4.0 out of 5 stars wow

Published 19 months ago by Gary Mangan

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredible 'firmware reset' issue
Published 6 months ago by D Easley

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredible 'firmware reset' issue, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Knog Blinder 4 V Rear 4 LED (Sports)
Every now and again my Blinder 4V would refuse to switch on, even though I knew it still had plenty of charge left. Eventually discovered that momentarily plugging the USB plug into any live USB socket fixed the problem (for a week or so). Grew frustrated with this so got a replacement. The replacement suffered from exactly the same problem! Suspecting it might be a bug that affects all units I did some searching and found this in the FAQ section of the Knog Blinder 1 manual PDF [...]

"FIRMWARE RESET
Q. My Blinder will not turn on. What do I do?
A. The Blinder is driven by firmware. Like any device, occasionally this firmware can crash. To rectify the situation and get your Blinder operating as normal the firmware needs to `restart'. To restart the firmware simply insert the Blinder into a USB port for at least 1 minute and remove. (Note: in rare instances you may need to do this a couple of times)"

So it sounds like all Knog Blinders may suffer have the same problem. Only problem is, inserting the Blinder into a USB port is not "simple" when you're miles from anywhere, in the dark. It's bordering on criminal that Knog would knowingly release a product with such a serious defect.

I have rated the product three stars in spite of the above because it's actually a great light when it's working. Such a shame you can't trust it and have to carry a backup.

4.0 out of 5 stars wow, 22 Dec 2012

3 it is a little overpriced

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect light, 17 Nov 2012
Extremely bright light
Excellent choice of modes
Secure fit onto seat post
Just double check space (if you use a saddle bag) I have my saddle reasonably high so have enough space for the light. It maybe that the saddle bag has to be ditched for this light for some.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice light let down by connection, 13 Jan 2014
I bought this light thinking that perhaps the other reviews about the rubber connection straps were possibly exaggerating the problem. Having read the reviews I knew about the problem and was careful putting it on and taking it off. I cycled 24 miles (3 commutes) and as I was charging it I noticed the rubber band was split about 2/3 of the way through. I taped it up and used it once more however am now looking for a sturdier replacement and will now use this as a backup.

Nice bright light - virtually unusable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a few months, 22 Oct 2013
Great light. So why only one star? Because the rubber strap which attaches the light to the seat post snapped of its own accord only a few months after purchase. Thankfully, it was at home rather than on the road. If it happened while I was riding at night, I probably wouldn't have noticed and could have been in danger as a result.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tragic design, 17 Mar 2013
Scribbler (Wye, Kent) - See all my reviews
Great piece of light technology with rechargeable USB plug - super idea. Whole thing let down by easily snapped rubber attachment. All of that technology left lying in the road because the rubber ring with snap-on clasp was broken after a few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 May 2014
Great product, no complaints at all. Simple to use and does the job. Really great look to them too, very happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars great light., 4 Feb 2014
This is great light which looks good as the brightness is fantastic. Rechargeable too which is fantastic. I use it on the road during the day too as not to be missed by inconsiderate cat drivers. My only worry is the plastic catch on the back. If it breaks it's all over. The numbers of different settings is a bonus too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 2 weeks, 21 Jan 2014
The lights worked well for 2 weeks. In that time they had to be recharged as I had used them on full beam for a few hours. The lights worked after a recharge but then stopped. Thankfully I could still return these under Amazon's policy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very bright, 20 Dec 2013
Very bright light.
My only concern is that when the battery runs out it seems to quickly die completely, as I have noticed on a couple of long rides the light wasn't working when I had finished. Its not the sort of thing you can easily keep checking when riding, so you just have to make sure its fully charged before you go out.

Knog Blinder 4 V Rear 4 LED