5.0 out of 5 stars exciting!
i really enjoyed this book, especially the part were they flew on the chair for the first time. I thought the book was very easy to read and understand and captured my imagination.
Chloe Harvatt age 8
Published on 25 Jun 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Book was filthy clearly used millions of times before
Published 6 days ago by Scotland 1987

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting!, 25 Jun 2000
Chloe Harvatt age 8

4.0 out of 5 stars Top 10!, 17 July 2003
Mrs. V. Roberts "Starps" (Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't believe you can still get this amazing book! Whilst I'm not a complete fan of Ms Blyton, this and it's sequel 'The Wishing Chair Again' are in my top 10 of favourite books from my childhood - and that's a lot of books! It has all the classic ingredients - magic, fantasy, almost-but-not-quite too good to be true children, naughty magical folk such as elves, a mad witch and amazing places to visit! I was raving about this book to a friend with a little girl obsessed with Harry Potter recently - she has gone out to buy it for her and I'm sure any child who is enthralled with the world of Hogwarts will find this almost as engaging. Enid manages to keep most of her own views on the world out of this book and just lets her love of children, magic and story telling go wild. A beautifully written book and as each adventure practically has its own chapter it makes easy reading for young ones - they can have a bedtime adventure a night! If you are a parent - please buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Of Flying chairs, pixies, magicians and more, 25 Oct 2008
As a child, much of my reading was Enid Blyton, and I still remember reading this book and the sequels. I recently started my kids on Enid Blyton and, as I expected, the stories are timeless and the are enjoying them as much as I did.

The Wishing Chair is a magic chair which grows wings and takes Peter and Mollie on adventures, accompanied by Chinky, a pixie whom they rescued from a brutal ogre. The stories are simple: in one they save a village from a pompous and oppressive sorceror; in another they attend a magician's birthday party; in another the chair is made invisible and they have to find a spell to make it visible again. Timeless stories that can be, and should be, as enjoyable to kids now as they were way back when.

Peter and Mollie are of indeterminate age and the characters are quite simple, but it is this which makes it timeless and means that kids today can enjoy them as much as their parents did in the 70s and probably their grandparents did. With each story being 5 or 6 pages we can easily manage a couple of stories a night.

Thankfully this book has managed to escape the ridiculous editing that felled The Faraway Tree, where Fanny became Frannie and the beautiful illustrations were replaced with idiotic cartoons. Here, the illustrations are the same, idyllic drawings that I remember, with a dashingly handsome Peter complete with curl, and a beautiful Mollie. And Chinky has remained Chinky!

Simple, idyllic stories for kids which can still be enjoyed today; so far untouched by editing in the name of PC or modernisation, and a nice change from the violence of Power Rangers or Robots. And the kids still enjoy them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book for Bed-time stories., 1 July 2000
By A Customer
This is a book which I thoroughly enjoyed as a child and which I have just finished reading to my two young children aged 3 and 4. They couldn`t wait to hear the next chapter. Although the children get into all sorts of adventures(typically Enid Blyton)there was never any that were too frightening for them.It really captured their imaginations,and they identified with the two young children in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 17 April 2014
I bought this for my 5 year old. We found my old 'Wishing chair again' book in the loft and she loved it so i set sbout hunting this one down. This is a beautiful book, lovely illustrations and the characters have all retained their original names.

My daughter loves it, we read a chapter every night and she can't wait to get to bed for the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's my Wishing Chair?, 27 April 2013
If I had a chair as wonderful as this I'd never be bored again just think of the adventures I could go on oh what it is to dream a dream zzzz.

5.0 out of 5 stars wicked !, 18 Jan 2011
R. Moore "Ros Moore" (Wellingborough England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is what my 10 yr old grandson asked for for Xmas, he commented "wicked" ! so I guess he really liked it ! so glad that he is READING ! especially Enid Blyton.as I did 69 yrs ago !

5.0 out of 5 stars Still great 30 years later, 9 Nov 2010
I bought this for my 6 year old daughters birthday (to read to her at bedtime) and we're both really enjoying it. It's just as good as I remember from my first read over 30 years ago! So some characters have un-pc names (Chinky etc) but for me this just adds to the nostalgia. Brilliant, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Adventures of the Wishing-Chair (Wishing Chair Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ok, so the words and style is outdated ... but it is written for little children and my five and six-year-olds are loving it. Using that as a criteria, I very much recommend. By the way, if you get hold of an old copy of Shadow The Sheep Dog by Enid Blyton, that is their favourite book of all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful & so imaginitive!!!, 19 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I fell in love with this book over 20 years ago, and am coming back to buy it again. This is a wonderful book from a series of great books, perfect for any child!! ( or even a grown-up!)