Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£5.99

on 1 August 2013
This is not like other self help books i have seen, although I am not an aficionado as I tend to be snotty about fast fixes for the psyche. However, it is based on reliable research and the techniques in it do genuinely work. It's not a book to read through, though - it is a workbook where you pause and try to practise ways of stopping tormenting yourself and getting on with life, an outcome which many people would like.The basic premise is that into each life some rain must fall and attempting Positive Thinking is only going to make things worse. Paradoxically, accepting this is the start of learning to live comfortably with rainfall.
on 21 August 2013
This pictorial summary of the original book guides the reader, even young readers, through six dimensions of our daily living. Russ Harris' compassionate understanding and therapeutic expertise comes to life through the images that go beyond our usual thoughts about problems and solutions. Language can often betray us and not many people understand that thinking is not necessarily our friend. We need more than thinking. The author and the artist guide us through evidence based 'acceptance and commitment therapy' and 'relational frame theory' in simple ways to help us to develop psychological flexibility. Psychological flexibility is probably the most useful quality in developing a life worth living and helps us to remove the 'happiness trap' that seems to afflict us all. The book takes us through the steps of awareness, acceptance, creating distinctions, seeing our 'self' differently, and taking values based action (my summary) that constitute psychological flexibility. Recommended especially as a download to access easily during the day.
on 19 January 2014
I already own Russ' other books as I find his style very easy going. This small pictorial edition of The Happiness Trap is a handy little refresher when needed, and can easily be read in one longish sitting if needed, which makes it perfect for those times when life starts beating you down again.
on 9 December 2013
This book is simple and easy to understand.
I was looking for a book to help with anxiety and this has certainly helped. I highly recommend it to anyone caught in the trap that toy must be happy all the time or wanting to be more self aware.
on 21 August 2013
I think this pocket sized book with clever illustrations is a wonderful reminder of the topics dealt with in " The Happiness Trap ". Thank you very much Mr Russ Harris.
on 26 April 2014
Forget being for adolescents - best for all ages.
Pictures and diagrams, and no wordy jargon and prose - perfect!
on 29 August 2014
just what the doctor ordered....recommended by a psychologist, only had one session with her and this book was enough. it needs to be followed through, do the exercises and it will work.
on 10 May 2015
very good book., the pictures are great , when books contain writing we learn from them by certain parts of the brain and other parts of the brain are triggered by pictures , its great having both as you learn in a different way , very helpful and great., this book is bigger than a pocket and my pockets are big but didnt manage to get it in me pocket haaa but who walks around with a book in there pocket anyway :/ , its the same size as a normal book. it shud be called " you need a massive pocket happyiness trap " ... very good boook .:)
on 6 March 2015
I used this book to consolidate all the new and interesting info from the Happiness Trap. As a teacher myself I think it's an exceptionally good teach yourself tool simplifying a lot of quite complex or detailed info and making it easier to remember and apply. The mix of cartoon strip and short summarising bullet point text have really helped me thoroughly understand and remember the key principals of this practice. Wish I could have had this method of summary/teaching info for my finals! :)
on 18 August 2013
An instant reminder of main points & exercises of ACT. Never used an illustrated book before & found it a relaxing way of using the book effectively. For me ACT fills in the gaps my self help books didn't. As I've the kindle version I'll buy the paperback when it's out to carry in my bag 😊