4.0 out of 5 stars Good background reading for Victorian novels
This is a wonderful work of popular social history about the lives of Victorians. But, rather than the upper classes or the ruling elite, or the working classes, we are taken into the homes of the middle classes. Yes, this is costume drama territory. Flanders introduces us to the archetypal middle class house -- perhaps a prosperous five-storey villa in the city, or a...
Published on 21 Mar. 2005 by SAP

3.0 out of 5 stars Cross between and 'interesting' read and a 'study' volumn
As an 'oldie' found the print both too small and indistinct. I bought it to satisfy an 'interest' and ot as a study subject and for me it was, coupled with the reading difficulty, a little deep. Nevertheless I found it satisfying.
Published on 5 Jan. 2013 by V. G. N.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 6 April 2011
S. Kay (England) - See all my reviews
I found The Victorian House to be an excellent read. Well written, Judith Flanders covers a wide variety of connected subjects as she moves from room to room. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book, 23 Jan. 2013
A big book full of information,its not easy to put down,many pictures some I've never come across before,its well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 16 Jun. 2013
This was part of a christmas present for my daughter who loves anything to do with Victorian era especially in the home

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well researched, 8 July 2014
The book was an used copy but very pristine, without any marks or tears. It was delivered well before the promised deadline. It is a very well researched book. I am in love with Victorian literature and history, for the first time I got to take a wholistic peek at the domestic and social life of those times, how middle class people actually lived. Enlightening and very good value for money copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 15 April 2014
This review is from: The Victorian House: Domestic Life from Childbirth to Deathbed (Kindle Edition)
I bought this some years ago for my very elderly mother in law, thinking that it might have some resonance with bits of her childhood but I ended up being the one that was fascinated by the contents. The experience of home - the way in which we use and experiences our homes - the chores that come with homes - these are common denominators. This book helps to explain how our modern houses evolved. And if you live in the UK with its massive stock of Victorian urban housing, this is a book which gives you a powerful sense of the domestic context. Beautifully written, the book wears its scholarship lightly, with a nice balance between quotation, exposition and illustration. I have read the book many times - it is good enough to sustain multiple readings. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars How the Victorian' s lived, 19 Oct. 2014
I enjoyed Judith Flanders book on life in the Victorian city, and brought this book to see what she made of domestic life in the Victorian era. I enjoyed the book but was a bit disappointed that it concentrated on the middle classes as I would have liked to have more info on the working class

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I have read in a long time, 4 Sept. 2014
one of the best books I have read in a long time. Especially useful if you live in a Victorian house and want to know why you have so many compartmentalized rooms!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, fascinating - make a lovely Christmas present, 5 Dec. 2014
Absolutely wonderful, fascinating - make a lovely Christmas present. I always had a rather cosy view of life for Victorian domestic servants but not any more!

4.0 out of 5 stars a step bck into our past, 8 May 2014
a really good read, very informative , and educational at the same time, so if you like learning about the past then this might be your type of book

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book, 13 Jan. 2014
A good book with many informative and interesting points. I would recommend this book to persons who are interested in this period of history.