on 19 December 2013
I went to see gravity, as many people must have, for what I assumed to be amazing special effects. I expected very little else. I walked out if that cinema red eyed and speechless. Not only had the visual effects been above and beyond even my highest expectations but the story itself (even the cheesy-at-times dialogue) drew me in.

But the one element that truly captivated me; that tied story to character and made me believe what I was singing and feel what the characters were feeling, was the score. Without a doubt one of the most beautiful, awe inspiring, captivating and emotional pieces of sound track work I have heard in years.

I pre ordered this CD while walking out of the cinema after the second or third time I saw the film. That should be enough to make someone curious. I could write a comparative description comparing it to the likes of say Kronos Quartet or other masters of modern film score but I would rather simply sing it's praises and let others make up their own mind.

The track Shenzou will have you gripping the arms of your chair.

Steven Price I salute you sir.
on 6 January 2014
The best score I have heard in a long time. It added so much to the movie, carrying it in many places due to realism requiring little to no sound effects throughout very dramatic scenes.

A further development/evolution of scores for Transformers and other Hans Zimmer works (i.e. experimenting with the nature of sound itself and not just the tunes played by an orchestra, to breath new life into movie soundtracks), the tracks do an excellent job of both capturing one's emotions and portraying the progressive shift of setting throughout the movie.

Many clever tricks are used during exterior space scenes (e.g. music played backwards, sharp transitions, static noise) and there's a great feeling of continuity as the same core theme is played in different ways to reflect how space can both be beautiful and horrifying.

I particularly like how the degree of distortion correlates perfectly to where each scene is set - pure female vocals represent Earth, while low synthesised tones represent the worst that space can throw at someone - also serving as leitimotif for the villainous debris field.

We begin in space, with a lot of the latter distortion, culminating in the terrifying ISS sequence where if you listen closely mother Earth even sings a warning/lament for Dr. Stone just before the catastrophe begins. After this ultimate terror, the same scare theme gradually becomes more upbeat until "Shenzou" perfectly mirrors the final scenes as action transitions from space to Earth while distortion is completely overpowered by pure vocals and a no-longer-synthesised orchestra. It's like the vacuum of space was messing up the soundtrack throughout, and this interference is finally banished once we get back into the atmosphere.

Randomly, it actually reminds me of the Star Trek IV "whale probe", whose signal sounded grating, harsh and artificial until it was translated into how it was heard underwater.

Very clever and extremely effective, both a well-planned and moving journey that stands out above and beyond the movie itself.

Highlight tracks are: Parachute, Tiangong, Shenzou and Gravity.
on 17 February 2014
just listened to the whole of the soundtrack. Excellent. If you like this style of music you should check out Tangerine Dreams early stuff, such as their albums - Zeit, Alpha Centauri, Phaedra, Rubycon and the Socerer. In particular Zeit. I love this sort of music. It's best listened to in a darkened room through a really good set of headphones with a nice bottle of red. To infinity, and beyond.
on 1 December 2013
I loved this movie and felt that about 50 percent of it's success is down to the wonderful soundtrack. It's different to lots of usual blockbuster fanfares.... it has no percussion, but works great. Lots of background noise that you hear in the film is here. A stunning effort that takes you back into space.
on 23 December 2013
I love this. In a similar vein to some of Hans Zimmers music. Really captures the frightening clastrophobic vacuum of space. Has a great theme running through the music and as with all great film music, you can listen to the whole album and enjoy it.
on 5 November 2014
"Gravity" is a fantastic score, one of my favorites of the year. The early tracks have a lot of variety - some evoke a sense of thrills/danger, while others are very calm and fill the listener with a sense of wonder. The tracks near the end of the album (particularly the final three tracks) seem to tie all the themes and emotions together in a way that is dazzling to the ears. I've rarely enjoyed a film score this much on a first listen; and I feel the music will only get better the more you listen to it.

At nearly 72 minutes in length, "Gravity" is a bit longer than most other soundtrack albums. I say the more music the better. In fact, since the movie is just over 90 minutes long, I'd guess we're getting a score here that's probably just about complete.

The music has a very prominent role in the film, given the decision to use almost no sound effects. Steve Price's score works very well in the film, but it's just as great to listen to on its own.

FAVORITE TRACKS
[3] The Void
[9] Parachute
[15] Shenzou
[16] Gravity
on 27 January 2015
I wonder if Steven Price knew what he was getting himself into when he took the difficult task to compose the music for gravity. As we all know no sound can be heard in space and the film, for the most part, stick to that rule so the music was always to be a crucial part of the movie as a substitute to very minimal sound effects and to convey the dangers, chaos, thrills, emotions etc...needed.

Beautiful, dark, oppressive, captivating, dramatic, vibrant, desperate, chilling, chaotic, tense, powerful, poignant, haunting, sweeping, triumphant...are just a few words to describe this tremendous and stunning soundtrack which matches the equally stunning movie it was made for. A must buy! And congratulation Mr Price for your wonderful talent and producing one of the most awe inspiring soundtrack ever made!
on 15 December 2013
Steven Price an unknown brought us one of the best soundtrack of the year for one of the most astounding film of the year : Gravity .. This is perfect blend of sound effects and music that I've heard in recent years ..a 2001 : a space odyssey of the 21st century ..moving music mixed with resounding industrial sounds proved to be the backbeat of this space adventure / catastrophe movie ..highlights are Don't Let go ,Debris and the epic ending trio Tiangong , Shenzou and Gravity which when listened together just bring goosebumps down my spine ..In short one of the most innovative , moving soundtrack of the year and my favourite of 2013
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 February 2014
Listening as I type, I think that this soundtrack will have more impact on me when I see the film (have it pre ordered), but based on this casual listen it's a fine piece of work which will become more meaningful. Reminiscent of Hans Zimmer with it's electronic overtones, strings and choir. The latter part of the disc is so peaceful...recommended.
on 3 May 2015
This has to be one of the most epic soundtracks ever made and it's definitely my all time favorite.
Everytime I listen to it, my emotions go through a rollercoaster ride from sadness and loneliness to excitement and hopefulness.
A true masterpiece!