4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and honest
Published 6 months ago by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
I've been a big Rush fan for over 30 years and have seen them live on their last 6 tours. Geddy, Alex and Neil are heroes to me.

I went to the Clockwork Angels tour at the NEC in Birmingham last year and (apart from the usual first song or two whilst he got warmed-up) Geddy's voice was excellent throughout and it was a great show. Unfortunately, this recording...
Published 4 months ago by Paul_B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and honest, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
Having read some of the other reviews, I was not sure what to expect in terms of quality. I have seen Rush many times and saw them three times on the Clockwork Angels Tour. I have now listened to the discs many times and think that they are a fairly honest and accurate record of what it's like being at a show and do a good job of recreating the live experience. In fact sounded really like the Glasgow show. Alex's guitar is high in the mix, as it was at the shows which for me is great. Drums on my system are balanced and musical and there is no problem hearing them. They are lower in the mix but again accurate for this tour. Am very pleased with the overall listening experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rushtastic, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
I had read some reviews before being purchased the CD as a Christmas present. Being a life long Rush fan I was interested to see that some of the tracks were from Grace under pressure and Power Windows, two of my favourite Rush albums. To be honest I did not fall frothing at the mouth when I first heard Clockwork Angels or its predecessor Snakes and Arrows, I just did not enjoy the production. I do feel in recent years Rush have lost a little of the clever hook lines and melodies that their songs were often punctuated with. However, I do feel that this live collection captures the true essence of Rush in concert. The audio whilst occasionally cluttered is no where near as bad as some reviews have suggested. Overall Geddy's voice stands up fine. As for the musicianship, Rush never fail to entertain. Excellant band, good release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show ever, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
The best Rush live show ever.
How do they do it
First half just Rush, great choice of songs, each one played to perfection and they were really enjoying them selves
You watch some groups and they just go through the motions, no heart in what they are doing
Rush, you can tell they love being together and playing.
Second half was with the Strings, again anther fantastic performance
What a night

5.0 out of 5 stars Rush Rock!, 20 April 2014
S. Maycock (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
I had to buy this after seeing the band live on this tour at the O2, London. One of the best bands live I have ever seen, and I have been going to gigs since the 70s. Great band, great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Angels Tour, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
Back to Rush in the late 70's!!! Fantastic!!! Raw and back to basics even though they have a string section for the first time as a three piece. Fantastic for any Rush or Rock fan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A record of the first time I have seen a Rush tour, 9 Feb 2014
Gerard Deegan (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
This is a great record of the tour I saw at the O2. Includes all of the variations to the set list that I didn't see that night. It was a superb show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Album, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
If you like Rush, this is a must have. The use of the live string ensemble is inspired and beautifully executed. Have not heard a better or in fact equally good live album from Rush. Each of them pushing 60yrs old and playing better than ever. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for 3 discs, 22 Nov 2013
Julian Phipps (Engalnd) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
Seen the other reviews about sound quality. I agree that in parts it does sound poorly mixed when I listen to it on the kitchen radio. On a proper hi fi though it sounds fine. I prefer this setlist to the Snakes and Arrows one. GUP and PW are amongst my favourite of their albums - love The Body Electric. The string section adds another dimension to the Clockwork Angels material and the additional tracks with them on are a pure treat. Yes, you could be picky about Geddy's voice, but let's face it, he already had quite a distinctive voice which was a bit Marmite. If you don't like it then don't listen to it!

At that price, if you're even half a fan, well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Alex and Geddy show., 22 Nov 2013
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
Wow this release is taking some brickbats here,,crap sound,poor production,terrible vocals,drums missing,the dvd reviews have some lauding the sound quality other less impressed,so where to start...

Yes the drums are low in the mix but he's still there and can be heard,yes it takes a little more effort on the part of the listener but you can still zone in on Pearts performance and enjoy,he's just not at the fore front as many would wish.The vocals are certainly better than the 'Time Machine ' release but that wouldnt have been hard!,so its a passable vocal performance no more,nothing to do with the production,Geddy's gettin' old. Packaing on the CD is pretty cheap,when was the last time you got a loose booklet?

So whats to like? well disc 1,for me, is covering many tracks from my least liked period,so it drags a bit doesnt all flow,for me, amazingly an underwhelming opening with(personal fav ) 'Subdivisions' before it kicks in with 'Big Money' & 'Force Ten',those 2 probably should have been the opener,the rest of thetracks dont really flow for me decent if perfunctory versions of the likes of 'Grand Designs/Territories etc,the disc closes on a bit of a high with 'Where's my Thing' and 'Far Cry'. probaly 3 stars for disc 1.

Disc 2, well this will be guided wether you liked the 'Clockwork Angels' release,i did,so i love disc 2 from start to finish,the ensemble enhances and isnt too intrusive,the band sound enthused,'alive' playing new material,a complete contrast,in my opinion to disc 1,,the Bass and guitar immense,some of Alex's solo's outstanding,this for me ,will be the go to disc from this release. 5 stars.

Disc 3 a pot pourri here,the end of the concert with a superb 'Dreamline' and enjoyable version of 'Red Sector A' whilst 'YYZ' takes on a new dimension with the ensemble. A thouroghly exuberant 'Spirit of the Radio' closes the show whilst the excellent encore brings a smile 'Tom Sawyer' & a ramped up version of 2112-overture/temples/finale,where Neil rampages around his kit in fine style. The disc then kinda peeter's out with bonus tracks tagged on,although its always a pleasure to hear 'Limelight' in any guise,here as a soundcheck. 4 stars.

So all in all not perfect by any means,taking an average per disc,i'll settle for 4 stars,its not going to beat the likes of 'Different Stages' but i'm happy with my purchase,i do think maybe 3 live albums in 5 years is pushing it and we're starting to tire of these releases,its not an event anymore,who knows,its upto you wether you purchase or not

5.0 out of 5 stars music, 30 Jun 2014