on 2 January 2014
One more outstanding compilation added to my collection... Great mix of classic / new... A must for Real Music Lovers x
on 23 February 2014
Well done Fitzroy, you exceeded my high expectations!! From track one, the sublime Brenda Russell through to the last track from Kenny Wellington (who is new to me a solo artist), I loved it and you will not be disappointed if you buy it. This collection blends the familiar with some cuts that might have been missed as it passes through time from 1977 to the present. On the home front, I just love the Incognito remix, the Omar track sounds so fresh - it really should have been a massive hit and Personal Life are just wonderful. From Stateside, the selections delve deeper than just the obvious tracks from the likes of Earth, Wind & Fire, Cameo and Brass Construction, but the quality is just as high. Soul survivors indeed!!
I cannot wait for Volume 2 - don't make us wait too long
on 8 December 2013
This is another five star cd from Expansion, however you may already have some of the tracks like The Impressions, Omar, Incognito and the Gap Band. But with 16 tracks on this cd there is enough to warrant the £10 price tag.
Those who are familiar with Expansion Records and the quality smooth soul they produce should note that this cd has a raw edgier sound. With several tracks having that early 70's funk, jazzy type sound and an all together less commercial feel. It should also be noted that this cd is compiled by soul survivors, rather than the usual Ralph Tee or Richard Sealing pairing, so hence the difference.
There are some newer tracks such as Amp Fiddler which is great. However I would suggest that you listen to some of the tracks on youtube before you make a decision on this one, as most tracks are available to listen to.
As expansion records have issued three CDs in the past two months, I would use the rule of thumb as follows:-
If you like R & B buy Soul Togetherness 2013.
If you like upbeat groove and more commercial soul buy Love Vibes Too.
But if you like edgier Jazz Funk buy this Sounds of Universal Love.
See my other reviews for details.
This is still a great cd and anyone who doesn't have these songs in their collection should consider buying it.
Also Expansion usually issues a luxury soul cd early each year, so look out for that around Feb 2014. It is usually a great mix of new and older sounds at a great price.
on 10 January 2014
Another fine album from fitzroy well worth a punt on you won't be dissaponted some little gems in this collection
on 29 August 2014
fitzroy masterpiece great track selection
on 1 February 2014
I listened to this a few times hoping it would grow on me- it failed too, therefore its going to the charity shop. I found it boring and predictable same same