TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 February 2016
HISTORY:

Now That's What I Call Music! (1983–present) (often shortened to Now!) is a series of various artists compilation albums released in the United Kingdom and Ireland by EMI. Spinoff series were later introduced in South Africa (1984) and many other countries worldwide, including the United States in 1998, and Israel in 1999. Since its launch in the UK in 1983, the series has amassed over 100 million album sales worldwide, and each volume always debut at Number 1 on the UK album chart.

CONTENT:

Now That’s What I Call Music 86 was released in UK on November 18, 2013, and debut at Number 1 on the UK album compilation chart. Although a song listing is included on Amazon.ca, I have compiled a more detailed listing (with chart position in US & UK, with personal comments), which is as follows:

Disc 1:
01 Roar – Katy Perry (US 1/2013; UK 1/2013)
02 Counting Stars – OneRepublic (US 3/2013; UK 1/2013)
03 Talk Dirty – Jason Derulo, featuring 1 Chainz (US 102/2013; UK 1/2013)
04 We Can’t Stop – Miley Cyrus (US 2/2013; UK 1/2013)
05 Wake Me Up – Avicii (US 4/2013; UK 1/2013)
06 Look Right Through – Storm Queen (MK Vocal Edit)(UK 1/2013)
07 Animals – Martin Garrix (US 51/2013; UK 1/2013)
08 Burn – Ellie Goulding (US 13/2013; UK 1/2013)
09 Hold On, We’re Going Home – Drake, featuring Majid Jordan (US 4/2013; UK 4/2013)
10 You’re Nobody ‘Til Somebody Loves You – James Arthur (UK 2/2013)*follow-up to his No. 1 hit Impossible
11 Do I Wanna Know? – Arctic Monkeys (US 99/2013; UK 11/2013)
12 Royals – Lorde (US 1(9)/2013; UK 1/2013)
13 Foxes - Youth (US 12/2013)
14 Applause – Lady Gaga (US 4/2013; UK 4/2013)
15 Gorilla – Bruno Mars (US 22/2013; UK 62/2013)
16 Best Song Ever- One Direction (US 2/2013; UK 2/2013)
17 It’s My Party – Jessie J (UK 3/2013)
18 Can We Dance – Vamps (UK 2/2013)
19 Juliet – Lawson (UK 3/2013)
20 Show Me Love (America) – The Wanted (UK 8/2013)
21 Bonfire Heart – James Blunt (UK 4/2013)
22 Somewhere Only We Know – Lily Allen (UK 1/2013)

Disc 2:
01 Eat Sleep Rave Repeat (Calvin Harris Remix) – Fatboy Slim & Riva Starr, featuring Beardyman (UK 3/2013)
02 Thinking About You – Calvin Harris, featuring Ayah Marar (UK 8/2013)
03 You Make Me – Avicii (SWEDEN 1/2013; US 85/2013; UK 5/2013)
04 Earthquake – DJ Fresh vs Diplo, featuring Dominique Young Unique (UK 4/2013)
05 Sonnentanz (Sun Don’t Shine) – Klangkarussell, featuring Will Heard (UK 3/2013)
06 Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais Remix) – Lana Del Rey vs Cedric Gervais (UK 4/2013)
07 Bang Bang – will.i.am (UK 3/2013)* a brand new mix featuring vocals from Leah McFall, previously unavailable on any format
08 What I Might Do – Ben Pearce (UK 7/2013)
09 Count On Me – Chase and Status, featuring Moko (UK 28/2013; UK DANCE 1/2013)
10 Children Of The Sun – Tinie Tempah, featuring John Martin (UK 6/2013)
11 Other Side Of Love – Sean Paul (UK 7/2013)
12 R U Crazy – Conor Maynard (UK 4/2013)
13 Lifted – Naughty Boy, featuring Emeli Sande (UK 8/2013)
14 Lost Generation – Rizzle Kicks (UK 6/2013)
15 Boom Boom (Heartbeat) – Ray Foxx, featuring Rachel K. Collier (UK 12/2013)
16 Cheating – John Newman (UK 8/2013)
17 Big When I Was Little – Eliza Doolittle (UK 12/2013)
18 Disco Love – The Saturdays (UK 5/2013)
19 Afterglow – Wilkinson (UK 8/2013; UK DANCE 1/2013)
20 Booyah – Showtek, featuring We Are Loud & Sonny Wilson (UK 5/2013; UK DANCE 1/2013)
21 Something Really Bad – Dizzee Rascal, featuring will.i.am (UK 10/2013)
22 The Fox (What Does The Fox Say) – Ylvis (US 6/2013; UK 17/2013; NORWAY 1/2013)*the line dance is as fun as the song!
The remastered audio from this set is simply PERFECT! I wish other producers will take note and take the same care in presenting their music.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I personally keep an eye on the weekly US charts (Billboard Hot 100, AC and C&W) and UK charts. I am quite familiar with most of the songs in this set. Many songs are popular only in UK and are difficult or expensive to find over here in Canada. Now series presents a good way to collect these UK gems. The sound of the entire set is perfect, vibrant and clean. If you like modern pop music, the UK Now series is the best of all: 2 CDs with 44 songs, while Now 48 (US) has only 20 song. This set is highly recommended.
on 29 January 2014
With thirty years of experience, I suppose Now have become the established compiler of UK chart hits. Not all of the hits have been in the top ten, which can be a bonus for a variety of reasons. It is unfair to judge this CD in relation to Now, as it only reflects what the public are buying. Unfortunately at the moment the choice of the people is not the same as me, so I can't give it five stars. I would always recommend their thrice-yearly compilations to be listened to at least once.
on 25 February 2014
I was given this as a gift and I love it! Most of the songs are great and there's a good mix, but, as with any music compilation there are some less good songs. I would definitely recommend this!
on 16 February 2014
Great CD. Lots of brilliant music which appeals. 4 stars only as there are one or two songs that don't suit my style - even so very good.
These compilations are great value for money if you enjoy the majority of the songs. I think the 'cloud' is a great idea too. I can get the music on my phone and computer and have the Cd's permanently in my car. Couldn't be better.
on 17 February 2014
Great to have all the latest hits on one cd, but why bother with the second cd, it's always boring and never is used?!
on 25 February 2014
Pressie for daughter aged 11. We all been bopping since Christmas . Nice mix of tunes for all. Go for it
on 13 March 2014
Now That's What I Call Music! 86 or Now! 86 is a double-disc compilation album which was released in the United Kingdom on 18 November 2013.[1][2] It is the 86th edition of the UK Now! series and is available on CD and downloadable format.

Now 86 features ten songs which reached number one on the UK Singles Chart: "Roar", "Counting Stars", "Talk Dirty", "We Can't Stop", "Wake Me Up", "Look Right Through", "Animals", "Burn", "Royals" and "Somewhere Only We Know".

The version of will.i.am's song "Bang Bang" is a brand new mix featuring vocals from Leah McFall, previously unavailable on any format

Title

Miley Cyrus

"Wake Me Up"

Avicii featuring Aloe Blacc

4:06

"Look Right Through" (MK Vocal Edit)

Storm Queen

2:28

"Animals"

Martin Garrix

2:45

"Burn"

Ellie Goulding

3:51

"Hold On, We're Going Home"

Drake featuring Majid Jordan

3:47

10.

"You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You"

James Arthur

CD 2[edit]

Title

Artist

Length

"Eat Sleep Rave Repeat" (Calvin Harris Remix)

Fatboy Slim & Riva Starr featuring Beardyman

Avicii

"Earthquake"

DJ Fresh vs. Diplo featuring Dominique Young Unique

3:09

"Sonnentanz (Sun Don't Shine)"

Klangkarussell featuring Will Heard

3:41

"Summertime Sadness" (Cedric Gervais Remix)

Lana Del Rey

"Something Really Bad"

Dizzee Rascal featuring will.i.am

3:41

22.

"The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)
on 4 January 2014
I am writing to warn parents that there is some highly inappropriate language on track 3 of CD1, which is of a sexually explicit nature. I came across this while listening to the CD in the car with my 9 year old daughter. As I realise a lot of parents don't listen to the CDs their children have they may not be aware of this. Anyway just wanted to let you all know.
on 17 February 2014
brought this I love all the now music albums have collected them over the years, so added nicely to my collection
on 26 December 2013
I collect the Now series, although sometimes the songs are not quite to my liking but almost always contain the hits that are playing out there on the radio. Often Now will do a compilation that is pre-production and the pre-production Now 86 had better songs!!!