5.0 out of 5 stars I have used a previous Philips model for years…
I have used a previous model, also a Philips, for years so I can talk from experience. The fact that I bought that previous model in about 2004 and it is still going strong says a lot for its longevity – I hope that I will get similar longevity out of this new model (I exclude the battery from that – my old one was mains only. I do not see a battery lasting...
Published 1 month ago by Mister G

1.0 out of 5 stars Looking in the mirror after using this was a traumatic experience
This is the third electric clipper I've owned, and I have encountered major problems trying to achieve a decent, even cut with it.

The unit itself is very lightweight, much lighter than either of my previous ones, which certainly makes holding it up more comfortable - although it feels like it isn't too sturdy so it's something of a trade-off. There is only one...
Published 2 months ago by M.D. Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and worth the money, 2 July 2015
Mr. Di Zendle "Piping hot potato!" (Potato, Potato) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5440/83 with DualCut Technology Cordless Use and Beard Comb Attachments (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed when I received this shaver was that it comes handily packaged in its own hard case. Now, I'm not saying that this case is anything special - it's just a hard shell of black plastic, large enough to fit the razor and its accessories, with a carrying handle - but it *was* there.

This was quite a surprise, as even more expensive razors usually come nestled in entirely cardboard packaging, and it can be a bit of a bother finding where to store them. That was instantly a plus point in the HC5440's favour, even before it was out of the aforementioned box.

Starting to use the razor was similarly filled with nice surprises. Lengths of cut are selected by clicking a dial on the front of the shaver. This dial has a nice, 'well-built' feel to it (not flimsy or cheap-seeming), and a catch on the reverse for releasing the blades for cleaning was similarly well-designed and easy to use: No jamming or sticking, just a quick tap on the release switch and the front popped off to be washed.

So, everything surrounding shaving is well-designed: How about the shave itself? No complaints there - the razor glided effortlessly across my face without stopping or causing me any sort of pain at all. All in all, I've got no complaints whatsoever: There might be cheaper razors out there on Amazon, but for the price it's listed at this clipper is well worth your money.

Tl;DR?:
+ The HC5440 is a smooth shave
+ It comes with a free hard case
+ It's easy to wash the blades
+ It's simple to select different lengths of cut.
+ The whole thing feels very well-made

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Clippers, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I previously had another Philips trimmer/clipper, it was the blue & silver 'Wet&Dry' ES' model. It was about twice the price of this version, and was very good. That version was 'lost' during a holiday, so this comes as a welcome replacement.

As with almost all Philips products, the build quality is above average. Good quality plastics are used throughout, with the exception of the carrycase which won't offer much protect at all. This is not a waterproof product, which is the main reason it is half the price of my other model (although you can rinse the head under a tap to clean it). It has a variable cut length, so you don't need to carry different guards around. Although this has a long battery life it still feels a little underpowered performance-wise. With a wired trimmer (like the barbers) you can basically move it as fast as you like and it will keep up. With this (and all cordless ones I've tried) you have to take it slowly or it will skip, pinch, or clog up. Overall performance is slightly less than the ES model, and the guard seems slightly narrower so it takes a bit longer. The ergonomics are a little unusual and I've dropped it in the sink a
couple of times because of this, but it's survived the fall perfectly fine - I don't know about dropping it 5 ft onto tiling though, that may not go so good!

Overall I have found this useful for both my beard and the odd hair trim, and as with my previous trimmer no doubt you can stretch the time between barbers by quite a while - eventually I give up and get them to tidy up the mess I've made by my non-professional use of a clipper.

This is a reasonably priced bit of kit, and well made. I expect it to keep going for a few years at least. You could end up saving a lot on narber bills, especially when you take a whole family into consideration.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent... but the down sides might outweight the good..., 27 Jun. 2015
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The body of the shaver seems big at first, but actually feels lighter and more comfortable to hold and control than other, smaller ones Ive had.
Its simple in design, and function: you just pop the one razor guard into the shaver, then use a manual dial to ratchet up or down to the length you want.
If you have a beard, there are beard attachments too but I cant comment on the performance of that as I dont have one!
I can comment on head hair shaving though, as being... good... but not better than I was expecting from the "2x fast" claim. Its just a good performance (there are better ones at a similar price point, and if youre ok to spend a bit more - much better).

The best thing for me about this is, with the dial adjuster its easier than any Ive used yet to get a clean, non-stepped graduated look between using e.g. a 1 on back and sides, and 3 on top.

Other highs:
- Its fairly reasonable charge time (8hrs), holds a full charge for what probably equates to three shaved heads (just under an hour and a half).
- The case for it is a hard plastic clamshell-style carry-case, so keeps everything neat and tidy
- It can be rinsed under a tap to clean out all the bits of hair - which means cleaning is obviously a lot faster and simpler than a fiddly brush

Downsides
- I found even on light hair that the blades needed clearing after two sweeps! After a good investigate, it seems the design does not channel hair clippings away from the blade or guard slats - so instead it collects at the business end and means your shaving is less effective. And more annoying.
- The On/Off switch is, like so many of these devices, in the worst place they could put it and has a sliding switch "capture" thats too soft - meaning youre highly likely to accidentally turn it off while using it: More annoyance.
- The dial display is on the front. The clearest way to decide which gradient you want is to look at the distance between the blade plate and the guard edge. Because this is visible only clearly on the back, you have to flip back and forth. Its not the end of the world, but it is irritating that such a simple point is overlooked. Again - annoying.

So the shaver itself is a good one (in my opinion) - but no better than any other Ive used, and silly design flaws make using it an annoyance - and ultimately less effective.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gives a nice even short cut., 2 Jun. 2015
rossyb (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the shape of this hair cutter, it is very comfortable to hold. Its fairly lightweight, no heavier than previously owned clippers.The motor is quite,it comes with a lead to charge the in cell battery, I charged it for two hours prior to first use and it was fine.
My husband always has a short cut , there is a dial incorporated on the clipper from 1 to 12, I used number 2 with the hair cutter blade cover. It gave a nice even cut with no missed bits, and I didn't have to keep on going over the hair to cut the stragglers.As I haven't used this for a longer cut I cannot comment on how it performs on longer hair, but its really good on short hair.
The only thing I found is that the hair does tend to collect between the cutting blades and blade-shield so you have to keep stopping to remove it which is a bit of a pain,and very annoying a design fault maybe?but as it gives a nice cut.

When cutting the hair it didn't nick the skin as some clippers do.
Judging by the short hair cut I would say that it will give a nice even beard trim as well.
It is a good price and will have paid for itself after about 3 cuts saving a trip to the barbers.
You turn it on and off using a sliding on/off button on the front and the blades are removed for cleaning easily by the push of a button and are just clipped back on afterwards.
The blades are self sharpening so no need for oiling,and you get a little brush to remove hairs from between the blades.
The whole set comes in a plastic carry-case .

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hair clipper but no revolution here, 31 May 2015
kingg (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I shave my own hair and have done so for many years using various Philips products, starting with a battery-powered beard trimmer some fifteen years ago, followed by various iterations of Philips hair-shaving tools. Generally, I have found them to be good and have not felt the need to explore alternative brands to any great extent. Recently I have tried two new Philips products, the HC5440 under review and the 'DIY' QC5570. The main impression I have been left with having tested both these products is that things haven't moved on a great deal in the past fifteen years - the designs have changed and the packaging boasts many new features but the actual hair-cutting performance has not changed to any noticeable extent (I can compare as I have a few older models still going strong - credit to Philips here). That being said, the performance is generally good but single hairs are still missed and a second pair of eyes is still needed to hunt out and snip with good old-fashioned scissors. What has got worse through, I think, is that these new shavers feel significantly less comfortable moving over the scalp - perhaps the focus on other 'features' (such as cordless) has made Philips lose sight of the basics.

I can recommend the HC5440 - it shaves well and gives an even finish on a 7mm (grade 2/3) cut. Other reviewers have noted inconsistent cutting lengths - from experience I expect this is probably when shaving at longer lengths than 7mm, when uneven cutting becomes more likely - I assume due to more flex in the plastic head. It has cordless functionality but I would never recommend using cordless - plugged in always works better and ensures the hair clipper is operating at maximum/optimum power output. You also have to charge for an unreasonable 8 hours to get just over an hour of clipping time. Three additional beard heads are included but it is not clear what purpose they serve when the main head is adjustable to any length and can be used for beards also.

The case is quite handy to the shaver and accessories together - it looks cheap but serves a useful purpose and is better than the supermarket plastic bags I keep my old clippers in. For the price, it is a great clipper and will pay for itself within just a few uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, but not the best on the market, 29 May 2015
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a decent plastic case to keep everything together. You need to charge this for 8 hours to get a reported 75 mins use, plenty enough for a few cuts and beard trims before it needs charging again. The blades are self sharpening, which is too soon to tell for me, but I don't anticipate them going blunt before the trimmers need to be retired.

You get 3 plastic beard combs that give a fixed height cut and then 1 hair comb that is height adjustable via the turning wheel on the body. There is a slight design improvement over the last model in that the comb used to flex if pressed firmly against the skin which meant the height altered and gave an uneven cut. The new style is far more rigid and doesn't flex. To be honest, I don't see the need for the other beard combs, the adjustable one is pretty good at doing the job. The adjustable comb will go from 1 mm to 23 mm in 1mm increments. You simply turn the centre thumb wheel to the desired number on the wheel and it is then set solid at that height. It is firmly in place and so there is little danger of you knocking it and adjusting it mid cut.

The motor is moderately quiet - I have heard quieter and louder ones. It is fast and moderately powerful, but as I have thicker hair it has dragged a few times. If you have fair hair or take your time on thicker hair you will be OK. You don't need oil on the blades and they can be cleaned under a tap. There is a red button to push that will release the blades for cleaning and they simply snap back into place when done.

Another hiccup is the 8 hour charge. If you only use these to cut your hair once every 6 to 8 weeks you could find that the battery may not last as it does run down so you would have to remember to charge them the night before. If you are like me, they will always be flat when you want to use them. It doesn't say in the instructions that they can be used corded, but they seem to work like this - but that defeats the object of having cordless clippers!

At the time of writing these clippers are £28, but the next model up is the [[ASIN:210073975 Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5450/83]] and costs £5 more. For the extra £5 you get titanium blades and a 1 hour charge to give you 90 mins of cordless use. I think the extra is worth it for the improved charge and run time, but I am not sure if the motor is a bit more powerful.

In all these are an OK set of clippers for the price, but nothing to make them stand out from the crowd. The motor could be a bit more powerful to make the full use of the sharpness of the blades (you really need both to have a good set of clippers. That being said, these are still OK clippers and will do the job, but may take a bit longer to do your hair than the competitors.

2.0 out of 5 stars clippers... ish, 27 May 2015
Disappointing product. I am using hair clippers for diy hair and beard styling between 15 and 20 years already. In mean while I've gone through few different clippers. My last ones were Philips QC5055/80. Sadly my missus knock over and broke comb which I am using for my hair cutting hence I've look everywhere for replacement but without luck as that model of hair clippers (due to be 5+ years old) are discontinued. Searching for replacement I've came across this model as a new version. Let me tell you...sometimes newer doesn't mean better. Packaging poor, you get plastic case with moulded cardboard inside. Clippers feel cheap made of plastic with no weight on them. After full charge clippers still struggle to cut hair, multiple passes on same area to achieve so-so even cut. Comb needs to be emptied often as its collecting hair rather then getting rid off. On smallest setting somehow I still got lines/bald patches all over the hair hence I was forced to shave it all off. Even then it was absolute challenge to achieve even cut. This explains why it says inside clippers head (once you remove cutting blade) in small print "for domestic use only"... Well you will be probably appearing in court if you use these to cut anyone's hair except yours...unless that other person is big fan of hair fashion from 90's...lines, arrows...etc. Anyway these clippers will not clipp my hair anymore as they will be in possession of Royal Mail ASAP on their way back. Two stars just for brand and possibility that somewhere out there, there is someone with worst clippers then these on his desk while writing review...

3.0 out of 5 stars Its all a bit..............meh!!, 30 Jun. 2015
Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this item looks the part it is let down by some design flaws. In performance the blade plate is too narrow for my liking and doesn't compare well to other hair trimmers I have used in the past from Wahl, Braun or Remmington. The power side of things which initially was a concern as this is a cordless/rechargeable trimmer was surprising and power wise seems to pack a decent wallop. The on off switch seems to be situated in a strange place and more than once in use I accidentally turned the unit off. I have quite thick hair and it did snag a couple of times in use with no guard on the blade resulting in quite a painful surprise. The rotating selector to lower and raise the guard for different lengths of hair seems a bit gimmicky to me and personally I would have preferred separate "traditional" guards for different lengths. Annoyingly I would have liked this option on the beard trimmer but alas this was not the case the beard trimmer comes with 2 attachments for different lengths. Moaning aside this isn't a bad set of clippers and the cordless operation really does hold a nice charge and deliver what it says on the tin. Comes complete with a carry case but again don't look too much into this it would probably crack with a stern telling too as its about as robust as a hens egg.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 12 Jun. 2015
Hamstead (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh dear. We had a disaster with this. We have a fantastic set of Wahl clippers that we usually use and that are set to a number 2. Tried the Philips on a 1.5 and the victim was just about scalped! The cutters don't seem to equate to what they're supposed to cut on. The motor slows down when going through thicker hair - struggles to cope. The container is cheap plastic and the instructions inadequate. Perhaps we've just been spoiled by our Walh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my favorite clippers ever, 20 Jun. 2015
ABShaef "ashaef" (Durham) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These just might be the best hair clippers I've ever owned. I've owned at least 5 different sets over the past 20 years and I buzz my hair once a month or so, which means I get a lot of use out of my clippers and these are impressive. They're lighter than the ones I'm used to, which is surprising since these are the first cordless clippers I've owned. They have plenty of power to move easily through my hair and plenty of battery life to do a thorough job of it. The ergonomic shape makes them easy and comfortable to hold and the adjustable guard length eliminates the need for a box full of different length clippers while providing a greater range of lengths (it's not just 1/8's of an inch with these, it's measured in mm so I can get that sweet spot just between a #4 and #5). The only reason I gave these a 4 and not a 5 is that the placement of the adjustment for the guard length is right in the most comfortable gripping location, which caused me to adjust the length mid-clip a few times. Thankfully it hasn't yet amounted to a short patch, but it could. A lock while the clippers are in use would solve the problem and make these an easy 5 star product in my book.