5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life
Published on 24 Nov. 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Sorry, this did nothing for me, I found the plot thin and the writing chunky.
Published 6 months ago by Angela

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 24 Nov. 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I first read this book about three years ago when I was sixteen. At that time I was depressed, ill and thought nothing could make that go away. I read this book in three days, i just couldn't put it down. I can only describe it as a ray of light that shattered that darkness and changed my life. I have read the other reviews posted here and resent those people who try to make those of us who enjoyed this book look naive. I am an English honours degree student at one of the top universities in the country and yes, I recognise the weaknesses in the books written style, but I feel we should overlook this. James Redfield is not trying to present us with a piece of great literature, he trying to give us something enlightening, something to make us think and give some hope for our future, something many of us desperately need. The Celestine Prophecy remains one of my favourite books, I remain grateful to James Redfield for writing it and mostly I would hope to unreservedly reccommend this book to everyone who feels there is something missing in their life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformative journey!, 9 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read "The Celestine Prophecy" a number of years ago and at the time this book was a unique experience for me, since I hadn't read a fiction novel that interspersed spiritual ideas into the plot.

Afterwards, I learned about a number of other authors who have written in a similar style such as Carlos Castaneda, Dan Millman and Paulo Coelho. Most recently, I came across a recent book "NEXUS: A Neo Novel" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh which combines spiritual wisdom with a compelling narrative.

Still James Redfield, the author of "The Celestine Prophecy," is my first love into this style of writing. Anyone with an open mind, would enjoy reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful stuff if you can get over the bad style, 4 Oct. 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
A lot of people have found this book irritating. Basically it gives you a series of principles about how humans relate to each other. The sources Redfield uses range from Eastern philosophy to modern psychology to quantum physics. It's actually a fairly authoritative and thorough book in terms of its subject-matter. The only problem is, it's written in a very new age, knit-your-own-yoghurt kind of a way, and is not really a well-constructed novel, so a lot of people find it hugely irritating. The style often obscures the message. If you're into spirituality, then try to see beyond the bad novel style, as it's written for 'beginners'. And if you're not into spirituality, then give the book a chance because, despite its wishy-washy style, there are some powerful ideas in it. Of course, according to the principles contained in the book, if you hate it then it's not really the right time for you to be reading it anyway...

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind altering substance that leaves a perminent imprint!!!, 9 July 2001
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
Do you feel discontented with your life? Do you always find that no matter what you do, it never seems like your on the right path. Well if you don`t then you`ve probably read this book. By reading this you will learn more about yourself and the way we interact with each other than you would have thought possible. You will also sound like a complete space cadet when you try to explain any of its contents to your friends but you will find yourself recomending it to everyone you ever meet. Another side effect from reading this: I found that I uncontrollably analys my conversations to make sure I`m not stealing peoples energy!? Read it and understand!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful & Engaging Journey, 13 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
"The Celestine Prophecy" has a unique vision with a simple and profound message. It presents a compelling vision. The vision makes us aware of how we use energy in our interactions, whether we are connected to a source within us or do we feel the need to take energy from others around us.

The books offers both insights and an engaging adventure. Also consider "Nexus" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh, which offers a special vision of our interconnectedness to one another through the journey of memorable characters at a spiritual retreat. It's also an inspiring and engaging journey of transformation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily "the answer" - but a good place to start !, 4 Jan. 2002
Peter Jones (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read this book because I kept bumping into people who would casually mention it and how good they thought it was.

I read a chapter a day on the train. By the time I got to "insight" four or five I was beginning to see past the "story" and becoming more and more intruiged by some of the underlying elements. They gave me a different way of looking at things in my life that I'd never quite managed to get my head round. All of a sudden I was hooked, and I'd become one of those people for who "the book has changed their life".

It's important to realise that actually there's nothing new here, and some of the insights are echoed in main stream psychology; NLP practioners will immediately see parrallels with "future programming".. but for me that's what makes the book so powerful. Although the story's fiction, it's concepts aren't.

Read it with an open mind. Don't expect it to rock your world, just take one insight a day for nine days. You'll feel a whole lot better...

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to read it again already..., 6 Mar. 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend and her brother. They both said it was a lifechanging book, and because we had been having long conversations about life they thought it was time for me to read it. Boy - was it the right time! When I first started it I was not sure if the story of a man going off to Peru to search for an ancient manuscript was going to be up my street. But it's much more than that. I haven't finished it yet but it's changing my life already. Things are falling into place and I am beginning to understand about things I only had a feeling about before. Energy; coincidences; it even tells you why you should eat fresh fruit and vegetables. It explains, gradually in chunks of insights, how we can find out our life purpose and understand why coincidences happen. 'We build our energy and center ourselves in situations, in the questions we have, then we receive some form of intuitive guidance, an idea of where to go or what to do, and then coincidences occur to allow us to move in that direction.' Yeah. As Ali G would say - "Respec"

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enlightening and positive read, 10 May 2000
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
Like most of its readers, this book was a recommendation. I ordered it from Amazon and took it on a weeks sun seeking holiday to Portugal. Although probably not the right place to read such a serious book, I found I couldn't put the thing down. Admittedly there are too many Americanisms, as suggested by another reader, but this doesn't stop it from becoming an addictive read. I have lent it to more people than any other book I own.
This book has made me put my life into perspective. I don't fret if I don't get the job I wanted, missed an urgent meeting, or lost out on concert tickets. These things are not meant to be. I wasn't supposed to be there. I have found taking this new attitude to life has made me less stressed, in most instances something better has come up.
I feel sure I can say that anyone who has read this novel will relate to something in it.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 30 July 2014
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
Sorry, this did nothing for me, I found the plot thin and the writing chunky.

2.0 out of 5 stars New age for the masses, 24 Sept. 2003
Iain Black - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I finally got round to ordering this book after spying it for about a year. Maybe the long wait increased my expectations but i just didn't see what the fuss was about.
This book consists of dull characters, spirituality to make you occasionaly cringe and no story to hold your attention. I dont want to write such a negative review but the idea that the main character just wanders around and says nothing witty or funny (he is like dead wood down a river) whilst helping begin a new age of spirituality is quite dire. I can appreciate that the story is just a way of getting to the core message, the insights(which are not insights at all, just the authors beliefs on where he thinks humans are headed), but the story is beyond boring, think hollywood stuff here. Getting shot at, witnesses going missing, government suppression blah blah blah.
The insights themselves will at least be interesting you say, sadly, not really. Anyone who has more than 2 books on spirituality will know most of this. Not to give much away but one of the first insights is on how humans will learn to see the 'aura'. It continues in the same vein on how people will awaken spiritually in the beginning of this century. Seems a bit like Buddha meets Terence McKenna without any mention of either. At least the author could have pulled in a couple of references as to evidence corrobarating with the insights. Not to be, apparently people have never heard of 'auras', or that the mayan calendar stops around 2012 (bit from book about spiritual awakenment at beginning of century anybody?). The whole beef i have with this book is that the story floats in it's own existence, there is no grounding when you know the author must at least have some reason to believe in what he is saying.
I am being pretty hard on this book, just because it such a tired story which dosen't bother to reinforce the reader with the feeling that this 'actually' may happen. I never found myself saying 'gee, what if this is true'. No such realization i'm afraid. This book will not change you like 'Zen and the art of motorycle maintenance' (or Lila which i thought better!).
So the book on the whole is simplistic and short on detail. If you have never heard of this stuff before, sure, give it a try but i think it is just the authors collection of most-wanted religious beliefs.

The Celestine Prophecy