Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

VINE VOICEon 1 July 2006
This charming 'Aga-saga' was the first Ann Purser I have read and was much more enjoyable than I expected.

Village life oozes from the every page - there are white christmases and fluffy kittens, rivers and farms. The characters are very believable from the 'village gossip' to the 'lady of the manor'. I never felt this book was a cliche or stereotypical as the characters are so real, each with their own problems and you can feel sympathetic to them all - even the more spiteful ones at times!

I read this as a break from crime and physcological thrillers. The prose flows easily and even though there are quite a lot of characters they are all so clearly pictured I felt like I new them personally. Good news too - if you like this there are more based on the same village and residents! Soap fiction!

I recommend Pastures New to anyone looking for an easy, enjoyable read. I will look forward to reading the next in the series.
on 10 August 2013
If you like Rebecca Shaw, then you will like Ann Purser's books. This is the first book of the series Round Ringford. It's well written. This book made me giggle but also cry. I have the rest of the series to read. Can't wait.
Pastures new written by Ann Purser was an OK read which was one I did enjoy though for me the story was quite slow. The story begins when the two main characters Frank and Peggy are facing a life changing experience when Frank has been made redundant after spending his career working for the same company. Peggy decides a change of scenery is the thing which will help Frank accept his new way and soon the couple are searching for a new home which will also provide an income and this is how we are introduced to the very colourful and even more varied inhabitants of Round Ringford.
This was quite a good book which edged slowly along as Peggy and Frank get to know their new neighbours and even their soon to be friends. I love reading about English village life and for me this book was rather slow but I have to say once the author introduced each of the characters and showed what their back story was I was soon involved with not only the many inhabitants of Round Ringford but also the many politics which seemed to appear at the most inconvenient times.
Pastures New written by Ann Purser was quite a good book and I will be reading the other books involved in the same series as I now want to know what becomes of those many villagers which showed me you just never know what happens behind closed doors and that solid face which a lot of people show to the public could be hiding a life of problems.
Pastures New is a good book which I would recommend to those who love their reading material nice and gentle just like their surroundings.
on 17 March 2014
When Frank is made redundant from his job of many years a complete change is needed so along with his wife Peggy a move to a little village is made to run the village shop.

This gentle book follows the trials and tribulations and shows that the idyllic life is often anything but not always helped by the locals who have their own ideas about how things should be done.

Although I enjoyed it I felt it lacked something to just complete it.

I was also disappointed that it didn't show that it was the first of a series when prchasing
on 18 November 2013
A pleasant read, not my usual genre, I prefer thrillers and crime novels. A well written story reflecting the highs and lows of life in a village. Rather an abrupt ending. Unfortunately the story was marred throughout by numerous spelling mistakes and by many wrong words substituted for the right ones, sometimes making it difficult to understand, with random numerals added in the middle of sentences. For example: 'I will put the nonce 1 shop window' and many others in a similar vein. Unfortunately for this reason I could only give it 3 stars. Sorry
on 1 March 2014
Spelling mistakes e.g barn - on at least two occasions was spelt bam. bangers, as in bangers and mash was spelt hangers. Some parts of the book were difficult to follow and sometimes thought I had missed a page, but I hadn't. I also felt the story had a very strange and sudden end. This was for me, a potentially good story spoilt.
on 5 December 2013
I started reading this book on my Kindle and after the first chapter I was getting very interested in it but it stopped there was only one chapter to read. It did not say the book was not complete when I ordered it so I am no happy at all. I know I would have enjoyed the story as it was gripping what I did managed to read.
on 2 March 2014
Dreadful typing errors made some of the story quite difficult to follow. The plot was thin to say the least and showed a lack of knowledge of countryside and seasons. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else to read,unless stuck in an airport or train station with nothing else to do.
on 20 November 2013
I downloaded this book with reservations, but I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed it. Only 4 stars because it could do with a bit of proof reading but don't let that put you off. If you like the 'Miss Read' books, you will like this.
on 5 June 2014
Pastures New and Tangled Web
I am waiting for the follow up coming onto kindle - i have the books but need them on my kindle now. I can read them over and over again and get so involved with the village. Brilliant