5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Christmas album
Published 8 months ago by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Xmas CD
This is just what I expected
Xmas CD with Lovely Carols
As this is only really played at Xmas it was ok
Published 5 months ago by maggie0

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Christmas album, 25 Nov 2013
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
This is Susan's second Christmas album and maintains the standard of the first. It contains mostly songs that her fans will be familiar with, and which are always popular at Christmas time. I love those songs, but because I listen to a lot of Christmas music, I like to see at least something different. The last three tracks cater for that desire, being The Christmas waltz (an old song from the thirties or forties that is rarely recorded these days, although it's not that difficult to find on collections of Christmas oldies), In the bleak midwinter (also not that difficult to find, but not among the most-recorded Christmas songs either) and for the climax, Miracle hymn, which I've never heard before and might be an original song, though I'm not sure if it is.

Another feature of the album is Susan's duets with Elvis Presley (on O come all ye faithful) and Johnny Mathis (on When a child is born). Personally, I think they would have sounded better as solo tracks, though they work quite well as they are. The original recordings by the two men are fantastic. There is at least one comparable precedent for Elvis's voice being posthumously overdubbed, in the album Christmas Duets. As I said in my review of that album, I enjoyed it but still preferred the original Elvis recordings, even though I'm a fan of some of the singers who contributed their voices. So it is here - the duets sound great, but duets work better if the two singers are in the studio singing together. Johnny Mathis recorded his parts for "When a child is born" in America, while Susan recorded her parts in Scotland.

Despite my minor quibble over the duets, this is a fine album that should please Susan's fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Christmas Abum, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
I received Susan's new album Home for Christmas today and just had to tell everybody how much I enjoyed it. It is the best Christmas album I have heard in quite some time. Susan just gets better and better, she sounds so polished and the tone in her voice gets richer with each new album. Not sure yet which is my favourite track, there are a couple that I have not heard before. The track with Elvis is so good and you forget what a wonderful rich voice he had. The one that sent a shiver down my spine was Little Drummer Boy. Well done Susan and thanks again for another great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a great CD!, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
I enjoyed her last CD, Standing Ovation, so much that I decided to pick this one up too and I'm so glad that I did, it's really a terrific album. Her voice is so clear & beautiful, the arrangements are great and I like all of the songs chosen. I really enjoy the fact that there are several songs that aren't familiar to me. There isn't a single track that I don't like but it'll take a while to decide which are my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars good old subo, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
youve done it again a great christmas cd easy listening well done go and get christmas magic with this one

5.0 out of 5 stars A christmas delight!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
A lovely CD from Susan Boyle - perhaps her best yet. I have had this CD less than a week and have already listened to it twice.
It will be listened to many many more times before Christmas.
Susan Boyle sings with a beautiful voice bringing up to date in her own way many Christmas classics. An excellent CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Home For Christmas, 4 Dec 2013
M. A. Wilkinson (Leicestershire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
I love Susan Boyles voice she is a magnificent singer. I love this cd and i play it all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Beautiful!, 25 Nov 2013
B. Russell - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
Ever since she was on BGT, I have found Susan Boyle an amazing singer - and this album perfectly suits her voice and is very christmassy and warming. The selection of songs are perfect, and perfectly suit her tone and style of singing - I predict that this may be a classic Christmas album.

I do have a few personal favourites: When a child is born, a duet with Johnny Mathis is amazing. The song just makes you tingle, and works so well on so many emotional levels. 'Have Yourself a very merry little Christmas' is my favourite of the entire album. So many different artists have covered this song, but Susan Boyle really does bring something new to it - her individuality shines through. When I first heard this track it gave me goosebumps; and for me this is a sign of a really good single!

Overall, I think Susan Boyle has really pulled of the Christmas Albums. Many singers fall in to the pitfalls of being generic, dull or inspiring with Xmas albums; but Boyle has completely avoided this. This album can be summed up in one word: perfection!

5.0 out of 5 stars home for christmas, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
would recommend as i loved the cd the duet with elvis was great so was susan would buy for friends

5.0 out of 5 stars bought as xmas present, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
Saw review on tv so bought for my dad for xmas.good value and he enjoyed it very much, would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Home for Christmas - Susan Boyle, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Home for Christmas (Audio CD)
This is one very rare woman, who can hit a nerve with an honest genuine emotional feeling that comes across so well in ALL her songs. Always an absolute delight to hear her at any time of the day. She has a true voice like a message is being passed to you personally, one which I have never witnessed quite so well ever before. I found that all her albums are a joy to listen to.

Home For Christmas