5.0 out of 5 stars The scent of letting go
Binny isn't in the Christmas mood, so she ducks into the first shop she can find to avoid the cheer of another mother. What she finds there is far more than simply some items she has no interest in buying.

Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A short story
I chose this as I loved The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Whilst I understand that this is a short story, I feel that the ending was abrupt and disappointing.
Published 5 months ago by Laura J

5.0 out of 5 stars The scent of letting go, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Faraway Smell of Lemon - A Christmas Short Story (Kindle Edition)

Hello, my name is Davida and I'm a Rachel Joyce addict. I am hereby publicly admitting that after I read her last novel "Perfect" I couldn't wait to read something else by her. So I immediately bought her short story "A Faraway Smell of Lemon," despite knowing that it was a Christmas story. (Being Jewish and living in Israel, most of these holiday stories don't interest me.) But I am truly glad I did, since it was not at all like any Christmassy tale I'd ever read before.

This is really about Binny, a woman who - much like me - isn't much of a housekeeper. So when she finds herself in a specialty shop of cleaning equipment, she feels very much out of her element. But that's not Binny's real problem, and with the help of the shop assistant, she finds herself on a journey of self discovery. Where she finds it taking her, surprises both Binny and the reader, and all within a mere 20 pages of prose.

This is very much a Joyce theme. Joyce knows exactly how to take something completely ordinary and allow it to affect her characters in an extraordinary way. More importantly, the emotional somersaults her characters go through are handled in a matter-of-fact manner, and never seem overly sentimental. With all this, she also includes almost poetic descriptions that become visually alive to the imaginations of her readers.

I'd be fooling myself if I found any fault with this story, aside from the desire to want more. With her short story "A Faraway Smell of Lemon" Rachel Joyce deserves yet again, a full five stars out of five.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too short!, 8 Dec 2013
I know it's a short story. However I love Joyce's writing so much I am hungry for more. Perhaps she could share a collection of short stories with us.?

4.0 out of 5 stars A Faraway Scent of Lemons, 22 Mar 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Binny needs to sort out Christmas for her children in about half a day. She does not want to do it because she can barely find the energy or the willpower to put one foot in front of the other because Oliver has walked out on her. She goes into a shop very much at random to avoid talking to someone and unlikely as it seems she may just have come to the right place.

I enjoyed this quirky short story which as well as being entertaining reading has some good advice for when you’re struggling to cope with an emotional problem. Quickly read but worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Fantastic!, 11 Dec 2013
This is a wonderful story of love and forgiveness - the perfect Christmas read! I would highly recommend it to thosevwho loved Harold Fry ... and to everyone else as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Jan 2014
lures you in :)

this short story lures you in and keeps you rapt until the very last word , loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sad but also wonderful, 11 Jan 2014
It made me stop and think of all the people I have loved and lost, but also how wonderful it is to love and how important being with friends and family is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seasonal., 27 Dec 2013
Uplifting and full of the real spirit of Christmas .lifts you out of the winter doldrums . a real joy .

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 26 Dec 2013
A beautiful story. Perfect for an hour's reading time.
The loss of Oliver,of friends,of childhood. Again Rachel Joyce has . impressed me. I've been hooked since Harold Fry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genious, 24 Dec 2013
I absolutely loved this beautiful short story. I stumbled across this author by mistake and so glad I have, I'm already lining up the other two books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it wasn't just a short story., 5 Jan 2014
This short story gripped me from the start. From the scent and sounds of the market, through to what , unfortunately was the end. To me, it was quite different to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and I would not have realised they were the same author from the story.