5.0 out of 5 stars MMLP2 Review from long time Eminem Fan
Published 13 months ago by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars The Marshall mathers LP 2!!
Awesome album really glad I have added it to the rest of my eminens albums, looking forward to his next album if there is one. :-)
Published 7 months ago by Roger Mckendry

5.0 out of 5 stars MMLP2 Review from long time Eminem Fan, 9 Nov 2013
Firstly, ignore the one star reviews; they're more than likely written by people who became Eminem 'fans' after hearing his 'Recovery'. I personally hated 'Recovery', what good is a recovery if he fumbles it? (Eminem's words, not mine!)Kids these days don't know what rap is. They think because they grew up listen to pop 'rap' that that's what it is. Eminem unfortunately made Recovery very pop like and so that just cemented their opinion on it. I feel like I can give a fair review from the point of view of someone whose been an Eminem fan for many years, heard all his albums and prefer his older ones. (In order I would say: Eminem Show, MMLP1, SSLP, Relapse, Encore, Recovery.) I haven't included Infinite as it wasn't officially released on CD and isn't part of my collection, although I have heard and do listen to it at times).

Onto this album... It's definitely a relief after what was a horrible album in 'Recovery'. It's also his best album since Eminem Show. I actually find it hard to criticize this album as even the 'worst' songs on the album in my opinion are still good and fun to listen to. It's certainly a more mature Eminem who wrote this album as you will hear from some of his songs and lyrics. Also in answer to the dumb people saying 'this isn't a sequel to MMLP2', Eminem emphasized in interviews how it wasn't a 'sequel' as such, more of a revisit and you can definitely hear it. There's nostalgia everywhere. (SPOILER ALERT****) For one, the opening song is sequel to 'Stan'. One of the tracks on this album uses a modified version of Criminal from MMLP1. Also There's almost a second song of 'Kim', but written from Kim's perspective. Finally, there are a few references through his lyrics that take you back to the old days. It is very much a revisit and I think it does a successful job.

After my first few listens of this album I rated it up there as one of his very best, having let the hype wear off I'm going to say it's his fourth best album. The Eminem Show, MMLP1 and Slim Shady LP all rank higher in my opinion, but this is a fantastic album and effort from Eminem. He doesn't get nearly as much credit for it as he deserves. He's not in his prime anymore, he's 41 years old, and people still expect him to reel off albums as good as his first 3? It's a completely unrealistic thing to expect and ask for. The fact that he made this album so good is amazing as I didn't expect him to!

My personal favorite songs are Bad Guy, Legacy, Stronger than I was and Headlights (the latter being a very emotional song where Eminem forgives his mom!! One of the many things that suggest he's matured significantly over the years). Also Brainless, The Monster and Survival are all very strong songs.

Of the bonus tracks, they just get better and better every time you listen to them and the only thing I can criticize is that 'Beautiful Pain' isn't on the full album. It's such a great track and would have been up there with the best on the album if it were on there. Eminem often seems to have an amazing track or two on the bonus tracks which leaves you wondering how it didn't make the full album!!! (Love you More and We as Americans on Encore/ Careful what you wish for and My Darling on Relapse). The final song on the bonus tracks Wicked Ways is very good too, along with the opening one 'Baby'. They're all good and on my Windows Media Player I didn't rate a single song under 3 stars over the 21 song album, including the 5 bonus songs!

Also to those who have listened through it just once and written a review on it... Listen to it more times as it's definitely the kind of album where it gets better every time. Also I hate it when people review an album after one listen, especially an Eminem one as they completely miss the meaning of some songs. A lot of people might not even have noticed first time round what Bad Guy was about.

4.5/5 from me and his 3rd or 4th best album! A relief to see Eminem back to what will probably be the best he gets to from now on!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Albumn by Eminem, 9 Dec 2013
I don't usually leave reviews for products, but this album is so good that I felt obligated to promote it. Definitely a must buy if you like high production values, fast beats and Eminem's insane lyrical skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to Form, 9 Nov 2013
As a long term fan of Eminem, I was excited to see what direction his latest album would take. The title and the cover artwork set up listeners for a reminiscence back to his best days. The opener Baby sees him back in his classic style of delivery, while Bad Guy has excellent production and is sprinkled with references to favourite lyrics.

Other tracks feature well-arranged collaborations with female vocalists such as on Beautiful Pain (Sia), Survival and The Monster (Rihanna) and would appeal to a more mainstream audience. There are comic touches in Rhyme or Reason and he is masterful in Rap God. Berzerk is also a stand out single.

The quality of the tracks is really high, his lyrics are inventive and the delivery is clear and powerful. Only occasionally did I feel a track failed to reach the heights promised - Stronger than I Was perhaps lost a bit of momentum. The themes are reflective and mature while he still impresses by injecting realistic bile and anger into his lyrics.

Fans of Eminem who enjoyed the Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers will be pleased with the familiar themes and style, while newer fans can enjoy perhaps one of the greatest rappers demonstrating what he does best. This is a record tied together with great production values and memorable beats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the original? No. This one's better., 5 Nov 2013
I've listened through this album once only so I'll admit it's quite early to make a final judgement. But my first impression is that not only is this a hip hop masterpiece - musically, lyrically, conceptually - but it is the strongest contender, in my opinion, for Em's best album to date. So let's break it down a little.

For one, this is a love letter to fans of the original Marshall Mathers LP. The opener Bad Guy makes plenty of references to classic lines from the MMLP, the song "So Far" actually uses small samples from the songs "I'm Back" and "The Real Slim Shady" - to name but two - and the skit "Parking Lot" (one of only two skits on the entire album) is a fun sequel to the song "Criminal" on the original LP. So the name of the new album is not just some cheap marketing ploy; there's substance to it, not least in the sense that volume 2 reaches and even outdoes volume 1, which many regard as his best, most influential album.

Musically, the production here reaches heights never heard before be it in terms of the pop-savvy beats, the rock-fueled guitar and the dead-on piano riffs (capturing the best of the MMLP), not to mention the voice work. The album sounds expensive and is a cross between Em's early work and the underrated Encore and Relapse; Recovery sounds flat compared to what we have here but nothing Eminem has put out to date quite equals the production values on here. In addition, there is the right balance between loud tracks like Bezerk and softer tracks like Legacy - that helps give the album a harmonious feel.

Lyrically, Em is as over the top as ever and at the top of his game, breaking standards he himself has set for hip hop artists. I obviously didn't catch all the subtleties, self-references and jokes on my first listen through but it's clear that MMLP2 will repay multiple listens - plenty of stuff to dig into, if one isn't too distracted by the excellent musical production, that is. I'm also glad to note that Eminem hasn't given up on his skilled use of "accents" and nasal delivery, which makes this album closer in feel to Encore and Relapse than his last, Recovery, which for me is a good thing. However, as on Recovery, there are plenty of artists who sing the chorus on this album and Em continues his singing career which is now stronger than ever as shown, ironically, on a song called "Stronger than Before" where he sings more than he raps.

Highlights. So many to choose from. Because I'm a nerd I give stars to tracks I listen to on Media Player. No less than ten of the tracks got five stars from me and none less than four stars. I will no doubt upgrade some of my ratings in due course since I know from experience that Eminem's albums tend to be growers. The absolute highlights for me though are the awesome songs Rhyme or Reason and Legacy - the latter is a slow, soft, song which I personally think better than Stan and Rhyme or Reason needs to be listened to to be believed. There are of course the singles Bezerk, Rap God, Survival and Monster, which are excellent. Also noteworthy is that, to my knowledge, this is Em's first album to contain two songs, namely the excellent "Bad Guy" and the closer "Evil Twin", which break the seven minute barrier; and contrary to expectation they never let up.

So to round up Eminem is back for good this time and has done the best fan service possible by releasing what is arguably his best album to date and one of the best Hip Hop albums of all time, no less (and I say this owning a huge hip hop collection). This is a five star album which will have a long shelf life and confirm Eminem's superstar status. Well done Slim!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this just be better than the first Marshall Mathers LP ?, 23 Dec 2013
Varian Beauregard (Le Jardin d'Angleterre) - See all my reviews
Yes personally, I would rather listen to this than to the old Marshall Mathers LP. Let me explain...

I've been an Eminem fan from about 6 months before he hit world fame with the "My Name Is.." single. (I.e. from the Slim Shady EP). At the time I thought that the Marshall Mathers LP was his best work to date with lots of absolute stand out gems that I hardly need to list. However, I also thought it was inconsistent and I tended to skip quite a few of the later tracks. I also thought that "The Eminem Show" was a better album.

Fast forward and we've had the enjoyable but lyrically weaker "Encore". The delightfully deranged but not quite return-to-form that was "Relapse", and the overly "pop" and unsatisfying "Recovery".

Now Eminem is truly back with an album that is consistently excellent. I have listened to this over and over and I still can't get enough. Lyrically this could just be his strongest work ever. Just listen to "Rap God". It still has some pop choruses but the rapping is more old school and yet modern at the same time. The returning motifs from the first MMLP are fun to spot. This has an added maturity and the song "Headlights" gives me shivers every time I hear it. It is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars EMINEM IS THE RAP GOD, 10 Dec 2013
I gave it a 5 star album because is such a great album all the way through. I like the 5 other extra songs you get which is on the Deluxe edition of The Marshall Mathers LP 2 This is Eminem at his best again and it is much better than his last album Recovery. If your are a big Eminem fan in my eyes I recommend you get the Deluxe edition it's so worth getting trust me

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marshall Mathers LP 2, 23 July 2014
This is Eminem's most complete album since The Eminem Show newer fans who haven't heard the original may not understand this album fully as he revists a lot of the topics from the orignal MMLP in more grown up and matured way Eminem did not set out for this to be a sequel but a revisit to the first MMLP and he did it superbly this one of Em's best albums and a must for all fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Its Eminem you either love him or not and I think he good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Great cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Eminem!!! Still tearing the world a new a**hole., 13 July 2014
Awesome album and even better with the bonus disc to enjoy more from the talented MC.