5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Book!
I have to say "wow!" Over the last five years or so, I have bought several books on how to write good short stories and this one has surpassed them all. The exercises to compete were very different from those in other guidance books and, so interesting, that I couldn't wait to do them. At the same time, I was learning so much 'new' information, that I couldn't...
Published 19 months ago by R. Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars It is literally going back to school with loads of ...
It is literally going back to school with loads of exercises (read homework) to do. Very readable otherwise, very practical.
Published 27 days ago by I A MADUKA

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Put the fun back in your writing!, 14 Nov. 2014
Freddy Kater "Foster2be" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Bridget Whelan is like a well-educated, very knowledgeable friend who always encourages with a wonderful sense of humour. Writing may be a serious business but no need to take ourselves too seriously. She most. Retained inspired ME to have a go at her hugely enjoyable exercises which are fun and taught me more about technique, planning etc. than a re ent creativevwriting course. A big thank you. This book is terrific for dipping into, at random or from reading beginning to end
One comment: on page 130 please can this be corrected to Mantel, not Mantle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Reading Bridget Whelan's tips about writing is like having the best tutor you ever imagined sitting next to you and whispering all the right things to do in your ear. Years of experience have been distilled down into these pages to produce exercises so inventive and effective they will serve you for years to come. Whether you've been round the block with creative writing classes or are thinking of plunging in for the first time, you won't find a more accessible, informative and fun guide than this. This is a little gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid to try to write, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Haven't tried all the exercises yet - so this is a partial review. It says that there are 30 of them but it feels like a lot more than that because the author breaks some down into seperate parts. Loved the lucky dips - maybe that says more about me than it does about this book, but found myself writing a story over the weekend called The Buzz of a Faint Love. Not sure it's going anywhere or that I'll even finish it, but I really enjoyed myself and there's no way I would have come up with a title like that on my own. This is mainly about fiction with some poetry, but a couple of the exercises are about your own experiences. It's not something I've tried before but they have set me off thinking about things that I just hadn't considered before like where my name came from. I really like the look of the horror exercises. Haven't tried them yet but I think that's what I'm gping to work on next because I think they could help me to write something really scary. I like the examples from famous writers and also the ones from the author. I laughed out loud a couple of times and that wasn't what I was expecting from a creative writing book.
Midget

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Back to Basics Book., 23 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
I cannot recommend it highly enough but, as with any reference book, Back to Creative Writing is far easier to study in printed form than on Kindle (at least on the basic Kindle that I have. I cannot answer for subsequent models which may be far better).
I found the material studies as set out in Back to Creative, down to earth and more than helpful. It's instructive, full of ideas and exercises designed to enable and help ideas to flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Encouraging Guide, 9 April 2015
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
At the end of this book, Bridget Whelan gives a suggested reading list. I found that by that stage I trusted her enough to want to work through it.
She says of one book on the list that it's like chatting to an expert in a wine bar. That was how I would describe her own book. She knows her subject but does not make a big deal of things.......just shows you the basics & makes you feel you can write. What more could you ask?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for new and experienced writers, 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
This helpful book provides exercises and examples of practical ways to improve your writing. It is suitable for those who are still searching for their 'voice' as well as writers who want to extend their range and experiment with new ways of making the words dance of the page. The style is helpful and never patronising. Good for dipping into when seeking inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome!, 12 April 2015
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
I liked it definitely. I think it is an extremely helpful book, it demonstrates different topics with clear explanations.
Quotes at the beginning of every sub-term(topic) are really inspiring.
Exercises are relevant to every topic and help.
I really recommend it for any beginners working on creative writing. GOOD LUCK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, constructive and inspiring, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
This is a power house of a book and Bridget Whelan's energy hums off the page. It is written with the authority of a creative writing tutor but also with warmth and an obvious love of her subject that makes writing seem easy, and writing well appear achievable. By presenting the exercises with an emphasis on play rather than work, Bridget encourages her readers to liberate their imagination. It's a great cure for writer's block!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect little helper, 5 Jan. 2014
D. Noack - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Having attended two of Bridget's courses I was delighted to be able to read her book on creative writing. And just like her classes, this book is inspiring and insightful. It's a perfect 'little helper'! Anybody wishing to work on their creative writing skills will really enjoy this book and find it very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to start writing, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Bridget writes in a friendly and humorous way. Her ideas are thoughtful, funny and inspiring. You feel as if you have a friend with you, guiding you in the right direction. Bridget's ideas for the exercises make you want to write. I defy you not to be scribbling away as you read through her book. It's a must for all budding authors, and would be an asset to anyone interested in the written word.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›