwhelming and daunting when someone as articulate as Alis is there to guide you.
on 4 January 2014
My daughter started reading "Asperger's and Me" last night. What makes this amazing is that she hates reading (never read a book in her life) and struggles with comprehension. She understands everything Alis Rowe is saying. This is a "real" book with full pages of writing. One page would normally have switched her off! Can't wait to read more!
on 30 January 2014
I have a 6 year old daughter with ASD. As her mum all I want is to be able to understand her and be there 100%. Alis is such an inspiration to me as I feel as though I can finally get into my daughter's head and her world more than I could before.
We need more people like Alis to allow us into their daily lives, challenges and inner most thoughts and feelings.
I will be passing this book onto my daughter when she is old enough to understand. I know it will be a God send for her.
Thankyou Alis Rowe. You are an inspiration to me and my hero. Thank you so much.
Dawn M Robertson
on 10 May 2014
Autism is a part of my home life that I have learned to deal with but never truly understood. An enjoyable read, this book allowed me to take a better look at this condition and has given me a much better perspective. Highly recommended for anyone with friends/family on the spectrum, working with people affected by these conditions or simply interested in this area. Anyone interested in learning more should also look at 'the curly hair project' on Facebook, where the author is doing a fantastic job of supporting and raising awareness for females with Asperger's Syndrome and related conditions.
on 12 May 2014
A member of my family was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. Although I had heard of Asperger's, I knew nothing about it. Someone suggested that I might find this book helpful and it was. An excellent read.
on 4 April 2014
This is a really lovely book, giving a very personal insight into what it feels like to live with Asperger's. As a parent with an adult AS son, I found the book extremely helpful in allowing me to understand more about his day-to-day experience and some of the challenges he faces as he moves towards independence. I love the sections where Alis explains how she thinks about the world and some of the situations that she finds challenging. There were places were I laughed out loud in recognition ... Although I've read a lot of books on Asperger's I learned a lot from the Girl with the Curly Hair; I'd strongly recommend that every parent of an AS child reads this book. I'd like to think teachers would read it too. :) It's an easy read, well-written, upbeat and positive, even though some of the issues addressed are difficult ...highly recommended!
on 30 August 2015
I have read many many books on Asperger's Syndrome, and this one stands out like a shining star above all of the others. Firstly there are few books written specifically about how AS affects women and girls. This is very important, as I have found the male and female experience with Asperger's is vastly different. This is the most personal, open and honest account out there, written by a young woman diagnosed with an ASD and touches on many subjects that other books either skim over or ignore. This is what makes this account so refreshing. It has unlocked so many of the mysteries about Asperger's that many of us might fear asking of a Doctor or a therapist, or even a family member or loved one. I found myself saying yes! yes! yes! so many times. Despite some dark experiences, the message is overall positive. It is simply a relief to feel that others have the same thoughts and feelings that I do, and also to be able to feel a part of the wonderful community of the Curly Hair Project, set up by Alis Rowe in order to provide just this kind of support. This is THE must read for women on the spectrum, their families and their loved ones. Keep up the good work Alis.
on 28 April 2014
I found this book amazing on so many levels. I've read quite a lot of books on women living with autism and I have found this one to be the most accessible and educational. It is touching, insightful and honest. If you have AS, know some-one, love someone with AS then read this. It will give you a clear insight to their world and allow you to understand them better. Can't recommend it enough.
on 11 April 2015
Any one who has anything to do with a female with AS / ASD MUSTMUST M read this book...

There is so little literature out there that is specific to high functioning girls and this book is written by someone who has AS is able to express so brilliantly how the AS world differs from the NT world...

It is such an easy book to read - both readable and beautifully presented with colour diagrams etc....

Saw Alis speak today and she is truly an inspiration...

Buy this, read this - pass it onto everyone in your life... the world needs educating and illuminating about how AS presents in females and this wonderful book really is essential reading...

This should be a required text for all in the Education and Health system... (Teachers / SENCO's, / SALTS / OT's Therapists / CAMHS / DR's Nurses etc... ) There are so many undiagnosed girls out there who are desperate for support and understanding and this book has so much information and insight presented in such a brilliant format.

Great great book which I highly recommend.
on 26 April 2015
Great book! I really enjoyed the first-hand account descriptions of what life is like on a day to day basis for a person with Asperger's Syndrome. Alis might still be a very young woman, she managed to explain most of what is complicated for an Aspie girl with simple words, something most Aspies will find difficult to explain to people without AS.
It might be very useful for a teen or young adult girl with AS to read. Alis Rowe explains strategies she has developed over time to cope with the demands of social life. Also, she shows how important it is to be labelled Asperger since it legitimates a special approach in terms of coping. It also legitimates her peculiarities to the usual people around her. She can be more proactive and assertive as to her needs and limitations.
I really encourage people who want to know more to read this personnal description of life with AS, it is a great read and quite informative. I guess many women aspies will recognize situations or feelings which are quite familiar.