4.0 out of 5 stars Pure UF Escapism, 1 Sept. 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The third outing for Bannon and Clare and one that goes to push the boundries of Steampunk Victoriana to the max as the roles of gender are addressed alongside the emotional aspects of the principle characters, in a cleverly woven and wonderfully inventive plot line.

Delving into the depths of poverty that the masses live under, this tale takes you down to the dirty and badly lit streets as a mystery from our own world makes its way into Lilith’s with kickass action meeting cracking dialogue in a full on tale of daring do with barely a moment to breathe. All round a great piece of fiction and one that entertained me for quite some time. Magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: The Ripper Affair by Lilith Saintcrow, 21 Aug. 2014
I don’t know why I haven’t posted reviews of the previous instalments of this series on here. They were some of my favourite reads in the past couple of years.

What I love about this series is the vision of alternative London – dangerous, murky, but alive with so much imagination, magic and invention that it’s hard not to wish you could visit it.

Funny that it became something of a frustration in this novel – not so much so that I didn’t like it, but I just really wanted the pace to slow down at times so I could spend a little more time with the mean streets, getting to know their inhabitants. The plot rattled ahead at such a pace, sometimes we only got the barest glimpses of sorcery enhancing opium dens, mysterious skeletal creatures serving a strange magical entity, sorcerous duels. I just wished there had been a bit more time given to background detail, although I acknowledge it would have been to the detriment of the pacing – a difficult balance to strike.

I continue to love the complex, but sparely drawn characters. Saintcrow isn’t afraid to let readers work at figuring out the characters, and what the characters have figured out. The relationships between the characters are all the more tantalising for it, though I am starting to get a little antsy for information on certain characters – things that have been increasingly more alluded to as the series goes on. I have confidence that the eventual reveals will be incredibly satisfying, but I’m just itching to have the complete series right now so I can satisfy my need to know more.

Which, I suppose, is very high praise in a round about sort of way.

Rating: 4.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars A good third instalment, 25 Dec. 2014
Archibald Clare is caught in a terrorist attack on a court room, which leaves him realising just what Emma Bannon did to save his life earlier. He is not happy about that, and considers breaking the connection. But when the Britannia Empress comes to call on Emma, asking her help in a series of gruesome murders that threaten the Empire itself, Clare finds himself embroiled in the investigation that may cost them both their lives.

This is an improvement on The Red Plague Affair, building on the history, but with a more focussed plotline. We learn a little more of Emma’s background, and see the care she takes of her staff. Unfortunately, we see rather less of Clare’s mentath abilities (although if he had been operating on all mental cylinders, the book would have been somewhat shorter). There is room for many further interesting developments in this universe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable mystery, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Ripper Affair: Bannon and Clare: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
Once again, this is a nicely complex and challenging problem for our heros. I am particularly enjoying seeing how their world is developing. Like another reviewer, I did struggle to keep up at times, especially in trying to determine the time lapse since the previous story, though this was partly because it is quite a long time since I read the earlier books. Nevertheless, the story did not disappoint and I am looking forward to another installment.