4.0 out of 5 stars Good background reading for Victorian novels
This is a wonderful work of popular social history about the lives of Victorians. But, rather than the upper classes or the ruling elite, or the working classes, we are taken into the homes of the middle classes. Yes, this is costume drama territory. Flanders introduces us to the archetypal middle class house -- perhaps a prosperous five-storey villa in the city, or a...
Published on 21 Mar 2005 by SAP

3.0 out of 5 stars Cross between and 'interesting' read and a 'study' volumn
As an 'oldie' found the print both too small and indistinct. I bought it to satisfy an 'interest' and ot as a study subject and for me it was, coupled with the reading difficulty, a little deep. Nevertheless I found it satisfying.
Published 21 months ago by V. G. N.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sep 2014
Book was in better than expected condition - very pleased and have already made my next order.

1.0 out of 5 stars An oddly bigoted book, 6 Nov 2004
Robyn Pender (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
To date I've always reviewed only those books I found wonderful, but I found this one so very irritating, and so very unlike anything the reviews had led me to expect, that I'm breaking my rule and adding some words of criticism...
Judith Flanders seems so bigoted and biased against everything Victorian, that I can't understand why she chose this subject. The very long and disparate Victorian period is here lumped together mish-mash, with little explanation of the processes of change. Supported facts were few, but the author's opinions are many; and generalising from the particular is rife throughout.
We often berate the Victorians for (as we see it) having believed that they lived in the "best of all possible worlds". Here Flanders ruthlessly does the same, judging everything from morals to mortar by how closely they resemble those of our own times. She appears to believe that all things now are automatically better than in the past - I'm sure some of her older potential readers will take issue with this! - and what is more to forget that even our inarguable improvements in, say, sanitation could not have arisen without a period of development. I do wish she'd just included more facts, and then left them to speak for themselves. And a little affection for a subject never goes astray, even in a historical text...

4.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know about middle class Victorian Engalnd, 25 Oct 2014
Great book on middle class life in Victorian England

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 6 Jan 2013
I bought this item as a Christmas gift for a friend. It has been very well received so I will probably purchase other titles by Judith Flanders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book on the era., 27 Jun 2004
S. BARRATT "Currer Bell" (YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I liked the set out of this book best, the chapters marrying up to rooms of a Victorian house, hence the title.
Lots of information and an interesting read. Lovely photos and the book itself is well bound and looks pretty on the shelf.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 9 Mar 2004
Sue Thumwood (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was very interesting and informative. I particularly enjoyed the elements which reminded me of things I had heard from my own elderly relatives many years ago.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting but very tedious read., 28 Dec 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book purportedly as a bestseller, but having read it (well, most of it) I cannot understand why the reviews were so good. The material in the book is interesting, but there is far too many examples given, which makes it very tedious to read. It is written as if it were a research paper, but I am not sure whether it could be used as such by any other student. Similarly, it is not a book for someone looking for a 'light historical' read either. There is potential in the book for it to be a five star rating if there was considerable editing, particularly concerning the overuse of examples.
Overall I was dissappointed with this book and didn't manage to read it right through, latterly I read just the beginning of chapters. Re-reading the reviews printed on the book cover, it strikes me they have been carefully worded, and are what I consider 'economical with the truth'!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›