5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Book!, 21 Dec 2013
R. Watson "bookworm" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
I have to say "wow!" Over the last five years or so, I have bought several books on how to write good short stories and this one has surpassed them all. The exercises to compete were very different from those in other guidance books and, so interesting, that I couldn't wait to do them. At the same time, I was learning so much 'new' information, that I couldn't wait to get to the end of the information, so I made my own notes, read to the end, and then went back and did the exercises.

Instead of filling me with hook and plot etc., this book taught me about associating colours and sounds with everyday objects, how to evoke sensation, describe a smell and how a story doesn't have to be realistic but must be believable. It also talked about how to write reviews, so I hope I am doing well with this one. This author set out to enhance the ability of novice and even seasoned story writers by making them 'see into' the thoughts and processes of writing good stories. For me, she definitely did that, so I award a 5 rating. I'm off to see what other unique help she has on offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go with the flow and see where it takes you, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
As Bridget Whelan says in her new e-book, "As soon as a toddler walks she dances. As soon as she can hold a crayon she draws pictures and as soon as she has words she wants stories. Pretty soon she will make her own stories." 'Back to Creative Writing School' is an invaluable guide to getting started with making your own stories.

At some stage we've all experienced a certain inertia to getting started with our writing. In my own field of family history writing there are plenty of excuses to draw upon - the research isn't finished, the story isn't gripping enough, nobody will be interested. And yet how good does it feel when you have some words, however preliminary, on the page? The give-it-a-go activities in Bridget's book will take you there. As Bridget herself says, "Inspiration is more likely to come if you have a pen in your hand or your fingers are already tapping away at the keyboard."

The 30 week-by-week activities provide a structured framework to get your ideas flowing; go with the flow and see where it takes you. Or you might prefer to dip in here and there, trying out the activities that grab you. Either way, I reckon you'll enjoy it. Bridget's warm tone and witty asides run throughout, and her first-hand experience of running writing classes shines through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid to try to write, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Haven't tried all the exercises yet - so this is a partial review. It says that there are 30 of them but it feels like a lot more than that because the author breaks some down into seperate parts. Loved the lucky dips - maybe that says more about me than it does about this book, but found myself writing a story over the weekend called The Buzz of a Faint Love. Not sure it's going anywhere or that I'll even finish it, but I really enjoyed myself and there's no way I would have come up with a title like that on my own. This is mainly about fiction with some poetry, but a couple of the exercises are about your own experiences. It's not something I've tried before but they have set me off thinking about things that I just hadn't considered before like where my name came from. I really like the look of the horror exercises. Haven't tried them yet but I think that's what I'm gping to work on next because I think they could help me to write something really scary. I like the examples from famous writers and also the ones from the author. I laughed out loud a couple of times and that wasn't what I was expecting from a creative writing book.
Midget

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory reading for writers?, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
I found this book really useful. There are loads of exercises that you can dip into and whilst I didn't try them all, the ones I did were extremely practical and certainly got the creative juices flowing. For any writer who needs a kick start, this book is invaluable. I really enjoyed the exercises on choosing character names and agree wholeheartedly that unless your aim is to deliberately confuse, then you shouldn't choose two characters whose names begin with the same letter. Many times I have had to go back and reread a chapter because of confusing identities in a writer's work.

The book is well set out and the activities easy to pick and choose from. My only regret is that I didn't read this book sooner as now I may just have to go back and check my own novel for all kinds of literary devices that hadn't occurred to me before. A great aid to writers that should be compulsory reading - Bridget's book that is - not mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wannabe writer? Get this gem!, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
This handy book is a must, not only for absolute beginners, but also for those who have already ventured into the creative writing craft. The exercises are useful, fun to do and provide surprising results. Ideas may come from staring at the clouds, but they'll advance in surprising rapidity with a few of Bridget's well-conceived exercises. While her enthusiasm flows from the pages, the budding writer is swept forward on a tide of ideas that are unlikely to have occurred otherwise. Her tips on what to avoid along the way are every bit as valid and thought provoking. The whole thing is written in a light easy going manner - easy to read and comprehend. This is a winner for Bridget Whelan and a necessary companion for the wannabe novelist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what it says on the cover., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
A really useful book to work through. I've had a good look through and like the style and the content. It's got plenty of good exercises alongside theory that is simply, but clearly explained. Each task comes with a succinct summing up of its purpose. This is a practical book about writing, and I think it's a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put the fun back in your writing!, 14 Nov 2014
Freddy Kater "Foster2be" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Bridget Whelan is like a well-educated, very knowledgeable friend who always encourages with a wonderful sense of humour. Writing may be a serious business but no need to take ourselves too seriously. She most. Retained inspired ME to have a go at her hugely enjoyable exercises which are fun and taught me more about technique, planning etc. than a re ent creativevwriting course. A big thank you. This book is terrific for dipping into, at random or from reading beginning to end
One comment: on page 130 please can this be corrected to Mantel, not Mantle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
Reading Bridget Whelan's tips about writing is like having the best tutor you ever imagined sitting next to you and whispering all the right things to do in your ear. Years of experience have been distilled down into these pages to produce exercises so inventive and effective they will serve you for years to come. Whether you've been round the block with creative writing classes or are thinking of plunging in for the first time, you won't find a more accessible, informative and fun guide than this. This is a little gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for new and experienced writers, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
This helpful book provides exercises and examples of practical ways to improve your writing. It is suitable for those who are still searching for their 'voice' as well as writers who want to extend their range and experiment with new ways of making the words dance of the page. The style is helpful and never patronising. Good for dipping into when seeking inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, constructive and inspiring, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Back to Creative Writing School (Kindle Edition)
This is a power house of a book and Bridget Whelan's energy hums off the page. It is written with the authority of a creative writing tutor but also with warmth and an obvious love of her subject that makes writing seem easy, and writing well appear achievable. By presenting the exercises with an emphasis on play rather than work, Bridget encourages her readers to liberate their imagination. It's a great cure for writer's block!

Back to Creative Writing School