4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and...
Published 13 months ago by Mrs. C. Swarfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Forgettable.
Published 11 months ago by Pigwin

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 1 Jan. 2014
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and figured
the best wasy to avoid becoming that woman was to remain emotionally
uninvolved and she did, focusing on her career and enjoying a series of
one night stands whilst retaining her autonomy - and then she met Mark...

Mark seems the perfect man, he is english like Hannah, very successful and
very loving, he remains down to earth and not consumed by the trappings of
material gain. For him Hannah gives up her vow, leaves her own very success-
ful career in New York and moves back to London.

Everything is perfect - and then she goes to Heathrow to meet him from one
of his buisness trips and she waits at the arrivals gate and he's not there,
unable to reach him by phone or e-mail Hannah finds hereself turning into
her mother - searching for clues and not liking at all what she finds.

What follows is a series of revelations and unexpected ripples in the happiness
she thought they shared. A ripping good read I really enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a few chapters and you'll just want to know what on earth is going on!, 5 Feb. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Preferred this to 'The Bed I Made': a stronger and more likeable heroine, a much less guessable and twisty plot, lots of questions that seem answered but only lead to more questions. And I really didn't want to put it down until I worked out what on earth was going on!

Hannah is newly married. Husband Mark works in New York regularly but one weekend doesn't come home... Trying not to suspect the man she loves as her mother once did her father, Hannah begins investigating to discover what is happening but begins to find disturbing evidence that her perfect marriage really isn't all it seems. But is it simply another woman?

You think you can guess what's going on, but I certainly found my allegiance to characters and ideas about their loyalties kept changing.

Lots of tension fill this story. There's a real sense of danger, and as the plot (appears to) unravel, some very dark deeds come to light, and you think you know where you stand...

Quite a quick book to read, with a plot that moves fast. Highly recommended if you like psychological stories and twisty family thrillers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Forgettable., 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
There have been so many domestic thrillers published in the past few years and this novel follows the usual format. Hannah is a thirty-something English advertizing executive working in New York where she meets Mark, a fellow Brit, with whom she falls in love and marries in haste. The story opens with Hannah driving to the airport to meet her husband who is due back from a business trip in New York and Hannah is oh-so-happy with her Mr Right! Then the anxiety mounts as Mark fails to turn up and the reader wonders if Mr Right is really Mr Wrong. How well does Hannah know Mark? This forms the basis for the novel and to go into any further detail regarding the plot at this point might risk revealing too much to potential readers.

This is the first Lucie Whitehouse novel I have read and, while far from original, it should still hold the reader's interest. The style is easy and unpretentious but I must confess the story is very forgettable and quite predictable, the plot slightly over-the-top and the characters stereotypical and lacking in any depth. Although I read right to the end without difficulty I was, nevertheless disappointed and underawed by the time I had finished as the plot contained no surprises for me and I found the book too long drawn out.

So if you are interested in an undemanding holiday read this might do the trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Supriseeeeee, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this book after reading the first few chapters, but... I carried on and what a surprise!! I thought it was all going to be very predictable And I can honestly say I was very wrong! You find yourself during to know what happens next. Definitely recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly compelling... 5 stars from me!!!, 16 Dec. 2014
Tamara Spokes (Solihull, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
I don't normally write reviews on every book I've read but I thought it would be a crime not to do it for this one.
I can only describe this book is a extremely compelling, roller-coaster of a read.

I thought that LW had really took the time to develop the characters, (particularly the protagonist, Hannah, and her estranged mother in law, Elizabeth) and the story was very well written, being fast paced, but also very moving and sensitive when it needed to be.

Having read other Amazon reviews about this book, I notice that some reviewers have described it as 'predictable, ' but I must say that I didn't find it so. (obviously this depends on the mind set of the individual reader.) The way I see it, The book could have followed a number of different paths.

All the way though this, I felt like Lucie Whitehouse was taking me on a journey throughout. Her attention to detail was stunning, and made me feel as if I was actually another character in the story. I would have liked to have read more about how Hannah was rebuilding her life after the events of the story, but at the same time, I liked that this was left to the reader's imagination, and it definitely made me think about how I would react if I was in a similar situation.

Looking forward to reading more from the Whitehouse pen :)

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, and the twist is totally predictable, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
This book was ok to read by the pool in the sunshine but, as others have commented, really doesn't deserve 5* ratings! To have a main character who is routinely "surfing the internet" it is just silly to think she wouldn't have googled her whirlwind lover's name and found out his secret at the outset. The plot device to explain this (her mum used to check up on her dad) is weak - a change of name would've been more persuasive. The thing that irritated me most though was the way the author constantly writes "she, Hannah," instead of just "she" when referring unambiguously to Hannah. Anyway, it was a mildly entertaining read, not great, and the twist is totally predictable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
Really surprised by all the positive reviews....I was completely unimpressed! Poor storyline and the 'twist' was glaringly obvious. Plus the obsession with money throughout the novel made the whole novel pretentious, not for me!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading this gripping page turner while on holiday in ..., 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this gripping page turner while on holiday in Asia. Plenty of twists and turns, as the reader tries to work out whether Mark is a good or bad person. The uber geek in me couldn't help being irritated by some minor mistakes, which the author's male, sporting, business or just similarly geeky friends could perhaps have helped her avoid (Harlequins is a rugby union team, not league; one goes onto the A4 at Hammersmith, not the A40; and the proposed sale of Mark's business to another company would have been just that, a sale, not a buy-out). However, this barely detracted from a thoroughly entertaining read - ideal holiday material, well plotted, with very believable characters and excellent twists. I will certainly buy other books by this talented writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars creepy, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Paperback)
I have now read all three lucy whitehouse books The Bed I Made, The House At Midnight and Before We Met.

Before We Met starts with Hannah Reilly with the buzz in her stomach as she is waiting in Terminal Three for her husband. She coukd see that on the monitors that her husband's Mark plane had just landed. But her husband Mark failed to get off his plane. Hannah tries to phone, text and email her husband with no reply. When Hannah gets a call from her husband of course he has the perfect excuse for missing his flight. But does Hannah really know her husband Mark well? Does she know what happened before they both met?. All though this is a creepy story this is not one of favourite from Lucy Whitehouse. Review by ireadnovels.wordpress.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up at the airport and it was a brilliant holiday read. It was an easy read and a real page turner. I am looking forward to moving on to her next book now.

Before We Met