on 10 March 2014
This is a hugely enjoyable book that every school child and student should have to read before completing their education. Once I started it I couldn't put it down.
However, I would have liked more finished detail on the links between natural law and justice for all human beings
All humans are only 'passing through' so how can the Earth or bits of it be privatized by individuals or communities or nations ? The freehold estate in land was an English 17thC invention and has caused as much harm to humans as the benefits declared of it by its beneficiaries. And all prevailing ideology can be demolished properly following this line of thinking.
But the book's demolition job on the inadequacies and incompetences and corruptions of the state as we are forced to pay for it that this book outlines so well almost makes up for that omission. A great big thought provoking read ! Thank you Mr Frisby.
on 7 April 2014
A really interesting, easy to read and understand, book on the subjects that will be dear to the heart of every free-thinking individual. Dominic writes well, uses plenty of well-researched anecdotes, and delivers to every reader a much better understanding of our history and gives a valuable insight into the near future. The greatest tribute that I can give to Dominic and his book is that my darling wife, who usually falls asleep as soon as the subject of economics comes up, read his book from cover to cover in a single sitting and was most impressed by it. Thank you Dominic and I look forward to reading your next book.
on 27 November 2013
Dominic Frisby is a comedian turned economist and in the best traditions of literature it takes a clown to tell some home truths. Life After the State sets out to offer an alternative view of economics in which individuals, families and communities look less to the state, take more responsibility for themselves and act more responsibly.

Well researched, the arguments are grounded in the empiricism of natural human behaviour and often counter intuitive data on how things worked before the state became so large. Frisby reminds us of some of the common sense of the prevailing worldview in Victorian times and of the need to trust the state less and ourselves more.

LATS is written with a light touch, good humour and generosity of spirit. It is easy to despair at greedy vested interests, suffocating indebtedness and crippling inefficiencies and yet as I read I was left feeling more optimistic... We can use our ingenuity and desire to live in a decent society, to do something positive and cheer each other up along the way.
on 27 November 2013
I've just finished this book. I am so tired with the way we do things in Politics and Finance these days and expect many others feel the same way - This book charts the way out of the mess we are in and I for one am raring to go
As well as that its a good read which is unusual for such heavy subjects - read it now and then, if you know, point me in the direction of the political party who can and will get on with the job
on 6 March 2014
So many things that are wrong with our country are highlighted here by the state's intervention. Political parties beware - those comments you make about decentralisation might well be coming to haunt you! People take back control.
on 19 November 2013
Life in the 'Austrian' economics world can get somewhat lonely, so it is to Dominic Frisby's great credit that he has written an accessible and enjoyable summary of quite how the West abandoned its senses, socially, economically and politically, and how it might get them back. Some reviewers I see above have harumphed that these aims are perhaps worthy but impossible to effect in practice. I would cite the internet commentator that Dominic himself quotes early on:

"Find the right answer, realise you'll never see it in your lifetime, and then advocate it anyway, because it's the right answer."

Something has gone badly wrong with our economy and our banking and monetary system. 'Life After The State' offers some intriguing ways out of the woods and back to reality. Happily, Dominic Frisby is no voice in the wilderness - these nagging doubts, and possible solutions, are slowly joining the mainstream. More power to his elbow.
on 22 December 2013
The author has a lot of bees in his bonnet (home birth, home education, legalised drugs etc) but his opening chapters which focus on our political and economic crisis form an accessible and hard-hitting analysis. Rent seeking, fiscal excess, crony capitalism are all nailed, though what he doesn't do is show how the elite that benefits from all these cunning wheezes is held together by social networks that increasingly exclude the vast majority of the population.
Grotesque and unsustainable as our current system is, the solution offered in this book rests on a hopelessly idealistic reading of human nature. The free market, I believe, would create even worse ills than we currently face. The likes of Milton Friedman are quoted all too often and we know where his ideas led. At least we have freedom of expression, the rule of law, accountability, the minimum wage etc. Strip away the state as far as the author would like and the way would be clear for the Big Beasts to dominate even more than they currently do - and heaven knows that's bad enough.
on 17 February 2014
This is an important topic but Frisby is trite and simplistic in his arguments. If I were inclined to the view that the state is too large and needs to withdraw from many areas of shared service provision I would be angry that his book would undermine the cause. Whether it is about our system of money, tax, health care or education his assertions are not well supported by evidence and he takes an optimistic view that people can and should provide for themselves. There are some useful truths buried in the text but he has over stated the case from the examples used and failed to recognise where evidence is used selectively. This book was a significant disappointment on an important topic and I would not recommend it.
on 4 December 2014
I bought the kindle version of this book as soon as I had finished Frisby's other title 'Bitcoin: The future of money', a thoroughly interesting and well researched appraisal of the emerging cryptocurrency.

Frisby's comfort with economics and money were evident in the Life After State. The book started strongly with convincing arguments about how the State's misuse of its monopoly over money supply has lead to catastrophe. Unfortunately, it was downhill thereafter.

His argument for diminished state involvement in health focused solely on ramping up home births, which is hardly a game-changer when the real issue is dealing with an ageing population time bomb. The same was true of his ideas on education, which seemed to suggest home education is the solution. His rationale was that home educated children perform better, which should be no surprise given that they all come from the high end of the socio-economic spectrum - a key factor he omitted from his observations. This was just one example of his very poor use of supporting evidence, selectively choosing spurious data to support his claims.

Even more annoying was his constant use of quotes from famous people, which were so frequent as to suggest that he was desperate to fulfil a word count.

Frisby's conclusion was that we should reduce government, and have faith in the market and people, which I think is naive and overlooks humans' basic irrationality. I recently read a Jarryd Diamond book on the disappearance of ancient civilisations, none of which had bloated government, but all of which disappeared through their own poor decision-making. Leaving things to the market or freewill is a simplistic and unrealistic.

Frisby doesn't suggest whether the UK should make a unilateral decision, and if so how that would work. It frankly reads like a sixth form essay, lacking any connection to reality. Such a shame given the good job he did on Bitcoin.
on 22 January 2014
I was looking for an analysis of what would happen in the small state economy that is promoted by the political right. What I got was an idealist philosophy based on why a big state is bad. Any social and political problems of a switch seemed to be dismissed on the basis that the new non-state would sweep them away.