5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a must for all expectant parents!, 22 April 2014
I defy any expectant parent not to feel excited about the birth of their baby after reading this book. As a society, we celebrate pregnancy but dread birth. Centuries of over-medicalisation and dramatised media portrayal of childbirth has turned what was once considered a normal everyday life event into a hospital emergency and a terrifying test of a woman's pain threshold.

If like me you've ever asked yourself why and how childbirth has become such a frightening prospect when other mammals seem to give birth so effortlessly, then you'll find the answers in this insightful and thoroughly enjoyable book.

Mindful Hypnobirthing is full of simple, practical techniques to help you to enjoy your pregnancy, labour and parenting experience and gives you an understanding of how your baby and your body work together during pregnancy and birth. There are lots of "ahh, that makes perfect sense now" lightbulb moments that help you to trust in your body's ability to give birth and enjoy what should be the best day of your life! Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can women have control over the quality of their birth experiences? This book says yes - absolutely!, 16 Mar 2014
The author experienced two radically different types of birth: the first stressful and disorientating, which ultimately led to postnatal depression, the second calm and empowering, enabling her to bond immediately with her son.

I was eager to read this book because, like the author, I had experienced very different births and I really wanted to know why, especially as I have daughters. All of my births were painful but the second two were definitely better. I thought it might have something to do with staying calm, having a nice environment, being allowed to choose my birthing position and focusing my thoughts on to my favorite beach rather than on the gas masks hanging on the wall but I wasn't sure.

Here are the tools and techniques you need to give yourself the best birth experience possible, plus the opportunity of a complete or at least a significant reduction in pain limiting the need/risks associated with medical interventions.

Part 1 focusses on pregnancy: the techniques such as visualization, relaxation and mindful practices essential for a positive mindful hypno birth.

Part 2 is all about labour: learning how to take the techniques practiced in part 1 and apply them to the birth.

Part 3 deals with the often tricky first few weeks after the birth.

As well as containing helpful case studies and tips from other parents who have used the techniques, Mindful Hypno Birthing is very well written: complex material is explained in an easy to understand way and it is structured in small sections, most 1-2 pages, so that you can read it in a series of tea breaks.

If you want to find out more, the author has helpfully included free hypnosis and relaxation tracks to accompany the book for you to try at:[...]

I think the techniques in this book are useful far beyond pregnancy and birth, ultimately helping you to become a calmer parent.

If you want to guarantee the best birth experience possible, or like me just want to make sense of your birth experiences and be equipped to give the best advise to your daughters - I strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thinking woman's book on hypnobirthing, 6 Mar 2014
Read this book in one sitting, I am a midwife and love the practical tips in it. Much less airy-fairy than most pregnancy guides and full of actually useful information. Also one of the best explanations for how the mind and body work I have ever read. I also particularly like they way it tells you why doing certain things matter, rather than being dogmatic in a patronising way, I know a lot of people who have been put off hypnobirthing because some teachers have this arrogance that you have to do it their way 'or else'. This book makes it common sense, not a cult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 14 Mar 2014
I had this book on advance order and was eagerly awaiting it's release. I am a 3rd year midwifery student and this book is excellent for healthcare professionals and prospective parents who are looking to explore the power of the mind. Well written and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 7 Mar 2014
I have read a number of books on pregnancy and birth over my two pregnancies. This is one of the better ones. Easy to read without dumbing down or being patronising and full of practical and positive tips. I did a mindful mamma course with my first baby and wish i'd had this book then too. Will be recommending to all my pregnant friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and down to earth without skimping on science, 2 April 2014
As a psychologist I was pleased to see that everything in this book was backed up by research on the psychology of birth, and as a mum I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Packed full of useful practical tips and suggestions, lovely drawings that bring the text to life, and some wonderful positive birth stories that illustrate how it all works in practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for anyone wanting to know more about a hypnobirth, 26 Mar 2014
Dr. Laird (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
A midwife in a high risk unit told me she had read this book and thought it was brilliant, so I took a look.
I was impressed how clearly written it was and based on research without being too dull!
It gives you everything you need to prepare your mind for the birth of your baby.
I particularly liked the section for birth partners, who are often not considered but who play a key role in
providing that reassuring presence for the woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book! Working wonders so far..., 23 May 2014
I agree with all the other reviews on here completely. So I won't repeat what they've all said. Some things I'd add are:

The 3 x mp3 tracks that accompany the book are the best hypnosis tracks I've ever heard. Sophie's voice is so easy to listen to, the background music is calming and does not distract from her voice, and the quality of sound (I use stereo headphones) is perfect. The book tells you how important it is to use these tracks at least 3 times a week to start with, then everyday as your pregnancy progresses, so it's vital that the tracks are enjoyable/easy to listen to often. I find myself looking forward to 40 minutes of me time each evening knowing that I'm taking positive steps towards a relaxing homebirth (if all goes to plan). Plus I also pop it on if I wake up in the middle of the night and find it difficult to switch my mind off...it's so relaxing and allows me to switch off my thoughts and go back to sleep.

The book is full of practical advice, like reading/watching plenty of positive birth stories. We're mostly conditioned to believe that birth is a medical emergency full of pain and things that go wrong. This made me fearful of the approaching birth of my 1st baby. I now follow Sophie's advice and focus only on the positive stories. They're the ones which don't usually make the headlines but go a long way in addressing my fears and help me to be relaxed about the birth.

Unlike many other self-help books, Sophie does not repeat herself over and over again through the chapters. She also doesn't baffle the reader with constant references to medical jargon/university studies etc. Everything is straight to the point with just the right amount of information to help you understand and to be assured that it's all factual without going over the top.

With 4 months to go before the birth of my baby, I can't comment on how effective the book is in achieving a relaxing birth, but I can say how it's helping me to prepare and feel I can take control of this birth and make it a positive one. I'll post another review after the birth to say how it helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical, easy to read, powerful stuff. The best guide to labour - throw away the rest!, 25 April 2014
This book is such a powerful tool for women who want to prepare for their labour & birth. Easy to read, broken up into short bite size sections, perfect for the busy woman. Just as useful for your fifth baby as for your first. There is a lot of wisdom in this book that is not in any other birth preparation book. As a midwife I'll be recommending this book to women. Reading this book is such good preparation for labour, it should be available on prescription!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, easy to read, interesting and confidence building., 11 April 2014
I am booked to go onto the hypnobirthing course that this book is based on and I am really looking forward to getting more tips and techniques of how to reinforce the positive and natural steps of childbirth. I am due to have my baby in a few weeks and feel excited rather than worried having since reading this book. It is not only easy to read, but very interesting. It is full of simple, easy ways to help you have the right mind set around childbirth.
Would recommend this to anyone who is pregnant.