This is a slow and drawn-out tale set in a small town in Washington State, near the sea. There are paranormal attributes.

A black seal keeps coming to visit the harbour each year on the same day and this attracts attention from various persons including local kids, shopkeepers who run a festival around the seal, a fisherman and a naturalist who wants to do PhD research on whether the seal is a mutation produced as a result of a past oil spill.

The characters are not easy to like and I didn't feel interested in any of them, so after the first quarter of the book I skipped on to read the last quarter. I don't believe I missed anything much. The last part is nice to read as it brings a legend to life and explains a lot of what was going on but just abstrusely hinted at in the earlier parts.

Really what put me off the read was the amount of time that is spent with the unintelligent kids and their constant wishful thinking about sexual behaviour. All of that could have been tightened up to make the book more involving. If someone can slightly read minds, I'd like to see the girl put this skill to better use.
OK I read the first one and thought that it was solid so much so that when this, the second landed I couldn’t wait to start spending time with the characters from the original. Whilst the story has some wonderful twists and the principle character is a joy to be around, the author seems to have made a pretty fatal flaw with the ending, so much so that it felt like the book had been building to something pretty special only to be dashed within the last couple of pages.

Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy it, however when I get short changed on an ending that feels pretty damning then I tend to get not only annoyed but frustrated about the time I spent with it. I just hope that the next outing is better although at the moment, its going to take time for me to cool off from how I feel at this one.
on 7 June 2014
I love Elizabeth George. I picked up the first book in this series by accident, not knowing it was a young adult read. The first book was compelling and was so delightful (but safe in content) I allowed by 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son to read it. The Edge of the Water is another good book in this series, although beware, I would not allow my daughter and son to read this one at their ages. Whilst Elizabeth has kept to a nice clean read in respect of no swearing etc, there is a deal of teenage sex in the book along with a lot of 'sexting' (sending explicit photographs via mobile phone texts). Therefore this is a book I will not be passing on to my children until they are at least 16!!
on 11 May 2014
I really enjoyed the first book in this series. The second book was good, but at the end I felt it was a little rushed when a few more chapters would have been better. There was just so much to mention in only a small space. I have given this book 5 stars because the rest of the book was excellent, the story was gripping. There is no indication at the end of the book whether there will be another one unlike the first book. I don't want to say too much in case it ruins the story for others to enjoy.
on 25 May 2014
I could not believe this was Elizabeth George. The central idea is so ridiculous. The worst book that I have read for a long time
on 11 May 2014
as a fan of Inspector Lindsey books, I was pleased to discover that Elizabeth George has created another likeable character. although in my mid seventies I have been enthralled with this new series and have introduced my teenage grand daughter to them. she is also enjoying the story so far. can't wait for the third one to be published.
on 10 November 2014
First book was really good and left with a cliffhanger. The second book is disappointing the 'cliffhanger' was 'mentioned' several pages into the book as an aside. It hasn't flowed at all and haven't picked it up again on the kindle. I will finish it but it wont be a priority
on 11 September 2014
Different
.just finished reading the second of these two books. Although I enjoyed reading them, and there is obviously going to be another in the series, I don t think they are intended for adult readers, probably the older teens.
on 4 October 2015
Haven't quite finished it yet but it's a good read. Elizabeth George is an all time favorite of mine.
Not sure what age group this is aimed though
on 26 June 2014
I liked the plot line of the story and felt like she dealt with some key teenage issues. I recommend this book largely for teenagers.