‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A good positive attitude leaps right off the page as you ..., 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Createspace and Kindle Self-Publishing Masterclass - The Step-by-Step Author's Guide to Writing, Publishing and Marketing Your Books on Amazon (Kindle Edition)
‘First, let’s get one thing straight: there’s a book inside you right now.’ says Rick Smith, author of Create Space & Kindle. A good positive attitude leaps right off the page as you start to read and learn how you are going to be as successful in publishing your magnum opus on the Amazon platform as he is.
The book is divided into three main sections; Writing, Publishing and Marketing. One of the many items in the writing section that grabbed me was that Quality Matters and make sure you are using a Comfortable Chair. I've been snoozing in mine for too long, so I grabbed a spare dining room chair and replaced my too-comfortable office chair; yes it has really made a difference, thanks Rick. He suggests getting a laptop computer so as to be able to able to get out and write where the mood takes you, mine is Starbucks, and always make backups of what you are writing.
The second section of the book covers, in great detail, how to get your book off of your computer and into the world of Amazon. There is a couple of items I would have liked to have seen more information on and they are, Expanded Distribution, and how to get to your Amazon Sales Page; though I’m sure it will all work out as I go through the process.
Marketing to me is a dark art, and Rick sure put the lights on when I started to read through his very helpful and informative chapters. I like the idea of balancing the cost of ordering and shipping author copies from the USA against just ordering direct from Amazon in the UK.
All in all, Create Space & Kindle by Rick Smith is an excellent source book for those, like me, who are just setting out on the journey of being in full control of Writing, Publishing and Marketing their own book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful guidebook to self-publishing!, 25 Nov 2013
Sammy K. (Galveston, TX) - See all my reviews
Extremely helpful guidebook to self-publishing. This book has everything you need to know to start your own self-publishing empire -- from writing, to publishing, to marketing. Yes, marketing. You know, that one teeny tiny thing that most authors forget about or feign ignorance of. If you're like me, then that marketing step won't come naturally to you -- unless you check out this book! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Anyone New To Self-Publishing, 16 May 2014
I rate this book 5 star because it is clear and easy to follow.

Most books written by people who know fall into the trap of only being easy to follow by those who already know. This applies to most technical books and the Amazon pdf on how to format your book for Create Space. Rick's book understands this and tells you in Plain English everything you have to do to write, publish and sell your book.

Having read the Kindle version of the book I immediately bought a paper version to live on my desk.

In my first week of publication this book has already helped me to get 270 downloads of my Kindle book and to sell 12 paperbacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Writers, 21 Nov 2013
First of all, I wish I had found this great book that is helpful in so many ways. If you want to be an author and get your book out there in the world, I highly suggest you BUY THIS BOOK!

There are many books on the subject of how to publish your book. This one is easy to understand and takes you through every single step. Many things you may already know but there are also helpful suggestions on how to get through the process in formatting your book for better reviews.

There are helpful hints on using keywords and marketing strategies and groups to join to help make your book a success. I plan on using all of this wonderful information that Rick Smith has offered in this book to my advantage.

Createspace and Kindle Self-Publishing Masterclass is a book I will keep in my library and everytime I write a book, I will go through it again and follow it completely. There is a lot that goes into writing and publishing a book and it can be overwhelming. Why wouldn't you want every advantage to make it as easy as possible?

5 stars and thank you for letting me know its never too late to go back and make my book perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-Publishing Must Have, 21 Nov 2013
Amazon makes it easy to publish a CreateSpace Print-on-Demand Paperback or a Kindle ebook. That is, their publishing interface is easy to follow and fill out. And if that's all there was to publishing, we'd all be making a good living as authors. Unfortunately, that's only one tiny part of what it takes to SELL a book.

This useful guide will help you pick a topic to write about, and it will give you some pointers on how to write productively. It will help you with the all-important and sometimes difficult formatting of your book, and designing your cover or finding someone to do it for you.

This book also walks you through Amazon's Publishing interfaces, though they really are pretty self-explanatory.

OK - now you've written your book and published it. So you're done and can sit back and let Amazon sell it for you. Right?

No, unfortunately you'll also have to do some marketing work too. Fortunately this book covers that base too, from how to price your book to how to get book reviews and how to write your all-important Product Description - which you are going to have to think of as a sales pitch.

They also include a list of additional resources - a great bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-Publishing Bible, 21 July 2014
In all honesty it has been a long time since I finished reading an entire book. This book on self-publishing by author Rick Smith is an absolute must for anyone looking into publishing their own book.

The book takes you from start to finish from generating ideas to actually publishing and marketing your book. There isn't a book like this because the author definitely walks the talk. He is so experienced and knows what he's talking about. One of the strategies for marketing that he mentions inside the book is absolutely killer. I have done similar strategies that have been very effective but with this method that Smith provides will definitely skyrocket my sales.

The book was recommended by a friend such a long time ago when I was getting started publishing, but I did not listen. The book was once again recommended by the same friend and I absolutely regret not taking his word the first time. I am definitely going to keep coming back to reference this book because it's like a personal publishing Bible.

If I could give you (an aspiring/current author) any advice I would have to say that don't waste your time on any other program or book. This book right here is the real deal. Whether you're writing fiction or nonfiction the author will give you his personal method on how to organize yourself on publishing your bestseller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Far and away the most useful for anyone embarking on the Amazon publishing experience., 31 July 2014
I have downloaded several books of this ilk, but this is far and away the most useful for anyone embarking on the Amazon publishing experience. Rick’s style is easy to read, casual even, but everything he says is clearly put and easy to understand even for a technophobe like me. I am about to prepare my Kindle book for Create Space, and I now feel confident about the process, also the fine art of marketing. Many ‘how to’ authors use their books merely as a platform for self-promotion. Not Rick, although he does use his titles to illustrate how to optimise SEO and the mysteries of making the best use of Amazon’s ranking. He has a facility for cross referencing between the sections of the book, and sometimes repeats himself, which I find helpful, as flicking backwards and forwards between pages on Kindle is not easy and I need the information to be reinforced. Rick is a non-fiction writer, and his advice is weighted against fiction. For example, as a writer of a novel that does not quite fit any category, I would love advice on choosing key words. One small niggle, for all he urges over-scrupulous editing and warns against the over gratuitous use of exclamation marks, there are a few typos, and too many sections and with’!’. !!!
The Additional Resources section at the ned id particularly useful.
Ann Elliott.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book every writer needs, 7 Aug 2014
This kind of book goes to prove that word of mouth and friend's recommendations are still the most powerful of marketing tools. This is how I found the book, which I purchased for the Kindle app.

It is worth saying that the print edition would be worth it's weight in gold too, so I'll be buying that at some point.

Will it help sales of my works? I don't know. But the book is so much better than many of its competitors, and really is worth the 'higher than usual 'asking price.

The point about Createspace is a big one - you should really buy the book to find out what I mean. But it changed the way I think about going direct with my books. I can honestly say that so far, traditional publishing vs independent - I know which one makes more money - yes, writing is fun, but shouldn't you be rewarded for your hours toiling over the keyboard?

I read somewhere that reading Jane Austen was like a blood transfusion for writers. Well, pick any author you like, JA is one, and I have several others that inspire me.

This book is a lot like that - you read it and bam! Inspiration, motivation and super productivity all in one.

Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great investment!, 12 Sep 2014
As an author who had already published on Kindle and CreateSpace, I bought this book largely for its marketing tips. Although happy with the quality of my product, I knew my lack of marketing 'know how' was letting me down. I found Rick Smith's sections on writing product descriptions and researching key words invaluable. The book was also really useful in explaining how to optimize a handful of marketing strategies without having to spend half of your life on social media sites.

The book is concise and well-written, proving that Rick Smith follows his own good advice to 'Edit, Edit, Edit.' For those who are venturing into self-publishing for the first time, it would be a really useful companion, taking you step-by-step through both the KDP and CreateSpace production processes.I would also wholeheartedly recommend it to those, like myself, who have published already but feel they need to raise their game in some areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CreateSpace and Kindle advice I've seen yet, 12 Aug 2014
As a Kindle publisher for the last couple of years, I've read several books on the subject - some good, some bad, and some mediocre. I wish I had found this one sooner as this is one of the few I'd recommend to others. It's different because it's useful. There's no hype, no upsells, no trying to blind with science, and there's none of the nonsense published by newbies who discovered KDP last week and try to pass themselves off as experts.

It's packed full of useful information, presented in an easy to understand way. It's a good read too and I'm looking forward to implementing Rick's advice. Despite having some modest success with KDP, I hadn't much idea of how to get started with Create Space and now it's all much clearer. Money well spent!

If you're going to buy a book to help you with your venture to make money as a Kindle and/or CreateSpace publisher, then buy this one. Highly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›