on 11 December 2000
I read lots of books as a child, many by Enid Blyton, but this has to be the best by far. It's all about 4 children, Bessie, Fanny, Jo and Dick and all the adventures that they had with their fairy friends in the Magic Faraway Tree. Even after 25 years I can still remember what "toffee shocks" and "pop biscuits" are. I'm now reading it to my 6 year old twins and it's magical to hear the excitement as they long to ride the "slipery slip" and make up their own versions of Saucepan Man's silly songs. If you have children, buy them this book, they will love it!!!
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2002
This book was read to the infants class I was in by our teacher Mrs Kensit - she bought this book alive (with all the proper appropriate voices)and we were all totally captivated 5 year olds. I have read this book to children both boys and girls who were equally enthralled - I have re-read it and the others in the series many times and I am now 55! It is still as magical as it was 50 years ago.
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2003
I read these books as a 6 year old, again as a teenager and countless times since. I can only echo what previous reviewers have already written - fantastic, every single word. The characters are imaginative yet believeable, the children are well brought up and likeable and the adventures make you green with envy.
Unfortunately I have mislaid my copies and sought to replace them. However, I discovered that the new reprints have changed the children's names from Joe, Bessie, Fanny and Dick, to Joe, Beth, Frannie and Rick. Pathetic. Definitely buy it, but buy secondhand copies to read it the way that Ms Blyton intended.
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2003
I can not recommend this book enough!I read all the Faraway Tree stories when I was a child and out of the hundreds of books that i consequently read, it is the only one that I have bought to put away to read to my daughter when she is older.
The book is based around the magical adventures that Joe,Beth and Frannie encounter when they climb up the Faraway Tree. I can still remember the excitement of reading about the fantastic lands that they visited and wishing that I could find a Faraway Tree of my very own!
Enid Blyton is a fantastic author and the writing describing characters such as Silky the fairy, Moonface and the slippery-slip slide and Mr Saucepan man will bring the magic alive and boost and capture a child's imagination.

This book is a perfect gift to give a child to encourage a love of reading and I think it would be hard to find a book that adults will love reading to their child as much as this one.
It is a book for the young and the young at heart who wish they still believed in MAGIC!
on 21 November 2012
I ordered the Dean & son 2011 hardback version with the blue cover and wasn't quite sure what to expect. It arrived this morning and I am very happy with it. It is larger than the hardback version I had as a child - 21.5 cm x 27.5 cm - but not as thick. The pages are coloured ( pastel blues, pinks, green, orange) and have a slight sheen on them. They are a bit like the pages in an annual and seem good quality.

There are quite a lot of illustrations (all coloured) and I think they are nice. According to the front of the book they were drawn by Georgina Hargreaves and the copyright is dated 1981, so they won't have been done when Enid Blyton wrote the book in the 1940's, but they do have a slightly old fashioned charm to them (e.g. the girls wear skirts and white knee socks, so no jeans, trainers, sweatshirts, or other modern clothes).

I have bought it as a Christmas gift and I am pleased with it. It is much better value than a paper back and looks a nicer, more expensive gift.
on 26 June 2002
The Magic Faraway Tree along with Folk of the Faraway Tree and The Enchanted Wood are 3 of the very best books ever written. I remember reading them as a child and recently bought them for my 5 year old niece. They brought back all of those magical memories and left such a warm feeling of nostalgia that I bought them for myself aswell. The concept is a magic tree, in which various fairy folk live, is simply enormous and reaches right up to the clouds where there's a different land every week. These range from fun ones like The Lands of Take-What-You-Want and and Do-As-You-Please to more 'sinister' ones such as Dame-Slap's School and The Land of Tempers. Adventure is always at hand and the imagination runs over-time. Just what every kid needs to wean them off computer games and into books - and adults to re-live their childhoods. BUY IT NOW!!!!!
on 8 July 2003
Whoever felt it necessary to change the names of the characters in this book, caused a lot of disappointment in our house! We have already read two well-battered collections of these wonderful stories, and then suddenly Jo, Bessie, Fanny and Dick are to become Joe, Beth, Frannie and Rick? It's a bit hard to take them seriously anymore.
Isn't half the point of books that they take you to a different place, time and world? So what's wrong with old fashioned names?
The illustrations are awful, unimaginative and uninteresting. But, fortunately the original idea of the story is as fascinating to my 5 year old as it was to me so I give it 4 stars, but with a severe health warning to anyone who has read the originals!!
on 22 April 2012
Such a lovely book. I was expecting it to be normal novel-sized, but the particular book we were sent is huge! And colourful and one of the most beautifully illustrated books. I bought it for my daughter who's experiencing the magic of these books just like I did as a child. And the pictures are really making it an even more magical experience.

As we read it the stories are coming back to me. It's amusing me that in this version, some of the names have changed; Fanny has become Franny and Dick is now Rick. And I'm sure some other things have changed over time too to make them more PC. But we're both enjoying it a lot. My daughter was 4 or 5 when we started reading this series, but I would recommend it for all children, young and old. Read these books and be transformed into a lovely, innocent world where children can go off into the woods by themselves and stay there until dinnertime. Going up trees, meeting up with strange creatures and visiting strange lands, and eating pop-cakes to their hearts content. Innocent escapism at its best.
on 19 July 2003
I liked this book because Beth, Franny and Joe climbed the tree and discovered new lands. It was my first Enid Blyton book that I read and I found it very easy to read and kept my attention. Georgia aged 6
on 18 March 2004
I love enid blyton books and this is one of my favourite.I would recomend it 2 anyone even my mum enjoyed it.
It is about joe,beth,frannie and there cousin rick.They live in a cottage in the country and near there house is a wood (the enchanted wood)They find a massive tree in the wood higher than the clouds.They climb the tree.And discover magical lands with some friends they make up the tree called moonface,saucepan man and silky the fairy.They visit lots of magical lands including the land of spells,the land of topsy turvy,the land of do as you please and many more magical,exciting lands.In the lands they have lots of fun,get into mischief and have mysterious adventures.It is one of the most exciting books i have read.You feel as if ur in an adventure with them tasting the yummy sounding foods and u have as much fun reading it as they do in an adventure.
This is an excellent book if u r thinking of buying this book i suggest u do u will love it!!
I hope u found this usefull.