5.0 out of 5 stars A stand up sits down and delivers a grown up punch
If Dominic Frisby was as good a comedian as he is a writer and thinker, then he would filling arenas but I worry that a proportion of his audience will not like what he has to say. By his own admission, the author is no financial 'expert' - but let us not forget how many of the 'experts' foresaw the financial meltdown of 2007? Gordon Brown anyone, lionising the City of...
Published 13 months ago by d holland

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better
Published 10 months ago by john rom

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE AFTER THE STATE - This is a MUST READ, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
I've just finished this book. I am so tired with the way we do things in Politics and Finance these days and expect many others feel the same way - This book charts the way out of the mess we are in and I for one am raring to go
As well as that its a good read which is unusual for such heavy subjects - read it now and then, if you know, point me in the direction of the political party who can and will get on with the job

5.0 out of 5 stars What a FANTASTIC Book!!!!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
I've known the author, Dominic, from the Comedy Circuit for many years. When he originally said he was writing this book and was asking for contributions to Unbound to do this I though "why not".
Having now read the book my respect for him, which was always high, has gone up through the roof and beyond. I can't really begin to describe what a revelation this book was to me. We're all stressed out and fed up with what governments and banks are doing to us all. In this book Dominic goes into the historical facts of how we got here, where it's all going, and why.
Read this book and you'll want to shout about it and what it contains from the roof tops.
Quite simply it's one of the best, informative, intelligent reads I've ever had.
Don't hesitate, just buy it, read it, and see how our modern world works, or rather doesn't work, with clearer eyes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
This is an important topic but Frisby is trite and simplistic in his arguments. If I were inclined to the view that the state is too large and needs to withdraw from many areas of shared service provision I would be angry that his book would undermine the cause. Whether it is about our system of money, tax, health care or education his assertions are not well supported by evidence and he takes an optimistic view that people can and should provide for themselves. There are some useful truths buried in the text but he has over stated the case from the examples used and failed to recognise where evidence is used selectively. This book was a significant disappointment on an important topic and I would not recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Of The Year?, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
Until I read this book I thought I was alone in thinking that the state has simply become too big and too powerful.
The only other voice I've heard on a similar theme has been Ron Paul in America.

The idea that the state should take ownership of every aspect of our lives is creeping its way into our culture as we sit back like frogs in a pan of warm water. Why should the state know best? Why should we abdicate responsibility for our health, our wealth and our education to a bunch of self serving politicians and bureaucrats? The fact that the book is controversial shows how far down the slippery slope we have already rolled.

Not only does he make his points clearly, he balances every criticism of the state with a practical alternative and through detailed historical research he reminds us that there was once life before the state. It's not only well argued, it's beautifully written. It's as entertaining to read as it is challenging. I dare you to buy it. I dare you to read it. I dare you to share it with your friends.

Wouldn't it be amazing if this book, in November 2013, marked the turning point where the people rose up against state control and demanded a return to free market economics?

The way we live now has more in common with the Soviet Union or Communist China. Let's return the state to being the servant of the people rather than their master. Let's have laws that expire after 5 years rather than clogging up our statute book for decades. OK, I'll put down the wacky baccy for a moment. Let's at least have the discussion.

Thank you, Dominic, for giving us such a cogent, well argued starting point for that critical debate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some shortcomings, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Life After the State: Why we don't need government (Kindle Edition)
Before you read any further, I ought to declare that my politics are to the left and so this may colour my review. All I can ask is that you keep an open mind, as I did, when I read the book.

This book is a fascinating read and, no doubt, there are compelling arguments put forward the argument that the current status quo is not sustainable and he sets out alternatives with fit the Libertarian way of thinking. Written in a clear, engaging style, Frisby explains the problems with and the limitations of the kind of crony capitalism that we are currently enduring where the few benefit at the expense of the many. Frisby has a gift for explaining complex ideas in a way that is absolutely compelling and fascinating. His explanation of currency systems - in particular the difference between the old 'gold standard' and the 'fiat' currencies - is crystal-clear and concise.

The main beliefs shared between Dominic Frisby and myself is the end goal of fairness, justice and equality of opportunity such that everyone benefits. However, where we differ is the route and the means to get there and my main criticism of the book is that he fails to take into account of the various types of human behaviour and how these are harnessed in a civilised society. He makes some big assumptions, like when he advocates the removal of the state from healthcare (bye bye NHS) and let people form mutualities in place of state-sponsored health care systems. He seems to think that this will happen almost by itself and that is one heck of an assumption to make - that people who have become so atomised over the last few decades will have the natural inclination to form bonds of mutual benefit, which I doubt. And in this new libertarian paradise, who will actually protect society from the formation of vested interests and predatory behaviour? He doesn't seem to have answers for these important questions and that is, ultimately, a disappointment.

A valuable book which I recommend and I hope that, one day, the author will perhaps address these important issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not serious or funny enough, 8 Dec 2013
J. P. Maciag (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
It is difficult to review a book when you agree with almost all it says but where, sadly, it didn't engage on an intellectual or a `reader' level. Remarkably I ended up speed-reading much of the second half. So what went wrong?

Given the author, I did think that it would be written with humour - preferably the kind of cartoon-like, dark humour that illustrates the absurdity of our situation - perhaps the funny side was edited out - but why? If it wasn't going to be funny, maybe Frisby should have concentrated more seriously on two key questions - how, given the manifest failings of the over-large State, did we end up with one? Frisby grumbles but does not ask any big existential questions and prefers to concentrate on gold. Is it possible that universal suffrage leads to the welfare state - which inexorably leads to the overlarge state? Perhaps the abandonment of gold is just a tool in the process? And, secondly, what about that "Life AFTER the State? Well, not much on that either except to say how well we will organize ourselves. I agree with that (to a large extent) but how we will transition from where we are now (treated as farmed animals) to that life in the wild agrarian after is a key undelivered promise of the book. It will be a horrible shock, no doubt, but some wider speculation (taken from history) on population levels, freedom and social structure might be both amusing and informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot on diagnosis, unrealistic solution, 22 Dec 2013
Norman Housley (Leicester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
The author has a lot of bees in his bonnet (home birth, home education, legalised drugs etc) but his opening chapters which focus on our political and economic crisis form an accessible and hard-hitting analysis. Rent seeking, fiscal excess, crony capitalism are all nailed, though what he doesn't do is show how the elite that benefits from all these cunning wheezes is held together by social networks that increasingly exclude the vast majority of the population.
Grotesque and unsustainable as our current system is, the solution offered in this book rests on a hopelessly idealistic reading of human nature. The free market, I believe, would create even worse ills than we currently face. The likes of Milton Friedman are quoted all too often and we know where his ideas led. At least we have freedom of expression, the rule of law, accountability, the minimum wage etc. Strip away the state as far as the author would like and the way would be clear for the Big Beasts to dominate even more than they currently do - and heaven knows that's bad enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
Life After the State is an extraordinary book. A real eye opener - what you secretly thought but with evidence! Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedian economist, 27 Nov 2013
Dominic Frisby is a comedian turned economist and in the best traditions of literature it takes a clown to tell some home truths. Life After the State sets out to offer an alternative view of economics in which individuals, families and communities look less to the state, take more responsibility for themselves and act more responsibly.

Well researched, the arguments are grounded in the empiricism of natural human behaviour and often counter intuitive data on how things worked before the state became so large. Frisby reminds us of some of the common sense of the prevailing worldview in Victorian times and of the need to trust the state less and ourselves more.

LATS is written with a light touch, good humour and generosity of spirit. It is easy to despair at greedy vested interests, suffocating indebtedness and crippling inefficiencies and yet as I read I was left feeling more optimistic... We can use our ingenuity and desire to live in a decent society, to do something positive and cheer each other up along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Life After the State (Paperback)
`Life after the State' seeks to remind us that the state breathes at our expense in a controversial, yet sober account of contemporary Britain. Unperturbed to explore discursive taboos, Dominic Frisby dares to unapologetically stray from conventional economic wisdom. He conveys the endemic nature of rent seeking, and the misperceptions that surround the responsibilities of government. `Life after the State' succeeds at making contemporary Libertarianism accessible in a thoroughly refreshing contribution to the field.