5.0 out of 5 stars Satechi 7 Port USB 3.0 Premium Aluminum Hub for Mac
Published 6 months ago by Si "Freddie" H...

I like the look of this 7-port hub, which in my opinion compliments the iMac very well. I have some issues however:

1. it fails to power correctly my iPad mini 2nd generation - I have to plug this direct in the iMac for it to charge - when I plug it into the powered hub, I get a message informing me it is not charging.
2. it would have been much tidier to...
Published 6 months ago by M. D. Palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking 7-port USB hub - issue with powering all devices, 17 Jan 2014

2. it would have been much tidier to have the power and main USB cables connecting at the back. Imagine when this is plugged in, it does not look as cool as in their photos, instead it has a power cable and USB cable sticking out each end of the device, taking up valuable desktop space and making it look untidy
3. it lights up everything - not an issue to use this during the day, my home office is on the same open-plan floor as my main bedroom - this means at night I can see a blue glow through the star is coming from around the corner in my home office - originating from this USB HUB. A way to turn off the light would be great. I don't want to have to cover this over or switch off my mac each time I go to bed.
4. Price - it is vastly more expensive in the UK than it is in the US. No idea how they justify the difference. I think I would not have complained about price if they had designed the power and main USB cables interface a bit better, i.e. have them sticking out the back instead of the sides plus had a way to disable the blue lights (no idea why I need these to be part of this gadget)

So, given the above issues, I would give 2.5 out of 5 starts, but as this is not possible with Amazon, I will go with 3, as i do still like it, even if I will replace it given the chance and a better designed USB 3.0 HUB.

A quick note about the failure to power the iPad mini - I have no issues with any other devices like external USB HDDs.

Update: 22 Jan 14: I have had to unplug this, as when it is plugged in my Keyboard drops connection - I believe this is a general USB 3.0 issue with HUBS, though not sure why this cannot be shielded so it does not interfere. If I cannot find a solution (I will check to see if I can buy shielding) I will have to ask Amazon to take it back as no use if it blocks my keyboard and I don't have room for a wide, wired keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satechi 7 Port USB 3.0 Premium Aluminum Hub for Mac, 17 Jan 2014
a perfect addition to your Mac product, I got this for my brother to go on his iMac and he was thrilled with it. A great combination of ergonomic design and function. It is USB3 supported so has an iimpressive bandwidth throughput and because it has its own power supply it doesn't overtax the USB port to draw power and maintains power integrity (fluctuations) when in use

I would recommend it for it's function as well it's ergonomic design

4.0 out of 5 stars Satechi 7 Port USB does the job, 21 Feb 2014
Plugged it into my iMac and connected some peripherals to test it and they worked without a hitch. It is annoying that there is no on/off switch which means you have to disconnect the hub at the point where it is plugged into the mains (this means crouching under a desk in my case). The blue indicator light remains on all the time unless it is switched off. I have attached the hub to the base of the stand supplied for for the iMac by using valcro and therefore it is not cluttering up the desk surface.

Considering the price, I am surprised that the hub cannot be used to charge gadgets such as phones, satnavs, etc. since it uses a mains supply. For this reason and because there is no on/off switch on the unit I give it four stars rather than five. It is a good looking piece of equipment which complements the iMac perfectly. Recommended.

Quick and efficient delivery from the supplier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition, 29 Jan 2014
This is a great addition to my iMac, looks stylish blends in well with iMac. Agree power could come from back to make it even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hub you can use all 7 ports, 18 Jan 2014
No problems at all with ordering or delivery to Belgium, great piece of kit! love that you can plug in 7 usb keys side by side no matter what their shape. As has been stated in other remarks having the power and control USB at either side makes it a bit space consuming, would like to see the option to plug them in the back or side. Am using it on a windows machine with out problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, 17 Jan 2014
Bought this as a gift for xmas but had no complaints, item arrived quickly and works great with imac pc making it easy to attach extra drives, cameras etc tansfers data ultra quick

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, if..., 7 Mar 2014
This would get 5 stars from me, if it wasn't for the designer who for some unknown reason made the USB input and the power input on either side of this beautiful piece of hardware. It's exactly the same colour as my Mac Mini and Air SuperDrive and would blend in oh so nice. If it wasn't for those cables.

The cables are white and included. I don't remember reading that anywhere.
The blue LED doesn't bother me at all and this thing is FAST!
What took an hour on USB 2.0 now takes 6 minutes on a Corsair GT Flash Drive.

It will eventually replace my Belkin 7-port USB 2.0 powered hub. Which has the cables on one side so I could stick it to the side of my desk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setachi 7 Port USB 3 hub, 19 Jan 2014
Really pleased with this so far, gives me 7 fast USB 3 ports making life a lot easier to use external devices. Saves fiddling about round the back of my iMac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satechi 7 Port USB 3.0, 18 Jan 2014
Great tool works fantastic. with my Imac 27 inch screen. I must say that another one I bought always gave conflicts with the screen. This one just is perfect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but ODD design (form over function), 6 Feb 2014
Mr. M. A. Nelson (UK, Brighton) - See all my reviews
it looks good on paper but the design is odd starting with a non-standard A-A cable instead of the the A-B normally used on hubs (if you damage the enclosed cable best of luck finding a replacement as A-A is non-standard). then the input and power input are on opposite sides rather than the back.

Also the angle of the sockets is such that it won't fit under a monitor (as cables loop to high) so has to go behind it (defeats the object of going for a designer hub).

Does work as a hub tho