4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter of Smoke and Bone book 3
3.5 stars

Published 1 month ago by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

2.0 out of 5 stars So, so dissapointing
Published 10 days ago by Alexa

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter of Smoke and Bone book 3, 25 July 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
3.5 stars

I absolutely adore Laini Taylor's writing style and I have devoured loved all of the books in this series like they were made of the most delicious, decadent chocolate. So it'll come as no surprise when I say that I had high expectations for the final book in the trilogy, in fact my expectations were so high that I was almost scared to start reading Dreams of Gods and Monsters because I was worried that there was no way it would be able to live up to them. I can't even begin to tell you how much it pains me to say this but unfortunately my fears did kind of come true.

I don't want to say that this was a horrible novel because it really, really wasn't BUT it didn't quite manage to reach the highs of the earlier books. It still has Laini Taylor's beautiful, descriptive writing and it still has the characters we've come to know and love so much but I did find the story dragged in places and there were actually times when I wanted to put the book down and walk away which is unheard of for me with this series. I was torn between giving this book a 3 and 4 star rating but the parts I loved I REALLY loved so I've been generous and gone with the higher number.

I have been rooting for Karou & Akiva since the very beginning but I was nervous that there was no way they would be able to find their way back to each other after everything they had both seen and done. There has been betrayal and hurt on both sides and it isn't going to be easy for either of them to get past that. Not to mention the fact that they're both on opposite sides of a war that has been raging for centuries. Even if they want to be together they would have to leave everyone else that they love and care about for that to happen, unless they can find a way to make the chimaera and angels work together. Now that both sides have a common enemy and both stand little chance of surviving unless they put their differences aside they are closer to a truce than they have ever been in the past but that doesn't mean putting aside over a thousand years of hatred is going to be easy and it's going to take a lot of patience on both sides if they are going to have a chance of success.

I absolutely loved the way the author brings the two sides together, it isn't an easy truce and there are times when I feared it wouldn't be successful but it is so cleverly written that it was believable that these enemies would be able to put the past behind them even if it is only temporarily. I loved seeing Karou and Akiva working together to achieve their goals, this is something they have dreamed of since they first met a whole lifetime ago and now it is finally within reach. The story contains heart-stopping action, some unexpected twists and moments that absolutely broke my heart. I was a sobbing, hysterical mess during some scenes and towards the end I was crying tears of happiness. Laini Taylor pulled on my heart strings for sure and it's the fact that she can make me so invested in the lives of her characters that made me go with the higher rating for this story.

It isn't only Karou and Akiva that I'm invested in though, I also absolutely adore Zuzana, Mik, Ziri, Issa and Liraz and was just as keen to see how things would play out for them too. It's unusual for a series to have so many side characters that I become attached to and I desperately wanted all of my favourites to get a happy ending. I fell more in love with these characters throughout this book seeing their loyalty to Karou, Akiva and each other. They are all willing to risk everything in the hope of achieving peace in Eretz and risks like that aren't always rewarded so I was incredibly nervous about how things would play out.

As you can see there was a lot to love about Dreams of Gods and Monsters so you're probably wondering why I was disappointed. I don't really want to dwell on the negative but I hated that so much of the story was told from the point of view of a complete stranger. Eliza's character seems to have been included here as a convenient way of tying certain plot threads together and it felt like she had been added on as an afterthought. I had no connection to her because I've not spent the previous two books getting to know her. Quite frankly I couldn't care less about her and the chapters that were from her point of view left me feeling bored and irritated. I wasn't interested in the pointless drama between her and a work colleague and I could have done without learning her family history. I just wanted to get back to Karou & Akiva or any of the other characters I love.

Towards the end of the book I also found myself getting incredibly irritated at the way things kept contriving to keep Karou and Akiva apart. The will they / won't they pull between them has kept me hooked throughout the whole series but there comes a point when it starts to get a little ridiculous and overdone. I just think there was a point at about three quarters of the way into the book where it would have been nice for things to come together for them. Then you add in the fact that the series doesn't really have an absolute resolution, although a lot of lose threads have been tied up to me it definitely felt that things have been left open for a sequel and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. I just think if we hadn't had Eliza added to the mix we could have trimmed a good hundred or more (boring) pages from the story and also had a more resolved ending. If the story had been tightened up like that it would have been a much more gripping and addictive read and I think I'd probably have finished it in one sitting.

Like I said I don't want to dwell on the negative though because even though Dreams of Gods and Monsters wasn't my favourite book this is still one of my favourite series and Laini Taylor is definitely an amazing author. A not so good book from her is still better than most of the other books out there so when I rate this a 3.5 star read by her standards that's probably still the equivalent of 5 star books by many other authors. If you haven't started the series yet then I honestly can't recommend Daughter of Smoke and Bone highly enough, I reread the previous books before starting this one and I loved them even more the second time around. There is no doubt that I will buy anything Laini Taylor writes in the future, I can't think of another author who writes so beautifully and I'm excited to see what she comes up with next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, and a prose both real and like chocolate., 19 April 2014
Inga Hillens "Tokimeki" (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreams of Gods and Monsters: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
The best book yet, and a wonderful conclusion. Heck, I even cried a little (without spoiling anything: Liraz and Karou and a canteen). Alive with snappy retorts, humour, feeling and an unexpected wisdom that sometimes just hits you over the head. Go read it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to a great series, 27 April 2014
I hugely enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy. If you're reading this review, I bet you did too, and I bet nothing I could say could put you off buying it. I absolutely couldn't wait to read it, and on the whole, this final book doesn't disappoint.

All the old characters make a return, along with some interesting new ones, and both the war-focussed and the romantic plotlines are satisfyingly resolved. This is an extremely long book (I read it on my kindle, but the hardcopy must be around 600 pages), but between the intriguing plot, engaging characters, and strong writing style, it never dragged - though I found it to be slightly less of a page-turner than the previous instalment.

This series has always trod a strange line between YA paranormal romance/urban fantasy, and the sort of full-blown high fantasy that George R Martin would be proud of.For me, the first book fell more into the former category, especially towards the end, while the second book prioritised war and history over forbidden love. This instalment falls somewhere in-between, combining scenes of relatively normal life on earth with full-scale battles in another world.

I enjoy both of those genres, but I prefer this series when it focusses on the latter, and gives the reader strange creatures and conspiracies in other worlds rather than concentrating on the romance between an angel and a (more or less) human girl. For some reason, the relationship between Karou and Akiva doesn't do much for me. He doesn't capture my imagination, and they never seem to have much chemistry. Things were better in Book Two, when there was real tension and distance between them and I started to warm to their story, but here, the author seemed to be manufacturing reasons to keep them apart, and it didn't really capture my imagination. It's odd, because the relationship between the two supporting characters, Mik and Zuzana, is always both touching and funny, and a new cross-species love affair that sprung up in this book really touched me too.

The more fantastical side of things continued to be very well done. We get more history, more folklore and more of the ongoing war between chimera and angels, along with lots of internal conflicts within the two sides. We finally get to see the Stelians, a different race of angels with a totally different culture and history and different powers. There are all sorts of revelations and drama. With the new ruler of the angels "off-screen" for 95% of the time and the White Wolf dead, it sometimes felt like we were lacking an immediately loathable villain. The latter really made the second book for me, so though I couldn't regret his well-deserved death, I did miss his effect on the plot. That said, Ziri's attempts to portray him to keep the army under control and the internal struggles it causes him were some of the highlights of the book. Generally, I really couldn't fault the fantasy side of things.

From reading some other reviews, I suspect I'm in a minority here, but one of my very favourite aspects was the completely new plot involving a genetics PHD student who has terrifying, literally heart-stopping dreams about the end of the world, in which the apocalypse is her fault, and who is hiding some initially undisclosed secret about herself and her family. The "what on earth is going on here" aspect of this reminded me of the sense of mystery I loved so much in the first book, when you didn't know why Karou was collecting teeth for monsters. And when the answers were finally revealed, the backstory and revelations it led to were amazing.

Overall, not quite a perfect book, due mainly to the sometimes lacklustre romance, but a really fantastic one all the same, and absolutely worth a read. A fitting end to a great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this series, 22 April 2014
To misquote Eliza: People with this book in their hands shouldn't make plans. I devoured it like a dark monster. Sad that it is the final book, the characters are so real to me, I fear the inevitable film adaptation cannot do the imagination of Laini justice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic- but not as fantastic as the first two.*****SPOILERS ALERT****, 26 April 2014
So I completely fell in love with the first book (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) and did not put it down-any chance i got- and i literally mean any, i read it. Finished it and was left on the edge until the second book (Days of Blood and Starlight)-brilliant by the way and then died waiting for the final book -Dreams of Gods and Monsters-it took ages for the UK release date- loved the first two so much that I preordered it three months in advance-and then it arrived. Smelled the book- *I like new book smell*- (you may like petrol or glue or bacon in the morning- but I like books), and opened it and began to read. And I read and read and read. And then I realised half way through that I may have lost some interest in the joy of reading this book; for a purpose to take you to a world that you have created in your mind and where only you can influence the image. This image of the book was, In my opinion slightly rushed. Moving onto Eliza and her story- could have ran it parallel within the first two rather than cramming it in- but I still do love the idea.

Laini Taylor has an imagination that CANT NOT and sadly WILL NOT be captured in the cinematic screen. Her language is too- now lets see, whats the word I'm looking for... sweet? Sweetly written? Its unconventional poetry within the conventional realms of a fantasy book, that adds to the organised jittering story line perfectly. Her language is beyond commendable as it forces you to blindly fall into a world that you could only wish would exist, and once you've entered, you can not turn back.

Which brings me onto the ending. Yes I wanted Akiva and Karou to unite- but maybe there was a more heart wrenching way to do it? not to kill them off but some other way-any other way? I did feel slightly deflated at the end regarding these two, but hey, she had to pick an ending and I'm just glad they didn't die.
Love Zuze and Mik- love them! End of.
Liraz and Ziri- hmmm, made me think, but I guess we all felt sorry for him, so here you go Ziri, now yo can feel her warm wings instead of Karous- one thing I am looking forward to are the cinematics of Karou's consciousness over how she feels maybe some, teeny tiny, itsy bitsy bit of an old unconscious love for him, but in Thiago's body, and also Akiva and Karous' fire-revoked, path burring, yearning gazes. This is GOING to be unbearably sexy.
Not sure how I feel about the Vatican getting a role in this, but realising that it gives another form of connection to 'our' world only makes 'their world' feel all the more real- *Que wishes of turning this trilogy into reality.*

One last thing I would like to point out is that across all these books, the one of many primal roles of what made the story all the more 'I MUST read on to see what happens', is the layout. Complete genius. Breaking down small moments like a gaze or the draw of a sword, gives this book a sense of a discrepant dimension, which only draws the reader in to a whole new realm of time and physical presence.
So? Best trilogy I have read-EVER.

2.0 out of 5 stars So, so dissapointing, 20 Aug 2014
Alexa (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I love the first two books in this series and devoured them in a week. Therefore I was so excited to get my hands on this final installment. It started off slowly and I had hopes that this would quickly pick up...but it never did. New characters were introduced who, frankly, I didn't care about. So many chapters were devoted to the new character, Eliza, and I felt no connection to her at all. I honestly didn't care what she was doing back on earth as I wanted to know what was happening in Eretz. Every chapter that focused on her I just wanted to rush through and felt like a deviation to the proper story. I also felt her character development was jumpy and that it didn't make much sense and that she was only added in to be an 'information dump'.

I also felt that the relationship between Karou and Akiva was starting to get a bit tiring. There's only so many times you can read a 'should I, shouldn't I' internal dialogue before it gets repetitive and tedious. Their relationship doesn't seem to development much at all through this book and I didn't get the excitement from these two that I did in the last two books.

I found the conclusion of the story unfulfilling. I felt many characters didn't get their comeuppance and made me feel that these loose ends weren't tied off. Not much seems to happen through the course of the story and, unlike the other two novels, I really had to force myself to carry on reading. It took me about 2 weeks to get trough this book and on a number of occasions I was tempted to give up completely.

Rarely have I been so disappointing in the conclusion of a trilogy. I had initially felt that this trilogy would become one of my favorites but now I feel that it will just be relegated to just another series I read and will quickly forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great End to a Fantastic Series, 14 Aug 2014
I really enjoyed this book and it was a nice finish to the series. I am a bit sad that I won't hear more of Karou, Akiva, and Zuzana though as those were my favourite characters throughout the whole series.

I thought this book tied things up nicely and explained things in more detail so I understood the world more. There were a few bits towards the end which confused me a little or were a bit more far out but I went with it and I personally do not feel it detracted from the story.

The story starts up where the last one finishes in the dessert of Morocco. The Serpaphim have come to Earth and shown themselves to the humans in order to acquire arms to take back to Eretz to fight the Chimeara. This would be extremely disastrous and so the Chimeara team up with the the Misbegotton Seraphims to stop him.

There are a number of new characters who make an appearance in this book, some who only have a small part to play, while others like Eliza and Scarab, have bigger parts to play. I really liked Eliza and was so intrigued by her throughout the whole book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting conclusion, 25 April 2014
well worth the wait. My only disappointment is I want more. I have always been accused of wanting to see round corners

5.0 out of 5 stars Great end to the trilogy, 22 April 2014
unputdownable, I raced through reading it, and cried, smiled, laughed in all the right places. last in the fantasy trilogy, and I can't believe I only came to these books a few weeks ago. I was definitely transported to a different land.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 11 Aug 2014
love the whole trilogy. and i don't understand other people struggling to get through this book. i got through in within a week with dyslexia but everyone has there own opinion. Every time i started one of laini taylors books i haven't been able to put it down. if you have dyslexia i would recommend her books the style of writing makes it possible to read and enjoy the story line whereas with other books i have tried in the past (even harry potter books despite loving the story) i have struggled and not enjoyed reading it and ended up not finishing the first chapter.

fantastic book, great read.