Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 17 August 2014
This is another great Tom Holt book; his early books were great, but for a while there they seemed to go a bit flat. His latest three books - Doughnut, When It's a Jar, and this one are all great and he is clearly back on top form.

It makes sense to read Doughnut and When It's a Jar before reading this one, primarily because this one against touches on multiverse theories, and there's an ongoing theme again with the doughnuts (you'll know what I mean if you have already read the previous two books). I think you could read this one as a standalone, but I'm sure you'd understand the context of it a lot better if you read the previous two first.

There are dragons, knights, woodcutters rescuing damsels from ravenous wolves dressed in the clothing of old ladies, wizards, goblins, dwarves and elves aplenty in this book. It takes a few chapters before you can see where the story might be going, but it's an enjoyable journey all the way through. There are plenty of laughs, and plenty of completely odd characters to enjoy the story with - I particularly had a soft spot for the goblin king Mordak, and you will find a couple of other characters from the previous two books who turn up again as well. Always good for a laugh, this book is definitely a great Tom Holt. Thoroughly enjoyable, and a very funny ending. It's good to see him on a roll again.
2020 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2014
Despite some of other reviews, I found this much easier to follow than its precursors in the 'doughnut' series. Funny, imaginative, readable. Sure, it's not high literature, but it passes a few hours pleasurably, and it was the most enjoyable Tom Holt book I've read since 'Blonde Bombshell' - and, unlike some Holt fantasy novels, the ending wasn't disappointing either.
on 21 August 2014
Tom Holt continues his wandering through the superbly surreal surroundings of his fantasy worlds. This one appeals to me more than the last couple he has written and I was gripped by the narrative and engaged in the story more. I was expecting something better (if you will pardon the pun), but he has got back on track. To fully understand the references and plot line, it helps if you have read "Doughnut" - but it isn't essential (and if you are a Tom Holt fan you will have read it already anyway).
on 28 July 2014
Just doesn't really work tongue either too far in cheek or not far enough in, felt it was produced by rote rather then any real idea behind it. competently written and sometimes funny but overall a thin idea, that would probably have suited as a novella or longish short story rather than a full blown novel. None of the originality of earlier works
on 24 April 2015
If you are reading this then you are interested in Tom Holt books and will probably know the story line. Won't spoil that for you but you need to read / listen to Doughnut first.
All I will say is that Ray Sawyer, the narrator, does have a range of different voices for the characters and is quite good, but if you listen to the Terry Pratchet talking books, he's nowhere near as good as Nigel Planer who is superb.
on 11 August 2014
Great fun as always! A follow up from Doughnut - totally different but just as good
on 15 November 2014
I haven't read a Holt book in a while, and I was pleasantly surprised by this. It's laugh-out-loud funny in parts, and very engaging. I enjoyed it a lot. I usually read Pritchett when I'm in the mood for comic fantasy, but I think I'll be switching to Tom Holt in future!
on 15 April 2015
Kept me reading but nothing new which can be a plus and a minus. You know what you are getting and the threads from previous books work but at the same time I felt I'd been here before - maybe I've read too many of his books, or looked through too many toroids :)
on 11 August 2014
very funny the usual flight of fantasy that Tom Holt writes.
on 13 April 2015
I was reading this on the day that the Large Hadron Collider was switched back on. I lost a very large amount of time looking for the name Theo Bernstein in the papers. This book is exceptional.