Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.52

on 28 August 2012
Having eagerly awaited this new title for some time now I managed to secure a copy albeit not from this website and I must say by far it is Rob's best work to date. I have a copy of each of his earlier books which come highly recommended by the way but I feel that the way this book is written not only allows the reader to envisage each situation but also enjoy the personality that so easily comes through as you read. Ghosts of York is a mixture of great writing and truly interesting tales and a must buy for anyone who has even the slightest interest in ghost hunting. Thank you very much for the great read Mr Kirkup keep up the good work.
on 13 April 2015
I bought this book expecting it to be a rundown of the top ten historical sites in York along with their associated ghosts and a collection of anecdotal evidence from a variety of sources besides Rob Kirkup himself, but was sorely disappointed. In fact, the book simply follows a group of lads around select areas of York whilst they practise their ghost hunting skills. Ten locations in York are covered within self-contained chapters, with sizeable chunks of each chapter taken up by details of the weather conditions, accommodation arrangements and what each ghost hunter had for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner that day. In the most part the ghostly encounters of the team boil down to a few bumps in the night, with the exception perhaps of the very last chapter. Only a few ghostly encounters by people outside of this particular team are mentioned. The photos are mainly of scared looking blokes wearing head torches in the foreground against a darkened background in which you can distinguish very little. The writing style is very informal and chatty. I haven’t read any other volumes by Rob Kirkup, but I think the same applies to ‘Ghosts of York’ as to ‘Ghostly Northumberland’, as I wholeheartedly agree with Brian X’s review that content is thin, writing style poor and more effort should have been made with the proofreading. If you’re interested in paranormal ‘research techniques’ as applied by a group of inexperienced lads in one English city, then by all means buy this book. If, however, you’re simply curious about ghost sightings in York and some of its history, there are better books out there, for example ‘Haunted York’ by Rupert Matthews.
on 14 September 2015
The experiences of a group of Geordie Ghost Hunters and their adventures in the ancient city of York. Rob tells of his trips with a group of mates and their sometimes worrying adventures in York - Part of me wishes I'd read this book before my visit to York and part of me is glad I didn't.

Good book recommended for anyone with an interest in York or the Ghosts that lie within - also an handy guide on knowing which hotel rooms to avoid...
on 30 November 2013
I love anything relevant to York and its history This book does not disappoint and I found it very interesting.