Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.99

on 13 October 2015
wasnt as good as I expected due to friends raving about it
on 18 December 2014
Difficult to understand in parts but got there in the end.
on 22 February 2014
This book opens one up to a new and brighter way of thinking. Whatever religion you may be, as a human you will relate to all that is contained in the words of this book. It has the ability to lift you up to a new level, particularly if you pay attention and use each insight for yourself as you read! You will be all the better for reading The Celestine Prophecy! Enjoy :) xx
on 20 July 2004
This book was recommended to me by a friend i met while working on a campsite in France. Reading the back cover I was unsure if this was 'my type of book', but i bought it all the same and loved it!
My advice is only buy this book if you can open your mind, the focus is not on the storyline but the ideas behind it.
0Comment7 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2014
Swiftly despatched and exactly as described. many thanks.
on 17 November 2015
Thought provoking insights to reality with action story.
on 13 December 1999
Everywhere you turn in this book, you'll find your way
on 21 September 2007
I think the writer intended this story to be a parable of current spirituality. All I can say is that the kind of attitude espoused here is a sure-fire way to lead to disaster and death to the individual (except that such an individual would survive as a parasite leeching off rational people), and a way back to the caves for the human race.
The characters in the book rely not on thinking, but on daydreaming for guidance. The main character goes off into a world of his own almost every time he has a conversation, and has vague visions, the meaning of which he is not sure about so that he needs someone else to point out what should be obvious to an 8 year old. I thought the main character acted as if he was either continually on illicit substances or suffering with absence seizures. And besides he was really slow on the uptake.
The spiritual message in this book is a complete mumbo-jumbo. To give you an example: in the end some of the "higher" persons become invisible to the "undeveloped" people.

What about taking the book as just a good old adventure story. Well, because the main characters in the book rely on their daydreams, or on others' intuitions, or on "significant coincidences" to make decisions; because the characters never have a clear, original thought of their own; because all the events unfold through external machinations (that is, implausible happy events completely independent from the main characters' actions); because of all these factors, the book does not make for a gripping read. I thought all the characters were extremely superficial and unbelievable. I could not develop sympathy or indeed any kind of feeling for the main character.

The only thing I can say for it is that I managed to read it to the end, which is not true for every book that I read and which is why I give it 2 stars instead of 1.

Finally, there is a passage in the book which I thought summed up the writer's intentions, and was the crux of the book: there is a discussion, towards the end, about what the world would be like, once the whole world has accepted this new spiritual way of being, and within this vision it is put forward that the really highly developed persons would be offering their "daydreams, intuitions, insights..." to the rest of the people for money!, so that the rest of the people could work (in my view: do the important stuff of living) happily in the knowledge that their spiritual needs were well looked after.

You decide which group of people you'd end up in....
0Comment8 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2000
I can see why the book is so popular in America (I shouldn't really generalise about Americans but it's so easy to do). It combines a conspiracy theory with a sugary, Disnified view of nature, with a hero who takes on the establishment like in the 70's TV shows such as "The A-Team" and "Dukes of Hazzard".
The blurb on the back of the book claims that "you have never read a book like this before," and when I started reading it I thought this was so. But by the time I was half way through, I realised (had an insight?) that actually it is straight forward science fiction. Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen classics in the same vein: the "Illuminatus" trilogy for the conspiracy theory, Julian May's novels, "2001: A Space Odyssey" and especially "Star Wars." I was half expecting the hero to turn into a Jedi Knight by the end of the book and sure enough, he practically did (although it only took him two weeks to get from "everyman" to a super human capable of becoming pure energy.)
Like many B-science fiction writers, Redfield has picked up science sound-bites and used them totally out of context. Usually I found this amusing (being able to "see" energy, for instance) but sometimes it was more worrying. In particular, the recurring theme of being one with Nature is damaging. Many people, from Prince Charles downwards, succumb to it, but it is fundamentally and absolutely wrong. Nature is not a harmonious balance that we have somehow "lost" as we have become more advanced. Nature is, has been and always will be a deadly conflict where the strongest survive and the rest don't. Competition between genes for a place on the chromosome, competition between generations, competition between the sexes, competition between species, competition within species for limited food. Everywhere you look in Nature, competition and conflict are the rule.
The only exception is humanity, which has evolved to the extent that we can shape our environment and override evolution. With it comes the responsibility to do so wisely. But however we shape it, we cannot go back to Nature and hope everything will work out. The vision of Utopia presented at the end of the story was the epitomy of naivety. Even if all greed, hunger, war, global warming, natural disaster, etc. could be abolished, it would only take one charismatic dictator to rise to power somewhere and we'd be back where we are now, or worse.
I finished the book wondering why so many people didn't see it for what it is: a second rate, derivative science fiction novel (no offense intended). I think it must be because they want it to be true. This escapism is sad, because to me it is unnecessary. The mysteries of pretend science are dwarfed by the mysteries of real science. There really is beauty in the patterns and structure of nature and science is the way to reveal it.
on 17 August 2006
This book was instantly eye opening! I don't think i could describe in words, how deep this book is. While reading this book i was constantly relating to my life currently, and events from past, which does seem to explain many things. I hope to write more as i finish the book, and reread it.