4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and...
Published 7 months ago by Mrs. C. Swarfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Forgettable.
Published 6 months ago by Pigwin

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 1 Jan 2014
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and figured
the best wasy to avoid becoming that woman was to remain emotionally
uninvolved and she did, focusing on her career and enjoying a series of
one night stands whilst retaining her autonomy - and then she met Mark...

Mark seems the perfect man, he is english like Hannah, very successful and
very loving, he remains down to earth and not consumed by the trappings of
material gain. For him Hannah gives up her vow, leaves her own very success-
ful career in New York and moves back to London.

Everything is perfect - and then she goes to Heathrow to meet him from one
of his buisness trips and she waits at the arrivals gate and he's not there,
unable to reach him by phone or e-mail Hannah finds hereself turning into
her mother - searching for clues and not liking at all what she finds.

What follows is a series of revelations and unexpected ripples in the happiness
she thought they shared. A ripping good read I really enjoyed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Forgettable., 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
There have been so many domestic thrillers published in the past few years and this novel follows the usual format. Hannah is a thirty-something English advertizing executive working in New York where she meets Mark, a fellow Brit, with whom she falls in love and marries in haste. The story opens with Hannah driving to the airport to meet her husband who is due back from a business trip in New York and Hannah is oh-so-happy with her Mr Right! Then the anxiety mounts as Mark fails to turn up and the reader wonders if Mr Right is really Mr Wrong. How well does Hannah know Mark? This forms the basis for the novel and to go into any further detail regarding the plot at this point might risk revealing too much to potential readers.

This is the first Lucie Whitehouse novel I have read and, while far from original, it should still hold the reader's interest. The style is easy and unpretentious but I must confess the story is very forgettable and quite predictable, the plot slightly over-the-top and the characters stereotypical and lacking in any depth. Although I read right to the end without difficulty I was, nevertheless disappointed and underawed by the time I had finished as the plot contained no surprises for me and I found the book too long drawn out.

So if you are interested in an undemanding holiday read this might do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a few chapters and you'll just want to know what on earth is going on!, 5 Feb 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Preferred this to 'The Bed I Made': a stronger and more likeable heroine, a much less guessable and twisty plot, lots of questions that seem answered but only lead to more questions. And I really didn't want to put it down until I worked out what on earth was going on!

Hannah is newly married. Husband Mark works in New York regularly but one weekend doesn't come home... Trying not to suspect the man she loves as her mother once did her father, Hannah begins investigating to discover what is happening but begins to find disturbing evidence that her perfect marriage really isn't all it seems. But is it simply another woman?

You think you can guess what's going on, but I certainly found my allegiance to characters and ideas about their loyalties kept changing.

Lots of tension fill this story. There's a real sense of danger, and as the plot (appears to) unravel, some very dark deeds come to light, and you think you know where you stand...

Quite a quick book to read, with a plot that moves fast. Highly recommended if you like psychological stories and twisty family thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, a must read psyche-thriller of 2014., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic read, I finished this book in just 2 days. We meet Hannah and Mark as a married couple but we soon find out that they married very soon after a whirlwind romance and it seems Hannah left many questions unanswered before marrying Mark. One day her husband is due to return from a business trip from America but fails to show and isn't answering her phone. Eventually Hannah hears from him and whilst he makes some excuses they don't add up and Hannah starts digging. And the more she digs the more she finds. I won't say more as I don't want to give away the story but let me just say it is a great read. It is well written but easy to read and fast paced and there is never a dull chapter just "filling in the pages". I love books set in England and this one is set in London and I love the way the business of the city is described but you can feel the isolation and loneliness Hannah feels and you know how big places are often the worst for those feelings. Fantastic book, cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read from start to finish., 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I would definitely definitely recommend this book. I found it totally gripping from the first page and could not put it down until the end. It was very well written and quick paced throughout.
This is the first book I have read by this author but I will definitely be looking out for more based on this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Supriseeeeee, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this book after reading the first few chapters, but... I carried on and what a surprise!! I thought it was all going to be very predictable And I can honestly say I was very wrong! You find yourself during to know what happens next. Definitely recommend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up half way through, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
The.book starts off fairly well, however I quickly tired of Hannah, a goody two shoes who swoons and vomits hwr way through discoveries about her husbands previous life - something which appeared to unrealistically represent women today - unlikely loyalty Mark shows his brother, the gaping holes in logic and the unbelievable explanations for his debt to his brother made me so frustrated I stopped reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars So so, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Not the nail biter I was expecting, very slow start, too much irrelevant detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up at the airport and it was a brilliant holiday read. It was an easy read and a real page turner. I am looking forward to moving on to her next book now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, 25 July 2014
Jennifer "Jen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
Hannah had always been determined not to follow in the footsteps of her bitterly divorced mother, by being independent, headstrong and avoiding commitment. But then one New York summer whilst visiting friends, she meets fellow Brit Mark Reilly. Despite everything, Hannah finds herself swept up in a love affair that changes all her ideas about what marriage might mean.
After getting married and living in their elegant, expensive London townhouse, as well as being adored by her fantastically successful husband, she knows she was right to let down her guard and take a chance on happy ever after.
But when Mark does not return from a business trip to the States, the foundations of Hannah’s certainty begins to crack. Why do Mark's colleagues believe he has gone to Paris not America? Why is there no record of him at his hotel? And who is the mysterious woman who has been telephoning him over the last few weeks?

I am not a stranger to the author Lucie Whitehouse, having read ( and very much enjoyed) one of her earlier offerings 'The Bed I Made' a couple of years back. I had been meaning to get around to reading her other book 'The House At Midnight' at some point, but then I spotted this new novel in the airport before going on holiday recently and decided to buy it.

I like Lucie Whitehouse's writing style. It is very easy to digest, whilst being intriguing and interesting without any boring descriptive sections or waffle. I enjoyed The Bed I Made and whilst this one wasn't quite as good a story for me personally, it was still an enjoyable book.
Having read a couple of 'disappearing husband' novels recently I am wondering if there is a new trend for this sort of thing, but as long as there is intrigue and mystery with a twist or two then I will always be interested, whatever the premise.
Here we have Hannah, who is quite a level-headed likeable character, who despite all her 'rules to live life by' finds herself in a whirlwind romance and ultimately ends up married to this amazing man, Mark.
Well pretty soon you realise that maybe Mark isn't quite all he seemed to be and their marriage seems to be based on a web of lies and deceit. Hannah has to face up to the fact that Mark suddenly doesn't seem to be the man she thought he was.

After giving up her life in New York and a job she loved to be with her husband in London, Hannah has a right to feel angry when Mark doesn't get off a flight home he was meant to be on, as Hannah stands waiting to meet him. Hannah waits a while, making rational excuses in her head, but Mark doesn't arrive on any of the flights that night; nor is she able to contact him. What was happening? Where was he?
As time ticks by, Hannah starts to call people who might be able to help her and she soon realises things aren't quite right about Mark's' business trip. Why lie about where you are? What is he hiding?
Even when Mark does finally make contact, Hannah can't help but question herself – how well does she know Mark? The secrets are becoming obvious and faced with fear, uncertainty and no job or money of her own, Hannah realises the honeymoon is most certainly over.

To say anything more about the actual story here would give too much away, but I did find it a fairly interesting read throughout, with a sinister twist along the way too.
I enjoyed the characters of Hannah and Mark and found them well developed. I also liked the character of Hannah's brother Tom and also Mark's brother Nick. There was nobody who irked me in this book, which was a bonus.
I couldn't guess at how the story was going to end, which is another bonus, and whilst I enjoyed it, I did feel a little more time could have been spent on the aftermath, but overall it didn't take away my enjoyment of the story.
I read this book in two days whilst I was on holiday, but had I been at home, I may even have managed it in just one sitting as it does have a certain 'unputdownable' quality.

There have been comparisons between this book and Gillian Flynn's 'Gone Girl', which herald this new type of 'secrets within a marriage' type of thriller I referred to earlier, which seems to be increasing in popularity right now, but having read both of these books, I can say that in my opinion both this one, whilst not quite worthy of five stars, certainly exceeds the dullness and confusion of Gone Girl for me personally. Therefore I am happy to recommend!

As Hannah begins to dig into her husband’s life, uncovering revelations that throw into doubt everything she has ever believed about him and her investigation leads her away from their fairytale romance into a place of violence and fear, she must decide whether the secrets Mark has been keeping are designed to protect him, or protect her …

Before We Met