Published 8 months ago by John Gladstone

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle sample
Published 10 months ago by R. L. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential purchase for Model based systems engineering practitioners, 29 Mar 2014
This book is, without question, the SINGLE BEST description of the systems modeling language (SysML). I have read pretty much every book and online article on the topic and have never come out with such a clear and holistic understanding of the language and how to use it as I have through reading this book. It is concise, clear and well written. This book also really links the notation to the specific model elements (or rather the relationships you create between model elements).

This book represents a eurika moment for me. After more than 3 years... I finally understand.

Pay no attention to the other review. It was written by someone that hasn't actually read the book! Perhaps the kindle edition does have problems but I would recommend buying a hard copy anyway...mine is full of notes and highlighted sections and you really will be reaching for this on a daily basis so you'll want the paperback.

The book doesn't describe methodology (the author makes no secret this) but after reading it, you will in a much stronger position to define your own.

Do yourself a favour... if you are serious about using SysML for model based systems engineering, buy it immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would definitely recommend this book as the way to go, 12 Dec 2014
I used this book as a companion to Lenny's OCSMP Accelerator Course. I was impressed both with the course and the book - Lenny is certainly a gifted and clear-thinking instructor and explicator of concepts. The book is very readable and very clear, which I appreciate is an achievement since SysML semantics can be quite tricky and complicated. Also, the single example that is threaded through the book serves well to bind the different sections and concepts. I tried to duplicate this model by copying the diagrams, that I found that very productive. If one is interested in becoming competent in the first 2 levels of OCSMP certification, I would definitely recommend this book as the way to go. Even if one desires to master the remaining levels, I haven't found a better introductory text than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SysML book for beginners out there, 15 Oct 2014
This book provide everything a beginner to SysML or MBSE in general needs to know to get it started. Although as the subtitle suggested, it is only a brief guide and does lack more in depth examples and advance uses of the language. I want to commend on the author's easy-to-read language, that I hardly need to re-read any paragraph to understand what the author wants to say. At this price, it's definitely the best go-to book for anyone who want to start learning this language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version DOES Have Diagrams, 2 May 2014
This review is from: SysML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Systems Modeling Language (Kindle Edition)
I have only just purchased the Kindle version of this book. At the time I was hovering over the 'Purchase with 1 Click' button, I had read the three reviews that were available, one 5 star, one 4 star, and one 1 star.
The 1 star review claimed that there were no diagrams in the Kindle book. The review rightly says that a book about a subject that is heavily involved with diagramming that contains no diagrams would be unbelievable. This review worried me greatly.
I agree: so much so that I didn't believe it, and I clicked to spend my 15 quid.
I can now reveal that this review can be the result of nothing more than a technical hitch of some sort. I now have the Kindle version and am looking at a diagram in it at this minute. I am reading it on the Kindle application on an Android tablet.
I have given this review 4 stars. I haven't yet read the book, but I am inclined to trust the judgement of those who have gone before me. Rest assured that the diagrams DO appear in the Kindle book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential If Considering Using SysML, 13 April 2014
As somebody who has worked on projects using SysML this book is long overdue! The explanations of the diagrams are clear and examples used based on a simple satellite system(rather than an ATM or dealer based system) allow the user to rapidly get up to speed with the notation. Hopefully this book should advance the use of SysML on engineering projects.

Anybody considering SysML for an new engineering project should refer to this book beforehand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle sample, 24 Jan 2014
R. L. Taylor "RussT" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I downloaded the Kindle sample of this book to see how it looked on my PC and Kindle Paper White. I have read many documents and text based electronic books but wanted to see what the diagrams looked like before purchasing an electronic version. What do I find ??? No diagrams in the sample of a book about SysML .....beyond belief! Will probably buy the printed version now to be safe.