‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping, enthralling and perfectly balanced historical read., 23 April 2014
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Paperback)
I read a huge part of this book in one sitting because I simply couldn’t stop reading! Dangerous Decisions had me hooked from the first page. This is a beautifully written period story that transports the reader back in time to be totally immersed in the sights and sounds of the era. It explores the lives of a whole raft of vibrant, colourful Edwardian characters from the wealthy landowners down to the poverty stricken lower classes. Margaret Kaine paints a complete, what must have been meticulously researched, canvas of Edwardian living. Downton Abbey eat your heart out!

The reader can immediately identify with Helena, the lead lady of the book and share her concerns about her choice of husband, but also sympathise with her as her sense of duty prevails. Through the thoughts and opinions of her characters Margaret Kaine weaves in to the story all the important social and political issues of the day. She gives us an insight into just how difficult life could be as an Edwardian woman, whether she was privileged and wealthy lady like Helena or existing on her wits as a ‘lady of the night’ like Cora.

It is a gripping tale full of intrigue, prejudice and romance which takes the form of two very different men, one who the reader very early on falls in love with and one whose despicable actions invoke only contempt.

Towards the end of the book I began to wonder how all the strands of the story were going to come together or if they ever would. I had to keep reading, it wasn’t an option, it was a necessity.

Turning the pages reveals the eclectic mix of characters from all walks of life and class, all expertly bought to life. I felt their anxiety, their doubts and their pain, I laughed with them and cried with them. Yes, this is a book for Downton Abbey fans, but it is so much more than that. This is quite simply a masterpiece and a must for anyone who enjoys a gripping, enthralling and perfectly balanced historical read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and intriguing - looking forward to more from Margaret Kaine, 6 Dec 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Paperback)
I love the cover of Dangerous Decisions, it is so beautiful and the description had me very interested from the moment I read it. I was soon swept up in the story and the character's lives.

I really liked Helena, and I warmed to her straight away. I liked that she is very intelligent and a strong woman, but at the same time I felt for her where she was aware of her father and the effect that a marriage will have on him. Like Helena I was wary of Oliver, he seemed like an ideal match for her but there was just something about him that put me on edge. Although I had misgivings about Oliver, I was absolutely fascinated by his character and trying to figure him out, and I was gripped to the story wanting to read on to find out what would happen with Helena and Oliver.

Nicholas...Oh Nicholas I really loved you! I actually felt the same sense of longing as Helena did for Nicholas, and it made my heart ache for them!

I thoroughly enjoyed the historical aspect of the novel. Margaret really focused on the attention to detail in this and she brought the scenes to life with her descriptions of the settings. Margaret's writing was so powerful that I could feel the difference between the upstairs and downstairs. I really enjoyed that both the upstairs and downstairs were included, it gave the book more layers and the contrast between their lives was interesting to read.

I was HOOKED to this story, I couldn't put it down...with a title like Dangerous Decisions I was expecting a bit of conflict but the tension quickly rose and nearer the end I was racing through the pages desperate to know how it would end. Margaret has cleverly weaved lots of different threads into such an intriguing and compelling story. I loved Dangerous Decisions and I'm very excited for Margaret's future releases!

5.0 out of 5 stars Master Story-Teller, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Kindle Edition)
Soon after starting Dangerous Decisions,I realised I was in the hands of a master story-teller, and could relax and enjoy the tale.
I trusted all historical details,totally believed in the characters and liked the clever way their stories were drawn together - upstairs,downstairs and in a lady-of-the-night's chamber. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Kindle Edition)
I think sometimes it must be difficult to create a heroine such as Helena. She's clearly loving and intelligent, but also dutiful, which allows her (all too convincingly) to agree to marry Oliver and so feel she's doing the right thing. However, she is also anything but a weakling, fortunately for this story. I really got swept along by the telling of it, and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good tale with an excellent historical background and a satisfactory ending. More, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're missing Downton Abbey . . ., 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded Dangerous Decisions just at the right moment. The last episode of Downton Abbey had played and I wanted to read something in a similar vein. This novel ticked all the right boxes. The manner in which the author described the difference between the lives of the characters upstairs/downstairs and the sad lives of the women who inhabit the demi monde was spot on. I felt an immediate rapport for the innocent Helena and, as her marriage approached, wanted to shout: DON'T DO IT. But, do it she did - and the consequences of that 'dangerous decision' reverberate throughout this well-written novel, making us turn the pages to know what happens next. I won't give the plot away, I'll just say that I was rooting for Cora (the tart with the heart of gold, detested the unfeeling Oliver Faraday and loved Doctor Carstairs. I switched off my kindle with a feeling of satisfaction, glad that Helen got the happy ending she deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 17 Nov 2013
N. J. Ringrose "LizR" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Kindle Edition)
In this novel Margaret Kaine has moved her wonderful storytelling from the Potteries and introduces us to life in Edwardian London. Helena is a lovely debutante setting out on the social scene. Oliver Faraday seems like the perfect husband but, like Helena, I had misgivings once he begins to court her. Margaret Kaine's fans will love this new departure. She captures the Upstairs and Downstairs worlds perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning read, vivid and compelling., 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Paperback)
Yet again Margaret Kaine's stunning story-telling whisked me away to another time and place, vividly creating the perfect backdrop for a story that gently winds itself around you until you're gripped, desperate to know what happens to the lives and loves of her characters who are so real you can hear them speak. I could feel Helena's growing sense of unease, mistrusted Oliver from the start (as the author intended) and felt Nicholas' longing too. I won't spoil the ending, but it was a lovely, satisfying read.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life of Wealth and Fear., 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Kindle Edition)
A lovely escape into wealth and servants but there's something wrong. A marrriage that disappoints from night one, a baby that disappoints one of the parents and a face that haunts the Bride. The story dips into a different low-life world and a prolonged nail-biting climax. Dangerous Decisions is a real page turner and Margaret kaine deserves her five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance and Intrigue, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Paperback)
After the first few pages I was completely engrossed. Its a beautifully written historical romance that had me reading almost non stop until the end.

Helena, Oliver and Nicholas create a great love triangle and really played on the old heart strings. But the scenary, and the depth on the description was well thought out and made it easy for my to imagine being there.

I really value books that can leave me feeling moved and Margaret Kaine is award winning author who is clearly very talented. I will definitely be reading more of her books.

Recommended if you love a good historical romance. Recommended if you've never tried one before.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was completely hooked, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Dangerous Decisions (Kindle Edition)
Wow. I'm not sure what I was expecting with this book, but the actual experience way exceeded my expectations. I was completely hooked from the start.

The characters were vivid. Oliver was initially unsettling, then really disturbing. Helena is likable and her motivations and feelings are always understandable. Nicholas is really likeable and a wonderful contrast to Oliver.

I normally don't like so many points of view, but in this book, it worked very well. I'd never read anything by Margaret Kaine before, but I will read more in the future!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›