4.0 out of 5 stars Mixing in the dark?
I do think the different colours are a slight gimmick but the mixer itself is robust enough, a nice weight and packs away well.

P.S. I've yet to kill this mixer with butter cream, so far so good!
Published 2 months ago by Tarkytarks

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
I use a mixer on a really regular basis so was pleased that I had the chance to try this new mixer by Russell Hobbs. I have had numerous hand mixers varying in price and features. To date I have found that the middle of the road mixers that are priced in the medium range tend to be better (go figure). This mixer looks like a pimped up version of a standard mixer and even...
Published 4 months ago by Best Crime Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixing in the dark?, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Russell Hobbs Illumina Hand Mixer, 500 Watt - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

P.S. I've yet to kill this mixer with butter cream, so far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good powerful tool., 16 Mar 2014
Mrs. R. Breslin "r.breslin" (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great looking hand mixer. It comes with whisk beaters and dough hooks. It makes very light work when making cake batters, really creamy potatoes, cream, heavy fruit cake mixture and blending bread ingredients before kneading.The motor runs very smoothly even on the the heavy mixes. I love the way it lights up at different speeds, it stores nicely with cord wrapped round and stands up on its back taking up very little room on the worktop, I keep it out and on hand all the time.The way way it stands means that if you get called away you can leave it up with the beaters over the bowl so no drips everywhere, a little detail I know but a good one.I have been using it a few times per week and have no problems at all, love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red being the fastest., 27 Feb 2014
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Its a whisk its very functional so what makes this different, well turn it on you get a the light ring flashes Blue to show its good to go press the up arrow the beaters move slowly and the light is a solid colour, with four settings each one with a different colour
Solid blue is slow
Solid Purple a bit faster
Solid Green faster still
with Red being the fastest.

The beater itself does not seem to strain at all even with the thickest of mixtures we have tried so far.
Its not a bad weight and feels well built.
My only issue so far is with the beaters out if you stand it flat it rolls as its very round. It does however stand well on its end, so only a minor quibble and probably a good idea with the beaters in.

Good value product would recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Baking meets disco., 22 Feb 2014
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Easy to use and well made hand mixer with click in beaters. You press the central button to switch it on, then the 'up' arrow on the right to get it going. Pressing the 'up' arrow again makes it go faster, pressing the 'down' arrow on the left reduces the speed. Simples. There is a nice design feature in that the illuminated coloured ring round the mixer changes colour as you change speed settings. The four settings include a pleasingly slow one - not all mixers have this, but it's very useful when mixing things like icing sugar which tend to go everywhere on high speed. Plenty of juice at the other end of the spectrum in terms of high power for beating batters or whipping cream. The motor does not sound strained at high speed and there is no oily smell (which you sometimes get with cheaper mixers on high). Nicely made beaters, not bendy or flimsy, and dough hooks supplied as well.

Ergonomically it's the perfect weight, not too heavy, very comfortable to hold and stands stabily on end when not in use. I used it to make a lemon drizzle cake this afternoon and it made very light work of my not room temperature butter (slapped wrists), coarse brown sugar, flour, eggs and milk all naughtily bunged in at the same time instead of being added one at a time in a more restrained fashion. It's hard to think of downsides - if I was being nit-picky I might draw attention to the fact it's not fully metal, unlike some of the Kenwood and Dualit models with similar designs - however it is both cheaper and lighter than those so not a big disadvantage. Even the packaging is great - minimal and easy to get into but still protective. Fab.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 30 Mar 2014
D. P. Mankin (Ceredigion, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this rather heavy for a hand-held device - so if you also have just mild arthritis (or worse) in your fingers watch out. However, the colour-coded speed control is very useful and a definite asset. It's straightforward o use. The whisks are easy to eject from the drive heads (unlike some other models by different manufacturers). A very useful addition to the modern kitchen. I would have liked to have given it 4.5 stars but this isn't possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Really Solid Mixer, 23 Feb 2014
Jack Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This black and silver beauty of the mixing world while it may appear to be clutching at straws with the addition of a colour coded light system but it needn't be - it's an all round really solid mixer with just a small extra feature that doesn't really add much.

Once you pick it up for that first time you know this is going to be a really solid and well built experience - it's a good weight and the handle is well placed relative to the mixing or elements to move it around the bowl. Once you've turned it on using the thumb button there are a couple of others to turn the speed up and down with a light that varies - it would be good to have seen some kind of pattern to this though, rather than 4 random colours. There's a good range of speeds here and the whisk and kneading ends are both small which is helpful and also detach for easy washing, with the rest of the unit being wipe clean. The cable is also a reasonable length which is a problem I've had with previous mixers.

Overall this is a really decent mixer experience - the unit is well built and has a good range of settings that can be done without issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hand mixer, 28 Mar 2014
Shaya (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thought I would give this little mixer a test drive and to check how good it was so I put it up against the granddaddy of the kitchen...my Kenwood Chef!!
With me manning the mixer and my daughter on the Kenwood off we went..Yes hmm, we thought it a bit unfair too so dug out the other Kenwood mixer, the chefs little cousin a hand mixer like the illumina.
Both sponge cakes went in the oven the same time, both plain sponges with exactly the same ingredients.
The light feature was cool if not a bit gimmicky but it certainly made me remember what speed I was on. It performed as well as the little Kenwood hand mixer and once out of the oven the sponge cakes bore that out by being the same.. we tried meringue and double cream and it breezed through both.
Really there was no difference between the mixers both performed as well as the other, the illumina was slightly heavier and after a sponge and meringue my arms were aching but for that matter so we're my daughter's. I liked the little mixer thought the black colour was slick and the light show cool, but give me my Kenwood Chef any day
I think really most hand mixers are as good as all other hand mixers and it is all down to preference and budget in the end but why don't you give it a try, I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colour coded mixing, 7 Mar 2014
Perfectbub "Fiona" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It may sound odd to say that a hand mixer is stylish but this definitely is stylish. No more annoying buttons instead you use the colours. A handy sticker which you attach to the mixer is there for a handy reference.

The mixer also comes with two different attachments, a new concept for me. One set is for lighter mixing...egg whites, cream etc. The stronger set is used for heavier mixer jobs, fruit cakes etc.

The only downside is that the mixer can feel heavy after using it for a while. I needed to switch off and lay the mixer down for a while. A small niggle.

For once the cord is long enough ( a rare circumstance in consumer electronics ) and the manufacturers have created a clever system to wind the cord around the mixer to add easy storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit!, 24 Feb 2014
A. Horner "Andrew Horner" (Erskine, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Probably the best hand-held food mixer we’ve ever used (and we’ve been through a few!). It’s robust, ergonomically comfortable to use and does the job. Russell Hobbs, as a brand name, is synonymous with quality and this food mixer is right up there in that category. It’s easy to clean and store, which is always a bonus, and we’re very pleased we chose that model. We recommend this mixer to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs Illumia hand mixer 500 Watts = Black, 31 Mar 2014
romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow a modern easy to hold mixer , the Illumina lights up on different speeds with a illuminated ring and digitally controlled. Blue for cakes, purple for cream, green for eggs and turbo is a red colour for higher volumes of food to be whisked. The hand mixer is easy to clean as the two whisk attatchments the beater and dough hook. I whisked up some egg whites with no problem it was quick and they peaked in no time for my Pavlova. With an impressive 3 year guarantee the 500 w power really makes a difference compared with other hand whisks I have used.

Russell Hobbs Illumina Hand Mixer, 500 Watt - Black