4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and...
Published 6 months ago by Mrs. C. Swarfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Forgettable.
Published 5 months ago by Pigwin

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 1 Jan 2014
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and figured
the best wasy to avoid becoming that woman was to remain emotionally
uninvolved and she did, focusing on her career and enjoying a series of
one night stands whilst retaining her autonomy - and then she met Mark...

Mark seems the perfect man, he is english like Hannah, very successful and
very loving, he remains down to earth and not consumed by the trappings of
material gain. For him Hannah gives up her vow, leaves her own very success-
ful career in New York and moves back to London.

Everything is perfect - and then she goes to Heathrow to meet him from one
of his buisness trips and she waits at the arrivals gate and he's not there,
unable to reach him by phone or e-mail Hannah finds hereself turning into
her mother - searching for clues and not liking at all what she finds.

What follows is a series of revelations and unexpected ripples in the happiness
she thought they shared. A ripping good read I really enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a few chapters and you'll just want to know what on earth is going on!, 5 Feb 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Preferred this to 'The Bed I Made': a stronger and more likeable heroine, a much less guessable and twisty plot, lots of questions that seem answered but only lead to more questions. And I really didn't want to put it down until I worked out what on earth was going on!

Hannah is newly married. Husband Mark works in New York regularly but one weekend doesn't come home... Trying not to suspect the man she loves as her mother once did her father, Hannah begins investigating to discover what is happening but begins to find disturbing evidence that her perfect marriage really isn't all it seems. But is it simply another woman?

You think you can guess what's going on, but I certainly found my allegiance to characters and ideas about their loyalties kept changing.

Lots of tension fill this story. There's a real sense of danger, and as the plot (appears to) unravel, some very dark deeds come to light, and you think you know where you stand...

Quite a quick book to read, with a plot that moves fast. Highly recommended if you like psychological stories and twisty family thrillers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Supriseeeeee, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this book after reading the first few chapters, but... I carried on and what a surprise!! I thought it was all going to be very predictable And I can honestly say I was very wrong! You find yourself during to know what happens next. Definitely recommend this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Forgettable., 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
There have been so many domestic thrillers published in the past few years and this novel follows the usual format. Hannah is a thirty-something English advertizing executive working in New York where she meets Mark, a fellow Brit, with whom she falls in love and marries in haste. The story opens with Hannah driving to the airport to meet her husband who is due back from a business trip in New York and Hannah is oh-so-happy with her Mr Right! Then the anxiety mounts as Mark fails to turn up and the reader wonders if Mr Right is really Mr Wrong. How well does Hannah know Mark? This forms the basis for the novel and to go into any further detail regarding the plot at this point might risk revealing too much to potential readers.

This is the first Lucie Whitehouse novel I have read and, while far from original, it should still hold the reader's interest. The style is easy and unpretentious but I must confess the story is very forgettable and quite predictable, the plot slightly over-the-top and the characters stereotypical and lacking in any depth. Although I read right to the end without difficulty I was, nevertheless disappointed and underawed by the time I had finished as the plot contained no surprises for me and I found the book too long drawn out.

So if you are interested in an undemanding holiday read this might do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before We Met, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I've read from Lucie Whitehouse . I've just finished it and I'm not sure if I liked it or not . It scared me a little bit , or had me on the edge of my seat , at least . I didn't
Think it would end like it did . I'm not going to spoil it for others, but for anyone liking this genre of books , it is good . I've given it 5 ***** because I think it is well written .

5.0 out of 5 stars A tense and suspense filled read, 14 Jan 2014
EssexReader (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I love a twisty, tension filled psychological thriller and this certainly didn't disappoint. From the moment that newly married Hannah is left waiting at Heathrow for her husband Mark to return from a business trip from New York, the reader is left in no doubt that all is not well. Mark's initial attempts to explain why he wasn't on the flight and how he lost his phone don't entirely convince Hannah, especially when she finds out that his colleagues were expecting him to be somewhere else and she reluctantly starts digging a little deeper into their finances and his business. What she discovers devastates her and although she thought they were both very much in love, she is starting to doubt the man she married. When she questions his friends she discovers discrepancies which make her wonder about his past and the secrets he may be hiding.

Hannah is no pushover, neither is she meek and silly, she is an engaging character with emotions and worries that you could identify with. They were introduced through mutual friends whilst they were both working in New York and she thought she had found her perfect man. She is determined not to be like her mother, who drove her father away with her constant checking and accusations of affairs and has taken a lot on trust. However her discoveries leave her feeling vulnerable and afraid - having given up her NY job when they married to live with Mark in London, she has no resources of her own and her fears that Mark is having an affair and planning to leave her feel very real.

There were so many twists and turns in the story that it was difficult to decide between the lies and the truth.. As the story progresses the tension builds and it takes a sinister turn. There were times when I was so concerned as to the danger that Hannah could be walking into that I was almost too scared to read on.

I've read and enjoyed both of Lucie Whitehouse's previous books The House at Midnight and The Bed I Made but this superbly crafted novel takes her writing to another level of suspense and I loved it.

My thanks to Netgalley and Bloomsbury Publishing for the digital copy for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but only after the scene-setting chapters are over, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
First few chapters are pretty predictable chick lit fodder but then the book hits its stride and the plot becomes agreeably layered and complex. Don't be fooled by the comparisons to 'Gone Girl': in broad terms, both books are about how little we know our marriage partners, but they are very different offerings.

Persist, this book is worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believable characters with consistent voices elevate this effective thriller, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
There has been rather a glut of thrillers with unreliable narrators recently. I guess it’s been a bit of a publishing trend. However, I found “Before we met” to be superior to many that I have read, both in structure, tone and tension. I think that this is down to Lucie Whitehouse’s skill as a writer in creating believable characters with consistent voices throughout which draw the reader into the story. I found myself unable to resist the immersion, but for me it really worked.

The premise of the novel appears to be straightforward at the outset. Having reached her mid-life without a significant other Hannah Reilly appears to have finally met the man of her dreams, in upstate New York of all places. Mark is rich, successful and single, and after a whirlwind romance they marry and relocate back to the UK where Mark’s business is based. However when Mark unexpectedly fails to return home from a business trip back to New York Hannah slowly begins to discover that all is not as it might appear on the surface. She begins to question everything that she thought she knew about her new husband, and discovers that the truth is not quite as easy to navigate or explain.

The plot is beautifully judged, without veering into ridiculous or ill-conceived set-ups. I found the novel to be a bit of a slow burner at the start. There is a lot of back story to get through (not all of which can be relied upon) and many of the early chapters explore this aspect of the story. However as a reader I found that once you get past this initial hurdle you find yourself drawn into a labyrinth of riddles and lies from which there seems to be no easy escape.

This is the first of Whitehouse’s novels that I have read, but on the strength of this I’m tempted to try her debut, The House at Midnight. In the interim I would have no hesitation in recommending this well-constructed thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Before we met, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I liked the style the book was written in and I am always happy when you become involved with the book after only a few pages. It was easy reading and although at times I could easily predict what was coming next I still wanted to keep reading to the next chapter. I will most definitely try another book by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping, 10 Jan 2014
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book by Lucie Whitehouse that I have read and she really is excellent at building up the tension, taking you from a place where all is right in the world, to a sense that perhaps things aren't quite what they seem, to oh-my-goodness, I cannot put this book down! Before We Met is a real page turner. It hooked me in almost immediately and I read it in one evening.

I don't want to say too much about the story because it's best to let it unfold without knowing too much. Suffice to say that Hannah and Mark met about 18 months ago and have been married for around 6 months. When the book opens, she is at Heathrow Airport to meet him as he arrives back from a business trip to New York. However he doesn't get off the plane. Hannah doesn't know where he is, and when she tries to track his whereabouts, nothing seems to make any sense.

Now that I've finished the book, I can see some flaws in it. There are a couple of plot holes and the ending gets pretty ridiculous. It's also the kind of book where explanations tend to be accompanied by lengthy back stories which I occasionally found slightly annoying. But despite these problems, it's just a very enjoyable, page turning, suspenseful read that would be perfect for a plane flight or beach holiday when you want something gripping but not too taxing.

Before We Met