5.0 out of 5 stars magical
I read the magic faraway tree as a child and when browsing found this book and just had to buy it! This is of course a childrens book but, I feel the book is like an original JK Rowling.. the stories throughout the book are so magical, so beautifully written and you just have to keep on reading to see what land appears at the top of the magic tree next.
The book is...
Published on 15 Jun. 2003 by Clare

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Heavily abridged version
Published on 12 Jan. 2007 by Richard A

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Heavily abridged version, 12 Jan. 2007
As a previous reviewer mentioned, the hardcover Egmont Books edition (ISBN 0603560733) of the "Faraway Tree Collection" has been heavily abridged. However, after comparing this edition with the newer "Politically correct" edition, it is not only the last 6 chapters of the "Faraway Tree" that got chopped but several middle chapters of the "Enchanted Wood" as well. The 20th chapter was also heavily cut to mask the gaps in the storyline caused by the editing.

Egmont, why bother to reproduce these books with the original language, pictures and atmosphere if you end up abridging the contents? Waste of effort in my opinion. This one's going back.

Disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars An American re-write, 10 Oct. 2006
Dr. M. Henley (Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
My wife found the book she had in the loft (the first of this series of three) and my 4 year old daughter loved it. She liked the excitement of a story with ups and downs rather than the short attention span nonsense we read small children these days.

I was dissapointed to find however that this book, the combined trilogy has been Americanised. OK it's not quite Idaho but even still the quant 1940's middle class English language is emasculated and the hatchet of political correctness has fallen. The names are different with Bessie becoming Beth and Fannie becoming Frannie (couldn't have an American having to face that the English language differs around the world and it doesn't mean backside everwhere?) A cousin comes to stay called called Rick, might he have been called Dick? The word queer has also miraculously vanished.

Is this a book for sniggering teenagers or 4 year olds for goodness sake. To do this sort of PC editing robs children of the ability to see that words change their meaning and that the word queer wasn't invented as a term for 'people who love people of the same gender' but has been misappropriated.

Do yourself a favour and buy a second hand copy. This deserves 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, 15 Jun. 2003
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The book is like a magical escapism from your day to day life and who wouldn't want to live in this tree and go to a different land at the top every day, the characters are so lovely and friendly and you can't help but, simply adore them especially Silky the fairy, what child wouldn't just adore her to be their best friend?
I was disappointed when I came to the end of the book I would have loved to read more & more. This is a book I will treasure and pass on to my own children.

1.0 out of 5 stars As a child I loved these books so decided to buy them to read ..., 6 July 2014
As a child I loved these books so decided to buy them to read to my 5 and 6 year old. Well firstly the version received were not as described and as far as the illustrations go well they're a disgrace and an insult to Enid Blyton!!! I'm so disappointed that I don't even want to read them to my children and will hunt around for a better version with lovely illustrations (which add to the magic of the read) so do not waste your money on them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enid Blyton - excellent stories and wonderful writing, 8 Jan. 2007
E. Phillips "Liz Phillips" (Ontario, Canda) - See all my reviews
I read the majority of her books when I was little. Now 34 I still read them to my children (and husband!). It is like reliving my excitement when they beg me to read another chapter (just one more tonight please!!!). Having read the other reviews, I bought my son the 3 volume hard back version a couple of years ago, but will be checking my "originals" to see how many stories were removed or "edited". Also a major major fan of the Famous 5, Malory Towers, The St. Clare twins,the Adventure series, Mr Pink Whistle and countless others. I now live in Canada and have already started preaching the good wholesome fun of these books to my children's friends! Every child should have at least 10 or more of her books. An absolute must! Liz Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Books, 12 April 2013
Great books for my daughter. I haven't rated it five stars due to the fact that this isn't a box set as it is being sold as!. Books arrived this morning but the three books were just sellotaped together. Cant fault the delivery, arrived within 3 days of order and well packaged. Just disappointed, as I purchased this specific set because it is being advertised as a box set.
THIS IS NOT A BOX SET.

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Chapters, 16 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
"The Magic Faraway Tree has been slightly abridged", this is the comment on the chapter page. Having contacted the publishers I found that 6 chapters have been ommitted. "Slightly" is an underestimate if ever there was one. I am very dissapointed and will be returning this volume. I intend to try and purchase originals with full text which will carry the full import of the original story which I remember from Primary School, very kindly read to us by Miss Hall at Mount Carmel in Redditch in the mid to late 50's. What a wonderful trip this was, all the way to the magic lands of the Faraway Tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in the imagination, 28 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
As a child, I loved these books. My friend and I read them numerous times, and spent a lot of time writing stories about magical lands and playing Faraway Tree games. My favourite chapters were the ones about the land of birthdays, and about the characters' adventures with the nasty Dame Slap. These books could hardly be described as great literature, but they contain everything an imaginative child could want. The chapters are fairly short and each book contains several distinct storylines, making it ideal for reading aloud. I read The Enchanted Wood to my son when he was three, and was delighted to discover that the books have been republished in an omnibus edition, so that my children and I can share all these stories again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Magical, 26 Jun. 2006
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My five year old daughter loves having stories read to her so I decided to buy the Far Away Tree stories for her. Prior to this I had never come across the stories before and I wasn't quite sure what to expect...

What we got was a series of Magical stories charting the adventures of Jo, Bessie and Fanny as they go up the Faraway Tree met to inhabitants of the tree and go to the lands that the trees top most branches reach up to.

As one of the other reviewer mentions the language is a bit old fashioned and the characters are a bit stereotyped BUT there is good old fashioned adventure, magic and excitment here!

The highest praise I can give this book is that my wife and I fought each other to take my daughter to bed whilst we were reading this book as we were also entraced by the stories.

Buy it and read it out aloud, it's well worth the effort 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical - a must for all 4+ year olds (and parents!), 29 Dec. 2003
This book takes me straight back to my own childhood - no televisions (or at least a black & white one with only 3 stations), play station, Buzz Lightyear etc... My four and half year old has had to be rationed to two stories from this book a night - he is totally transfixed by it, staring into space and hanging on every word that is read to him. It's in books like this that you really appreciate Enid Blyton's skill as a story-teller - the Faraway Tree Stories should never be allowed to go out of print.
This particular edition is very good value for money though to be honest the illustrations are not great and don't add much to the book. Don't worry though - your children will love it just the same.