on 8 July 2014
A brilliant essay from virgina Woolf.
The title sums up the core of the essay - the necessity for women writers of the early 20th century to have a fixed independent income [£500 a year] and a room of her own, essential requirements for free expression where the writer can give her work full attention without other demands upon her time. Such privileges the author had due to a legacy from her aunt; but in my opinion one which she fully appreciated and thus uses to ignite the theme of this essay.
Woolf takes us through the centuries of the dearth of women writers due to their lack of education - from a hypothetical sister of Shakespeare, who in a patriarchal society would be forbidden to give full rein to creative work even if her talent was obvious. She also examines notable writers such as Jane Austen, the Brontes, George Eliot, leading onto milestones in female emancipation such as Florence Nightingale, women's suffrage and the aftermath of the era of the first world war.
I particularly liked the way she queried obvious patriarchal privileges as a guest speaker at Oxbridge. Why a choice of wine with a gourmet meal for the male students/residents and only a bland meal with a water jug passed round for the women's college where she dined? In the year of 1928 she was well aware that there were discriminations and hurdles yet to be overcome, all of which she examines in her stream of consciousness fashion.
A must for all lovers of good literature, feminism and those with an interest in early 20th century society and culture.
on 19 February 2013
excellent edition of a thought provoking book, virginia woolf has a lively and unusual way of dealing with ideas and issues that are still relevant today.
on 9 June 2014
I re reread this for a book club and got a great deal from it both as an insight into Virginia Woolf as a person and the period in which she was writing.
on 5 June 2015
Of course, this was going to be a literary piece, and I was not disappointed. Virginia's turn of phrase is both classic of the era she harks from, and as current about the affairs in today's predominant patriarchal society she forward thinks to. Particularly keen, genuinely portrayed. Pity she is not around to read this, because I feel sure she would have a scathing word or two about my having to fund my own education through one hand, whilst also paying my exorbitant taxes with the other. And those three guineas, no doubt purloined from out of the pocket of an unsuspecting Lord of Chamber in Commerce, and who would decry poverty and education is now equally distributed in gender, would little compensate me for the books it took to educate myself, so enable me to understand her essays therein! Virginia, in other words, gives you a good college rant about how ladies fund men in business! Even today!
on 21 February 2014
have yet to read but it's been on the reading list for a long time after reading excerpts at uni and having strong interest in feminism. downloaded quickly and for a great price
on 18 February 2013
I read this book in Paris when I was living as a journalist and this book had a big impact on me. It set out how someone could become a writer, though I have yet to be published is besides the point as I have not given up hope! As always, great to see Woolf's oeuvre popping up on Kindle- I can own a room of one's own in my own room!
on 14 September 2014
After a slow start A Room of One's Own became an engrossing read with some unexpected and intelligent arguments and viewpoints and without misplaced sentiment that could be off putting. Eloquent, witty in places, and well constructed.
on 15 September 2015
Excellent book. Empowering women everywhere.
on 21 March 2016
Love love love! Short and punchy
on 19 April 2015
I agree with the author's sentiment but she took an eternity to make a point.