5.0 out of 5 stars God is after me
I love Rae Earl. Well, she's shared three years of her intimate thoughts, passions, and fears with us. I have so enjoyed learning them, rooting for her all the way.

Published 11 months ago by Natasha Holme

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
I found this book to be not too bad !! But I think that's also the problem because it didn't really catch my attention with anything, if you have seen the TV series that comes from these two books, then these books seem like a watered down version as they just not as exciting and Rae isn't as good
Published 8 months ago by Sarah Lamb

5.0 out of 5 stars God is after me, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Paperback)

In this second volume of Rae's diaries, once again, the skillful editing of the adult author carries us fluently through her mind and story whilst perfectly preserving the feel of the angst-ridden scribblings of a sex-starved, obese teenager struggling with her mental health.

Somehow volume 2 of Rae's diaries is even more engaging and laugh-out-loud-funnier than volume 1. And this second volume brings us much more insight into the history and day-to-day experience of Rae's mental condition.

"God is after me and will kill me if I don't close the door 36 times."
... Wow.

Don't burn your diaries, Rae. You'll want those when you're eighty.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are all Rae, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
In our heads, even as grown ups, we retain some of the insecurities of our teenage years. We may look well adjusted in society but may still have obsessive thoughts about ourselves and others. This book, fairly different from the TV series, is a message of hope not just for anyone who has experienced mental health issues, but also for anyone who has ever suffered from self-doubt. Life does tend to get better. Well done Rae. What an inspiring woman. Read. This. Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rae Earl is honest and hilarious, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
Darker than the original as Rae carries on in life, but every inch as funny and relatable. If you're looking for something like the TV adaptation, it's not going to make you happy. It's the very real (although abridged) account of a person with a mental illness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like welcoming home a long-lost friend..., 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Paperback)
I'm sooo pleased that Rae Earl decided to share more of her diaries with the world - I feel such an affinity with her and it just goes to show that no matter what era you grow up in, teenage issues remain predominantly the same. And for some they're much harder to deal with than others...

My Madder Fatter Diary covers the whole of 1990 and a good part of 1991. 1990 is Rae's A Level year, but it's seriously hounded by the fact that whilst everyone expects her to concentrate on her schoolwork, Rae can't stop thinking about Haddock. She's also got other problems - her worsening OCD and depression being just two of them. And it's these aspects that give MMFD a much darker air than the original...

It's clear from the outset that Rae has some serious, unresolved issues (and it's not just about Brian Adams being at number one FOREVER!). On the outside she's happy go-lucky Rae, always up for a laugh and spending time with her friends. But there's a side to her that not many people see. Her mum and best friend, Mort, are really the only two people who get to see the other side of Rae - the insecure, anxious and depressed young woman who often finds it difficult to do the simplest of things.

I really felt for Rae when school finished and she realised everyone was moving on. She heads to Exeter University, but it's soon clear that she won't stay the course and after only a couple of weeks returns home. But it's not the home she left behind - all her friends are pretty much gone and there's no one she can really turn to. But for all her issues - real or not - Rae still has it in her to change and slowly but surely she does just that.

As previously mentioned, this has a much darker tone than the previous edition. In the introduction present-day Rae does explain that she edited much of the diaries for the simple fact that a lot of the entries simply read 'God Help Me - PLEASE'. However, as the Rae of the diaries gets older she does become more honest - we learn more about her time in the psychiatric ward, the thoughts that go round in her head much of the time, and about a particularly upsetting incident that happened when she was younger which goes some way to explaining why she is the way she is.

To say anything more would be to give the game away, so I won't. But I would urge anyone - young and old - to read this, especially anyone who has had similar mental health problems in their past (or is still dealing with them) or is close to someone who has them. Mental health, then and now, is still stigmatised to a certain degree and until we have more people like Rae Earl who are willing to share their experiences and show us that it's ok to feel the way we do, it will remain so.

5.0 out of 5 stars where were you when I was a teenager?!, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
I think this book should be handed out to all teenagers on their 15th birthday. Reading this compared to my own teenage diaries I think there are whole sentences and diary entries that are word perfect matches! Despite getting my a levels exactly 18 years after Rae, the truths in this book are universal and constant, and I wish I could have had this book to get me through those nights writing horrible things about myself in my own shabby notebooks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 May 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
Really good read glad to find out more about Rae and the latest chapter of her teens as always it was witty and honest and she loved hull not many people do lol!! They should try to get Rae to come back to hull in 2017 when they are uk city of culture

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, more importantly I have changed, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
I have never ever connected to a book or someone like I have to Rae Earl and her diaries. From start to finish I couldn't help but compare her downs to my own, the way she thinks, the way she views herself is me to a tee; and she's right, all we want is to love and be loved.

I feel I have a way to go but because of this fantastic woman I feel like I can be anything, do anything and maybe just maybe I can start letting others in and start showing me for who I really am.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excrutiatingly brilliant!, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
Such a brave lady to have bared her soul. I loved the music references from a time not so long before my own & sadly I understand some of the issues with which she battled. Written through the eyes of a teen with honesty as it was never mean to be released to the world. Enjoyable read & despite being quite different to the tv series you can still imagine the character who plays Rae when reading the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 12 Mar. 2014
I'm biased because I LOVE the tv show,
but it's... great!

Haven't finished reading it yet, but so far, no problems with the kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Kindle Edition)
I loved this sequel to my mad fat diary. I really connected with Rae! A powerful insight into the world of mental health and how it affects teenagers aswell as adults!

My Madder Fatter Diary