4.0 out of 5 stars Wish fulfillment
Published 15 months ago by Mynnie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as expected...
Published 6 months ago by Fabulous Book Fiend

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish fulfillment, 17 Mar. 2014
I think if I could have given this book 4.5 stars, I would have done so, because it really was a fantastically enjoyable book. However, as Jenny's note points out, this book started out because everyone wanted to find out what happened next and the storyline bears a lot of signs of building castles in the air. Some of the plot-lines really are ridiculous and could only work in a Christmas special. Moreover, (admittedly because I enjoyed it so much), I started re-reading the original book and immediately spotted some continuity errors that undermined the plot of the sequel. Unless Australia changed their immigration system in the year or so since the start of the first book.

That said, it does work, largely because the writing is so warm and confident. It makes for a lovely read.

It's a very different story to the first book as well. Sweetshop of Dreams was more of a rambling book, set over a longer period of time and describing how a lot of the characters' lives slowly change over the course of several months. This book presupposes that we know the characters, the village and the issues in the background. Roy Blaine, the dentist, for example, shows up all of once in person and the book relies on the colourful impression he made in the previous story to get the point across. It makes for a tight read - the hard work of establishing the characters has already been done and we can just enjoy the snapshot of their lives at Christmas.

This is not to say that there isn't anything new. Rosie's family are wonderful, and I've grown to love Stephen almost as much as I love Rosie over the course of this novel.

Spoiler - (It's down to the dog, it really is)

It's a lovely book, though. It is very much a Christmas special, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's the long, detailed epilogue to a wonderful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always, 25 Nov. 2013
I didn't realise this had been released. Walked into the supermarket and there it was...brilliant day which was then followed by a good few days with my head stuck in this book. I couldn't have asked for more (apart from maybe a third book)?! Just wonderful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as expected..., 9 Dec. 2014
Review: I loved Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams, it was one of the best books that I read last year and so I had very high expectations for this one. Unfortunately my expectations were not really met. I loved revisiting the characters and the settings, especially Lillian but this books had a completely different feel for me to the last book and that just made it a bit of a tricky read. I understand that books need to feel different from one another, the wold has evolved, time has progressed but i was expecting the same feel-good factor as Rosie Hopkins had and I just didn't feel it with this one.

It was great to see all the old faces again and find out how they were doing, what they were going to get up to next but some of the characters seem to have changed beyond recognition, especially Stephen from the big house. He seemed to thaw out considerably in the last novel but seemed uptight and distant once again in this novel. Lillian was a lovely as ever and she has her own love interest in this book, however storyline is very predictable and so really didn't add an awful lot of depth to the overall story for me.

There is a dramatic incident fairly early on in this book and, for me, it just didn't fit with the rest of the novel, it was as if someone else had written that bit or that it had been added in at the last minute, The incident itself had me feel anxious and worried for quite a large proportion of the book and not warm and cosy and comforted like the original novel did. I know I'm comparing again, but i think if you've read the first Rosie Hopkins book then that is something you will definitely do. This book would work well as a standalone though because you are reminded of scenes and story lines from the first book, this could be a little patronising if you've marathoned the two books together however...

I did finish this book and I enjoyed how everything came together at the very last minute and I will definitely be reading The Christmas Surprise which is the third book in this companion series but it just didn't live up to my expectations. Perhaps if you do read this as a standalone or if you're not a big Jenny Colgan fan then this book will hit your festive read buttons but it really wasn't for me and I'm a little disappointed that it didn't seem up to the usual Jenny Colgan standard. There is certainly the right balance of festive cheer versus realistic storyline though and so this book should definitely be read at this time of year!

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit formulaic., 1 Feb. 2014
Jenny Colgan spins an easy read that is perfect when you want to escape the daily grind but without having to think or go any further than the words on the page.
When she first started with this 'series' of books I was pleasantly surprised and found them enjoyable, now I find myself a little tired and wanting a bit more from the book and characters.
There is nothing wrong or that I really dislike about the book but it is what it is and that is a bit of 'candy floss'.

3.0 out of 5 stars relaxing, 6 Dec. 2013
Very predictable but never the less quite a good story if you don`t want to think too much. Very relaxing

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Keep You Reading, 12 Aug. 2014
This is the second book featuring Rosie Hopkins and her sweetshop but it can be read independently as the author does include a good synopsis of the first book in the prologue.
Rosie is happily living in Lipton running the sweetshop and in a relationship with Stephen. A series of events threaten the livlihood of the village as well as her relationship with Stephen - will they all live happily ever after?
Of course they all live happily ever after. This is the sort of book that you know before you have opened the book that it will have a happy ending even if tears (fictionally or in reality) have been shed on the way. To me this is "comfort" reading. The author is not going to make you step out from your comfort zone but sometimes it is good to settle back and relax into a book like this knowing that all be come right in the end.
I very much enjoyed this book. It has plenty of things going on and contains some oddly interesting characters - there is Edison the too serious 7 year old, Hetty the Lady of the Manor, Angie Rosie's Mum, Moray the gay GP, Anton the rather overweight gentleman who loves sweets........yes, I know they are all a bit cliched but they are great fun. It was lovely to reacquaint myself with some characters from the first book.
The story trots along as you would expect but there are a few unexpected twists just to keep your attention. It flows well and is easy to read and keep on reading even when I should have been going to bed!
This is a light, fun book with a gossipy feel and some romance. It is well written and certainly kept my attention. I shall certainly be looking out for some other books by this author. Another story about Rosie Hopkins would be nice. I am not sure where the author would go with the story but I am quite happy to find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing follow up:-), 7 Nov. 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was so excited when I got an early copy of this book, because I only recently got around to reading the first book Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams. I really enjoyed that and was excited to get stuck in to the follow up, which is set at Christmas (so perfect timing). First off I must just say that I LOVE Jenny Colgan covers, and this one is especially `christmassy' (I know that's not a word but you know what I mean). For those that haven't read the first book, although it's not a necessity I think it makes this book so much more enjoyable.

Although I really enjoyed the first Rosie book, I LOVED this one and it started from the first few pages. Mrs Colgan re-acquainted me with the main characters, Rosie and her live in boyfriend, grumpy but adorable Stephen; as well as Rosie's cranky aunt Lillian who now lives in a home. There are also numerous characters that have progressed from the first book and we see them back in the second such as Tina, Moray and the strange and quirky young boy Eddison.

I felt like I had practically moved into the village within a matter of pages and found myself holding the book everywhere I went on the off chance I could squeeze a few more pages in. This time around Rosie's family are making their way across the water from Oz and Rosie cannot wait to see them all. With the excitement of her family visiting, the running of the sweetshop and the general activity in the village; I almost felt as shocked as the characters were when a tragedy occurs in the village. This is a catalyst for quite a few things (which I cant details because that would be spoilers!).

However, with the tragedy to one side, we see loads of things happen as a result of it and this includes some sad moments, as well as some legendary moments! There are some very funny scenes that go on featuring Lillian and Rosie's Mum which had me giggling. These two particular characters make such a difference and are an absolute joy to read. There seemed to be a number of conclusions made with this follow up book which I was really chuffed about too.

All in all my review may sound vague, but I really wouldn't want to spoil this for anyone as it was such a brilliant book. I couldn't out it down from start to finish and think it was even better than the first one. It was full of love, laughter and plenty of tears and is without a doubt a perfect Christmas Present! Can't recommend it highly enough and think that JC fans who are itching to get this will be thrilled!

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first book...not this one, 15 Feb. 2014
I really wanted to love this book. Rosie Hopkins's Sweetshop of Dreams was one of my favourite reads, but this book is basically the same story, same conflict and same pressures. Nothing really new happens. Shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 22 Jan. 2014
I think these books are now getting so predictable and overly personalised by the author with unrealistic and unintersting plot lines and poor characterisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute MUST READ, 10 Dec. 2014
Agi - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
OK, I'm going to be totally honest with you, I'm really confused when it comes to Jenny Colgan and her series. The titles seem so similar to each other to me and, yes, I adore the books, but I really lose my touch with who is who and what I've already read and what not. I have already started reading "The Christmas Surprise" about Rosie and after some sentences I realized that something is wrong, and yes, there was something wrong, I haven't read "Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop" yet, so I quickly changed the books to read it in the right order.

Thank you Jenny for summarizing your stories at the beginning and for reminding us what happened in the previous book - it really helps a lot, what with my memory like a sieve and with reading so many books. I guess this book could be read as a stand - alone although I would recommend to read the series in the right order, it makes it much more enjoyable and much more clear and understandable.

Rosie is happy to spend Christmas in Lipton with Stephen and Lilian, even though it's so cold in their little cottage that the windows are frozen inside. And her family is coming from Australia, too! She wants to tell Stephen about this but before she can, something very tragic happens in Lipton, something that unite all the people and makes all the other problem look very insignificant.
In the meantime Rosie has a problem where to put her family and the only solution is a Peak House but it means that she and Stephen must ask Hetty if it's possible. Hetty, who's still not so convinced that Rosie is the best choice for Stephen, but well, she still gives them a dog for Christmas. Stephen starts work as a primary teacher and Rosie's sweet shop is happily opening its doors for the locals. And Lilian has her own moments in the home as well, thanks to a new resident...

I have immediately feel connected to all the characters in the book, from the very first sentence I felt as if I had never left Lipton and its locals. Lipton must be the most perfect place to live in books, really. From the very first word I felt as if I've never left this place and felt re - acquainted with all the characters. Rosie is Rosie, you can't not love her, with her easy - going and laidback attitude, her boyfriend Stephen who can be sometimes grumpy and have problems with telling what bites him at the moment, but nevertheless, is a lovely man. Rosie and Stephen are both so stubborn and they don't talk to each other and I really so wanted to bang their heads together, and I was really, really scared that it's the end of their relationship (although I've already had "The Christmas surprise" on my bookshelf, ekhm), when Rosie was planning her trip to Australia, but they work together so brilliantly! Of course it's a relationship with bumps, with a lot of twists and turns, but this makes it much more realistic and believable.
Rosie's quirky Aunt Lilian, to name the few main characters, and all of them are lively, they are popping out of the pages and feel so realistic! Tina and her twins, Doctor Moray, Hetty, Edison and his family, they have all such sharp tongues and they say so funny things, it's unbelievable! It's this kind of dry humour that I totally adore. The characters were really vivid and they didn't felt sorry for themselves. I loved the children in the book, they were all individuals and so brilliantly described, according to their age, which doesn't happen often. Rosie's family adds so much to this story, I loved how they interacted with each other and there was really so much love in the air when they all gathered together.

I totally loved this book. I adored it. It was funny, touching, wise and very straightforward, all in one. The characters were larger than life and what made me love this book so much were the characters of course, the storyline and dialogues - the way the characters communicate was the best ever. They one - liners are brilliantly sharp, clever and from time to time they've made me suddenly, totally unexpectedly, snort with laughter. Lilian may be old, but she's still sharp as a knife with an attitude and sharp tongue, sarcastic remarks and I totally adored her laidback approach to life and people.

Jenny Colgan has an incredible way with words, she can describe each situation in a very expressive, colourful way, a way that made me felt as if I was there and saw this with my own eyes. The tragedy that is mentioned in the blurb was described in such a way that it felt like in a film, like a freeze - frame and the tension was incredible! It shocked me exactly as it shocked the Liptoners, and the author really did this scene a justice, it felt incredibly real!

A big brownie point for solving Lilian and Henry's plot - it was actually the deciding point in my eyes and so much could go wrong there, but Jenny Colgan has mastered it wonderfully. It was not too cheesy, not too pushy, it just sounded very realistic and it really COULD have happened. It was a closure that absolutely took me by surprise and actually smashed my heart and it - although not one of the very main subplots - wrapped the book perfectly up.

The descriptions in the book are wonderful, and Jenny Colgan's Christmas is a Christmas that you'd like to have yourself. It's funny, it's warm, it's cosy and comfortable, and full of heart and family. She can make me laugh out loud and in the next moment cry buckets, hitting me unexpectedly with the most poignant scene ever. It's incredible how Jenny can squeeze so many emotions in the book. This book is full of action, it's a fast - paced read that I didn't want to put down for a second. It was a complete joy to read and I am sure you are all going to enjoy this story!

Copy received from publisher in exchange for a review.