5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent compact introduction to the EU, 30 Sept. 2013
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The European Union: A Very Short Introduction

I like this series of books. For me it keeps me doing something between Cornwall and Paddington on frequent journeys to the City.

This book is a gem and taught me more about the EU than all the newspaper and internet searching I have done on it. I feel with the European elections coming up and all the debate on whether we should be in or out I need to get the big picture rather than the political peddling we get from the political parties.

This book, although short, goes into a lot of detail about how the EU has evolved and works. It is written by a political expert and I did not find it biased at all. I feel I now have the intellectual tools to make informed decisions on the EU and how the UK integrates into it along with its future role.

The writing style is text book like but very informative and useful. You need to know a little background to get the best from it but most people would find this a useful read. Students of politics will find this a very useful starting place on how EU policies are made and enforced.

Overall a great little book from a very good series on lots of topics. These books are also inexpensive and compact and in the series there is something for everyone.
I like this book very much as it has armed me with the facts so that I can make informed decisions when discussing our EU position.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and Informative. Factual but Interesting., 27 Oct. 2013
Ghostgrey51 (Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The previous reviewers have done an excellent job in supplying `A Very Short Introduction's of their own to this important little book. It remains for me just to add my own humble approval.
As we will be expecting to vote on the conditions of British association with the rest of Europe in the near future the responsible approach is to gain information that is clear, concise and correct. In the succinct chapters which cover the origins of the EU, how it literally works, its relationships with the other states of Europe and the also the rest of the world and of course those dread items The Common Agricultural Policy, The Budget, Single Currency and Single Market these criteria are met.
True, the EU is portrayed in a positive light, but there are enough abbreviations, boxes displaying organisation and facts you did not know to also put you off by revealing the very size of the EU. You have the information. How you view it is your choice.
If you do have definite opinions or concerns about The EU then this book is recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise but meticulous, comprehensive, and scholarly, 12 April 2015
Serghiou Const (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
The book by aim and definition is concise but meticulously written, comprehensive in its treatment, and scholarly. It is written with rigor and density and after you read it you will obtain a serious insight into the aims, structure and evolution of the EU, its institutions and functions as well as its relation with the rest of the world. This third Edition published in 2013 has undergone a radical revision brought by changes since the second Edition in 2007 such as the Lisbon Treaty and the EU fiscal crisis.

The scope of the book is encapsulated in the following excerpt from the preface: 'The concern of both of us (its two authors) has been to present the ideas in a way that will help to provide a context for reasonable people, whether they lean towards a federal or intergovernmental approach to evaluate the performance of the Union and judge in which direction it should go. And we have endeavored to be scrupulous.'

Take the preceding at their face value. The book is a product of labor and the product of that labor is worthy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Resource For The European Union, 24 Nov. 2013
Mr. C. Bleakney "Colin Bleakney" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this particular series of booklets are referred to a "A Very Short Introduction," the content nonetheless is detailed and expansive in terms of both accurate information and useful facts.

The fundamentals of European integration are set out as well as the argument for the need of integration.
The writer, John Pinder,follows a federalist system for both integration as a guiding principle and as he say's "were states are likely to remain as central actors for the foreseeable future."

The reader will be challenged throughout this book to look at the development of the EU to date and then to decide whether they lean toward a federalist or intergovernmental approach in judging the way the EU should go.

4.0 out of 5 stars European Union: Institutional View, 4 Oct. 2013
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
European Union is one of the most ambitious and expansive political projects in history. Its ultimate goal, it is now quite clear, is the unification of almost all of Europe into a single political entity. The project has grown from its rather modest origins from a purely economic organization into what is now one of the most important political and economic unions in the World. However, both the path to this point and the future ahead are beset by numerous challenges.

I've been eying this short introduction for a long time. As someone who is originally from Europe and who still has the majority of the family members living there, I cannot really afford to be ignorant of the events on that continent and its political structure. However, I am now glad that I've waited to purchase this book in its third edition, since it now includes mentioning of Croatia. Since I am now officially an EU citizen, I have even more reasons to try to understand it the best I can. After reading this book I certainly have much more appreciation for all the intricacies of the EU's political mechanisms.

This is a very detailed book with a lot of information and facts strewn throughout its slim 150 pages. It takes a largely chronological approach to the Europe's integration, and goes into some detail in explaining various policy decisions. The book assumes a fairly neutral point of view, aiming to inform the reader rather than to shape his or her opinions. The third edition is thoroughly updated and includes all the major developments up to 2013. However, as witnessed by the tumultuousness of the ongoing economic crisis, all of the European institutions are still in the state of flux, and it is very likely that the fourth edition of this book will be in order before too long.

Even though the book is well written and extremely informative, it is still a pretty dry read. Various policies, political and economic maneuvers can feel rather esoteric, technical and opaque. The book's view of EU is highly institutional, without much scope for deeper ideas or relevance to the daily lives of most Europeans. This is probably the reflection of how most Eurocrats view their project: as an ongoing bureaucratic venture that is almost an end in itself. There might be many virtues to this attitude, but it sure doesn't manage to inspire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Succint and Informative, 1 Feb. 2015
This ia the first very short introduction book I have purchased, but I feel it will be the first of many.

All of the negative news regarding the EU in Britain currently prompted me to do a bit of research to truly understand what I was hearing, and this book has provided me with that. Although some parts can be difficult to understand, I feel this book as a whole explains the EU in as simple terms as possible. I would particularly recommend the chapter on the EU budget and how it is spent, explained brilliantly and dispels some of the myths surrounding this sensitive topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely new edition, 28 Nov. 2013
I. N. Terry (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very timely fully updated 2013 edition of this well-established volume and series - if we want to dig a little deeper than a TV programme or a newspaper article allows then this compact volume fits the bill. The language and tone are authoritative, informative and to my mind objective on this very emotive subject. The glossary needs continual reference to keep on top of things and the chronology is a very handy summary of key events. If we are going to consider whether UKIP deserves our vote, then we should read this little book first!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four star book, 6 Nov. 2013
Ms. C. R. Stillman-lowe "Cathy SL" (Reading Berks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 3rd edition is fully updated and superceeds the earlier ones in this handy series which has reached 350 titles. There is an annotated bibliography, a chronology, a glossary,and at the front a 3 page list of acronyms (this latter is indipensable since any discussion of the EU is full of them including this one and they are difficult to memorise).

The EU is not an easy subject but this book provides a good entry to it,and an understanding of it is essential to all European citizens.

Four out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to love the EU, 7 Nov. 2013
C. J. Tyler "cjtbrocco" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is so much unbalanced journalism about the EU and its institutions that I felt duty bound to read this. The authors' enthusiasm for the "European project" is clear but they don't ram their feelings down your throat. This is very important reading for all who want to feel informed on advance of the possible referendum on EU membership. Highly recommended for its clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of EU history and institutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY USEFUL FOR GAINING BASIC EU KNOWLEDGE!, 7 Oct. 2013
I am a University student and I am studying the European Union and my lecturer recommended this book for basic knowledge. It is extremely useful and it is well detailed on 'Europe in the World'.

Highly recommended!!!