5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and beautiful
Published 1 day ago by Daphne (Winged Reviews)

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing finale
I had high hopes for this book, and the first two thirds of it were everything I'd been waiting for. However, I'm afraid to say that I'm not a fan of sappy twilight-esque teen romances, which is where the story nosedived after a gripping, action packed beginning.
First two thirds of the book: amazing adventure filled with battles, blood and drama.
Last third:...
Published 9 months ago by BakerLady

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing finale, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy 3): Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
Last third: another sappy teen love story in which Karou sounded a little too like Bella Swan for my tastes.
A slightly disappointing ending. I would rather have heard more about the Cataclysm than Karou's endless mooning over her feelings of teenage angst and love. She's meant to be a total badass, not some insipid wet blanket!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and beautiful, 27 Mar. 2015
It was always going to be hard to end a series like this, whose first two instalments Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight, were so incredible I struggled to find words to describe how much. Worry not, as Laini Taylor did an exceptional job with Dreams of Gods and Monsters with more incredibly written prose and a beautiful ending (although I’m still sad it had to end—I could read this series forever).

After the Jael and his ‘angels’ landed in St. Peter’s Square, the world is left wondering and in wonder. Karou is trying to broker peace between the Misbegotten and Chimaera, while Akiva and Liraz are still reeling from the bloody events in the throne room. As always, I don’t want to say much about the story, but you can look forward to stolen wishes, a devil on television, speaking in tongues, healing pools, and Zuze and Mik making the best entrance ever.

Reading it was bittersweet. I didn’t want this series to end, and each word just made me love all the characters and the divinely crafted worlds all the more. I loved how past intertwined with present, Taylor expertly weaving the story threads together to a very fitting end. I found all the beauty of the first two books here—the love and wonder of the first, mixed with the heartache and graft of the second.

While I enjoyed the new directions the story took, I almost resented parts of it because I wanted more precious page time with the original characters I’ve come to love. The introduction of a couple of new players, notably Eliza, distracted me, although I understand why the author did it. What I most liked though, was how the book presented the ambiguity of right or wrong. Revenge is a huge theme and I was nicely surprised by how it affected certain characters in the book.

I am being deliberately vague but I wholeheartedly don’t want to spoil anything. If you haven’t started or finished this series, then I assure you it’s definitely worth it. I will definitely be reading anything and everything Laini Taylor writes in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overblown and crowded conclusion to this fantasy trilogy, 23 Mar. 2015
It’s immediately after DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT. Jael has led his Dominion troops into the human world where he hopes to get hold of their weaponary to crush the chimaera once and for all and start a new war against the Stelians. The only hope is for Karou and Akiva to find a way for the remaining chimaera and Misbegotten to work together but given the millennia of enmity between the two that’s no easy task.

The conclusion to the SMOKE & BONE TRILOGY is an overblown, crowded affair left bloated by the romance elements. If you’re a fan of epic romances filled with a lot of blockages before an eventual happy resolution, then you’ll enjoy this as there are a lot of breathless descriptions of how Akiva and Karou feel about each other coupled with a whole lot of roadblocks to them being together, which really irritated me. Coupled with this is that there are so many strings to the overall story that at times the book felt overcrowded, especially when Taylor introduces a new plot around human scientist Eliza who has secrets that will impact on Karou and Arkiva’s struggle. For me Eliza’s introduction simply came too late in the trilogy for me to care about her situation. I was also disappointed with the resolution to the Jael plot line, which felt very anti-climatic, mainly because so little time was devoted to it, even though the whole book is structured around it. I did enjoy the scenes with Mik and Zuzana, which brought some much-needed levity and a less complicated love story and I admire the scope of Taylor’s imagination and the vividness of her descriptions. Ultimately, although this book wasn’t the conclusion I’d been hoping for, I would definitely check out Taylor’s other books.

I think that the main reason this book didn’t work for me is because the love story between Akiva and Karou is so samey – the whole will they/won’t they, misunderstandings and obstacles to true love become repetitive (especially given the events in the previous books) and the breathy descriptions of how they feel about each other really began to irritate me. I’m not a romance fan anyway, which is probably why I reacted so strongly to it, but when it came at the expense of the wider plot, it did annoy me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow for the trilogy as a whole.....it's like divergent trilogy all over again., 8 Sept. 2014
Let me start by saying I did enjoy the last book but it didn't have as much as a wow factor as the previous two. I devoured the first two books of this trilogy and finished them within a couple of days where as the last book has taken me a couple of weeks. Dreams of God's and monsters picks up pretty much where days of blood and starlight left us. Jeal has learned of earth and plans to gain weapons and pretty much conquer whatever worlds he can get his hands on. With the threat of jeal the chimera and sephrium join together and decide the only way to defeat him is initially to join together. With the chimera and sephrium working together akivia and karou also have to work together. The love story from this point on is pretty much about them being able to rebuild their personal relationship with each other and a couple of longing looks. It is difficult to comment on the rest of the story without giving away the ending and here lies my first issue with dreams of God's and monsters. Considering that the main villain has come to earth to conquer and two warring sides of angels and demons have come to fight together to defeat a common enemy after decades of war there wasn't a lot of action. When the battles did come they were short and few and far between and when it came to defeating jeal it was more so persuasion than action that made the big scary warlord give in. My other issue was the ending or should I say more so the build up to the end, rather than giving the reader bits of information to build up to the overall conclusion of the story we are told everything at the end and its pretty complex. This may be down to the imaginative way the author writes as she has such a amazing and unique way of writing however it's a lot to take in when the book is supposed to be winding down. That being said it is an amazing trilogy and laini Taylor has easily become one of my favourite authors, the last book isn't bad it is very very good I was just expecting a bit more and was happy to say the two main characters get a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable. Unmissable!, 22 Mar. 2015
What an unforgettable series - in SUCH a good way - and what a finale!

Beautifully written, this book reminded me why I love Laini's storytelling so much ... why her books are magical and lyrical and enjoyable in equal measure. Her worlds are vast, breathtaking; her characters and dialogue so very good. As this final book in the series unspooled, I was utterly captivated - to know that it was all coming to an end (sob) ... and yet, it's all coming to an end (YES!) Read slower ... no, read faster!

This final book is worth reading for the quality of the prose alone, but then we have: the ongoing love story of Karou and her Akiva; the oh-so-sweet-with-spikes-on Zuzana, and her violin boy; then the emotional story of Ziri and Thiago, the changes transforming Liraz, the Kirin caves, the mystery of the battle at the portal; and oh, who are these new characters - and what is the story behind *them*? Oh ... and OH!!

If you've already read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight, why on *earth* would you forgo this treat, the bringing together of all the threads and all the lives and all the worlds, into this magical, perfect ending? :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Last book in the trilogy., 24 May 2014
What can I say? This is the brilliant conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. What a roller coaster of a ride all three books turned out to be. Laini Taylor leaves me breathless with her imagination of a world at war. A war that has been fought for centuries between Gods and Monsters. Don't be fooled, the Gods aren't pure and without fault and the Monsters have to be pitied in many ways being forced to die many times only to be resurrected to fight another day and then to die again. Fantasy it may be but Ms Taylor breathes life into her characters making them so believable. A tentative meeting of a God (An Angel) and a Monster (A Chimera) on the battlefield leads to a love affair and a possibility to stop the centuries old battle between the two factions. With two such compelling and intriguing lead characters how could you not root for them to succeed. Alongside Karou and Akiva are a myriad of other fantastical characters that breathe life into this, the third and last of a magnificent trilogy. The problem now is...What can I read next that will come anywhere close to these amazing books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great End to a Fantastic Series, 14 Aug. 2014
I really enjoyed this book and it was a nice finish to the series. I am a bit sad that I won't hear more of Karou, Akiva, and Zuzana though as those were my favourite characters throughout the whole series.

I thought this book tied things up nicely and explained things in more detail so I understood the world more. There were a few bits towards the end which confused me a little or were a bit more far out but I went with it and I personally do not feel it detracted from the story.

The story starts up where the last one finishes in the dessert of Morocco. The Serpaphim have come to Earth and shown themselves to the humans in order to acquire arms to take back to Eretz to fight the Chimeara. This would be extremely disastrous and so the Chimeara team up with the the Misbegotton Seraphims to stop him.

There are a number of new characters who make an appearance in this book, some who only have a small part to play, while others like Eliza and Scarab, have bigger parts to play. I really liked Eliza and was so intrigued by her throughout the whole book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to a great series, 27 April 2014
I hugely enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy. If you're reading this review, I bet you did too, and I bet nothing I could say could put you off buying it. I absolutely couldn't wait to read it, and on the whole, this final book doesn't disappoint.

All the old characters make a return, along with some interesting new ones, and both the war-focussed and the romantic plotlines are satisfyingly resolved. This is an extremely long book (I read it on my kindle, but the hardcopy must be around 600 pages), but between the intriguing plot, engaging characters, and strong writing style, it never dragged - though I found it to be slightly less of a page-turner than the previous instalment.

This series has always trod a strange line between YA paranormal romance/urban fantasy, and the sort of full-blown high fantasy that George R Martin would be proud of.For me, the first book fell more into the former category, especially towards the end, while the second book prioritised war and history over forbidden love. This instalment falls somewhere in-between, combining scenes of relatively normal life on earth with full-scale battles in another world.

I enjoy both of those genres, but I prefer this series when it focusses on the latter, and gives the reader strange creatures and conspiracies in other worlds rather than concentrating on the romance between an angel and a (more or less) human girl. For some reason, the relationship between Karou and Akiva doesn't do much for me. He doesn't capture my imagination, and they never seem to have much chemistry. Things were better in Book Two, when there was real tension and distance between them and I started to warm to their story, but here, the author seemed to be manufacturing reasons to keep them apart, and it didn't really capture my imagination. It's odd, because the relationship between the two supporting characters, Mik and Zuzana, is always both touching and funny, and a new cross-species love affair that sprung up in this book really touched me too.

The more fantastical side of things continued to be very well done. We get more history, more folklore and more of the ongoing war between chimera and angels, along with lots of internal conflicts within the two sides. We finally get to see the Stelians, a different race of angels with a totally different culture and history and different powers. There are all sorts of revelations and drama. With the new ruler of the angels "off-screen" for 95% of the time and the White Wolf dead, it sometimes felt like we were lacking an immediately loathable villain. The latter really made the second book for me, so though I couldn't regret his well-deserved death, I did miss his effect on the plot. That said, Ziri's attempts to portray him to keep the army under control and the internal struggles it causes him were some of the highlights of the book. Generally, I really couldn't fault the fantasy side of things.

From reading some other reviews, I suspect I'm in a minority here, but one of my very favourite aspects was the completely new plot involving a genetics PHD student who has terrifying, literally heart-stopping dreams about the end of the world, in which the apocalypse is her fault, and who is hiding some initially undisclosed secret about herself and her family. The "what on earth is going on here" aspect of this reminded me of the sense of mystery I loved so much in the first book, when you didn't know why Karou was collecting teeth for monsters. And when the answers were finally revealed, the backstory and revelations it led to were amazing.

Overall, not quite a perfect book, due mainly to the sometimes lacklustre romance, but a really fantastic one all the same, and absolutely worth a read. A fitting end to a great series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Beautiful But A Disappointing Finale, 20 April 2014
** spoiler alert ** After years of waiting I have finally gotten my hands on and finished Dreams of Gods and Monsters, book three of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. I was really looking forward to finding out how the battle played out, if any of my theories came to fruition and also bracing myself for the end and letting go of some of my favourite characters and series to date. I have missed Laini's beautiful and captivating writing style and was getting very impatient after the finale didn't come out in the autumn, as we have been accustomed to with the previous books.

Sadly, Dreams of Gods and Monster's didn't fill me with the same excitement or enjoyment as Daughter of Smoke and Bone or Days of Blood and Starlight. With a heavy heart I give it a low 3 star rating compared to the other two's well deserved 4.5 star ratings. It just felt extremely vague, messy, half hearted and rushed for my liking. Too many twists going off in different directions without attention really being paid and spent well, it stretched and prolonged the story and unfortunately it suffered. Characters were picked and dropped without much consideration or explanation, the switching of view points from Eliza to Karou endlessly frustrated me. At one point early on I had to check the cover of the book to make sure I hadn't slipped into a different one entirely that's how confusing and off putting it was. I was invested in Karou and the Chimera I had no interest in being on Earth with Eliza, I was here for the alliance and the battle, I was here for closure and perhaps a happy ending. Towards the end I did grow slightly interested in Eliza but not as much as I should have, which bothered me. It seemed too far fetched for her to be a vegetable on Earth one minute and then an all knowing Sage in Eretz the next. I didn't buy it, I didn't like it. On reflection I would have appreciated Eliza's arc up until the point when she enters Eretz with Zuzanna and Mik being kept separate in her own novella between Days of Blood and Starlight and Dreams of Gods and Monsters (that could have been released in Nov 2013 to keep us going). I honestly believe that that small gesture would have lessened the profound blow of Dreams of Gods and Monsters and improved my enjoyment of it, this April. It could have gone into more detail about her past, especially her time between running away from home and ending up being a scientist, more into her dreams and revelations and about her angelic heritage.

I was really disappointed with the battle, when it finally happened, it took an age to get there and when it arrived I felt utterly robbed. It was glossed over so quickly compared to the drag of getting to that point and the endlessly long boring angst ridden scenes of Karou and Akiva wanting alone time, and in the end they didn't stand and fight they left on a different mission, it felt cowardly, I felt betrayed. This is also where I would have liked more depth into the Stelien's and how their magic works, the history of them, their lives, their work, going in depth about how they heal the sky and before the time when they refused to be Chosen… not just the condescension, Festival biography too please. I threw the book at the wall to slap Eidolon in face. It was just all to easy, to neatly tied up that they, or one, Stelien turned the tide for the battle. Not satisfactory at all. And getting back to Earth, after Jael leaves, we are left with no human reactions on Earth, why?
Thank goodness for Zuzanna and Mik's comedic relief. I especially liked the debate about how specific wishes were and would it really be a great skill to just kick butts? Unicorns as a food item and respecting dirt and that image of a violin in a giant bath tub, brilliant. I got a kick out of the fake good angels flocking to Rome and the Pope while the real goodun's were in the East, take that Western world view! I could see that happening with previous Popes but I quite like the current chap.
I still can't really put into words how I feel about Liraz and her change of heart. Yes it would have happened eventually but it all felt too false and rushed time wise, no comment about Liraz and Ziri except.. NO, just, no.
Chapters 21 and 22 are perhaps my favourite of the entire book, which really says something, to me at least.
There was so much more I wanted to read about, Razgut before and during his Chosen process, The worlds the Chosen flew through and discovered, what made the Magi decide that it might be a good idea in the first place. I wanted to hear more about fake grandmother's life adventures and what happened to her dogs?
I expected so little just a kick ass read and to be this disappointed just upsets me so much. Yes there is a happy ending, I suppose, but there is just a gap for me. A gap full of denied potential.
This trilogy will always have a place in my heart and on my favourites shelf and although I will continue to reread Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight I doubt I will read Dreams of Gods and Monsters again, in fact I feel a fanfic ending coming on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting conclusion, 25 April 2014
well worth the wait. My only disappointment is I want more. I have always been accused of wanting to see round corners