Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 9 December 2013
A very good record, lots of prog rock references, but that's a good thing. I am pleasantly surprised that they have managed to produce a great record with out Tim Smith. Well done guys!
on 4 May 2015
It is a bit disappointing. It seems they are trying to follow the pattern that has been successful for them but is missing the key ingredient - creativity. If you are a Midlake fan I would suggest you give this one a miss.
on 30 March 2015
Great album but quality of the vinyl was dreadful. Very warped. Returned it for a replacement but it was just as bad.
Not good enough.
But Amazon dealt with the matter very well. As ever.
on 4 November 2013
I became despondent when I heard that Tim Smith (principal songwriter and lead singer) had left Midlake. I'd hadn't cared for "The Courage of Others" to the degree that I'd loved "Van Occupanther" but had written this off as a hiccup. "Courage of Others", despite having one or two excellent tracks, seemed like a pale repeat - like they didn't know whether to stay where they were or move on musically.
"Antiphon" features a new leading voice - nothing like Tim Smith's - and this is a jolt for the first two or three songs, but by song five or six I was loving it. Some plays later and I'm still loving it - I miss the wispy harmonies but they have been replaced by something stronger, still multiple harmonies, but they've moved on. The musicianship is as wonderful as ever and given greater space, being more prominent in the mix (how many times on "Van Occupanther" did I have to boost the volume to hear some lovely bit of flute or oboe wallowing down in the mix?)
I've given "Antiphon" five stars after due consideration, as I would have given "The Trials of Van Occupanther" (if I'd bought it via Amazon); by comparison "The Courage of Others" would have been 3 or 4. Hope that helps anyone thinking about buying this recording.
Some groups survive the departure of a founding songwriter/singer/player: Pink Floyd after Syd Barrett's exit, Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green's . . hmm. maybe not such a good example. On the evidence here, Midlake will survive and probably thrive. That's an exciting prospect!
I also really look forward to Tim Smith's re-emergence. These are all 'good guys' musically.
on 4 August 2015
not the best Midlake album, but without the singer they are trying a quite different direction. It's an interesting album, maybe with too many keyboards and not many strings.
on 16 December 2013
This album confirms that they are just a great bunch of musicians , brimful of ideas....and are able to articulate those ideas with great sounds ! I love it !!
on 15 May 2014
this is a must for any music lover,great feel good music, just flows from start to finish..looking forward to seeing them live in july
on 8 March 2014
If you've never heard of Midlake - try it! Beautiful melodic folky proggy chillout music. Love their previous albums too.
on 29 January 2015
By far not as good as previous records from them.

See their best album : The Trials of Van Occupanther
on 16 October 2014
We simply dont get enough from this brilliant prog folk Americana group from the Pacific NW.