4.0 out of 5 stars One month with my Nexus 5 (and comparison to an S4)
Had one of these for a month now so thought I'd write a review on the good/bad points and compare it to my wife's Galaxy S4.

Good Points:

Published 9 months ago by Tablet_Surfer

3.0 out of 5 stars At this price it's OK but I got unlucky with my GPS
The goods about this phone are the price, the sleek appearance and the bloat-free snappy OS.

Unfortunately, in my experience:
- The GPS is so unreliable it's appalling - dropping out all of the time
- The battery life is the worst of any phone I have owned in the last 10 years
Published 2 months ago by Mr Reuben A Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars One month with my Nexus 5 (and comparison to an S4), 24 Feb 2014

Good Points:

Phone Design and Feel - it's very simple with a nice matt rubberised back and feels great to hold. Saying that I have put a Ringke Slim case on it which has the same finish just to give it some protection. For me much nicer than the S4 which is very plastic feeling.

Screen - this is just about perfect for me. It's very sharp and crucially not too bright even on the highest brightness setting. To me better than the S4 although both are very nice but the Nexus 5 screen colours feel more natural to me.

Performance - phones are so powerfull these days that everything is really smooth and fast. As the Nexus has stock Android it just whizzes through everything. To be fair my wifes S4 does the same. Nothing more to say on this really.

Stock Kitkit as standard - this is a big plus in my opinion. It's amazing how quickly I got used to it and going back to the S4 with it's older version is really frustrating now. I find Kitkat simpler to use and understand. Not having masses of pre-installed bloatware is good too.

Value - I got mine on contract which was £10 a month cheaper than an S4 on the same tariff. Fantastic value.

Okay Points:

Camera - I don't use it much but it's definitely not as good as the S4. Perfectly adequate for occasional use though.

No SD card expansion - again for me not an issue but a nice to have.

Reception - not great sometimes. It seems to drop to no bars and won't come back without a restart. It's a known bug so hoping it will be sorted out with an update.

Bad points:

Google hangouts - this is the standard delivered app for texting/messaging and I hate it! Tried for a week but sorry it just doesn't make sense to me - I'm not someone who wants to integrate everything into one place. Dumped it and use a third-party SMS app now which is much better.

That's about it except to say no problems with battery like some other reviewers - lasts a couple of days unless I hammer it with games/videos.

To sum up a very good phone - not perfect - but for me as good as I need and certainly the equal of an S4 for a lot less cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly thin, light and fast. Is it better than an iPhone?, 28 Mar 2014
John Ryan "One man and his Kat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
The Google Nexus 5 is the latest, fastest Android phone from Google (built by LG). Incredibly fast, light and thin - but is it as good as the iPhone 5s costing more than double the price? Read on to find out.....

Firstly, a word of warning. This is a lengthy, thorough and in depth review to compare the two phones - not just trash one or the other. I personally have an iPhone 4S, iPad Air, an Apple TV and several Macs. However, I also have an open mind and limited budget.

Display
----------
The Nexus has a stunning 5 inch HD screen with more pixels on a larger screen, and they're more densely packed. For the techies among us, the Nexus is 1080x1920 pixels and 445 pixels per inch (ppi). This clearly beats the iPhone's 4 inch retina screen at 1136x640 pixels at 336ppi.

But what does this really mean? It means you get a bigger, better quality screen than an iPhone 5s (which as a fan of Apple, really surprises me). What it means, is photos and videos just look absolutely stunning, and web pages razor sharp.

In short, screen quality on the Nexus is absolutely brilliant, with pure whites and super-sharp text on a larger screen. A clear winner for the Nexus.

Speed
---------
Both Nexus and iPhones are blistering fast. Web pages display instantly, scrolling a breeze, and you can rapidly jump between apps. So not a lot in it. This is an incredibly fast device for the money.

It's also worth noting both Nexus and iPhone support the super-fast 4G network as well as existing 3G. You may pay more for a 4G contract (although not from Tesco Mobile or Three), but if you want to get the best out of your phone it's a consideration.

Look, Feel and Build Quality
-------------------------------------
Lets be honest here. The iPhone wins hands down on the top quality, hard edged aluminium industrial design from Sir Jonny Ive. It's lighter, smaller and thinner than the Nexus, and if you have smaller hands (but deeper pockets), it's a beautiful device. A top end BMW 5i compared to a Ford, Peugeot or VW Golf.

The Nexus is physically larger with rounded off corners, a lightly curved rubberised back, and tough "Gorilla Glass 3" screen. Quietly understated, although the Nexus 5 is (on paper) very slightly heavier, (see specs below), it also "feels" lighter - incredibly light in the hand given the relatively huge screen size.

I have to admit, the Nexus does sit nicely in the hand, feels light, and the screen is just massive - but if you're looking for top quality Android - you need to pay around double the price, and buy the HTC One (M8), but on build quality - the iPhone wins.

Camera
-----------
Considering both have an 8 mega-pixel camera with optical image stabilisation (ie. the camera tries to compensate for shaky hands), the iPhone wins by a fair margin. Automatic zoom on the Nexus is a bit hit-and-miss. I often find you need to use the "tap to focus" feature, and annoyingly even this doesn't work perfectly sometimes, especially in low-light conditions where the iPhone wins.

Having said that, in normal outdoor situations, it's great for quick snaps, and you can always use a "proper camera" if you're really serious about photography.

Battery Life
---------------
Always difficult to tell without a head-to-head test, and even then I think it depends upon how you use the phone. Typically video over WIFI burns the battery and a review (search for "V3 iPhone Nexus compare" to see) has helpfully done much of the work for us.

Nexus ran 7.5 hours compared to iPhone 5S at 7. So (despite other Amazon reviewer gripes), it's pretty much comparable.

Having said that, today I've blitzed the phone today. Downloading Apps, searching on Google, navigating and watching videos of-and-on for the past 11 hours, and it still has 18% battery left.

I'll update this review after a few months real world experience.

Storage
----------
Nexus comes with 16 or 32Gb of storage compared to iPhone's 16, 32 or 64Gb, and neither have expandable storage. Having said that, I've lived happily with a 16Gb iPhone for nearly five years without issue, but it depends upon how you use it.

Price
-------
For once it's absolutely black and white. Prices come in (Amazon or Apple Store online in March 2014) at:

Nexus £269 or £374
iPhone £549 or £629

For a 16g or 32g device. That's a saving of £280 on a 16g phone!

To be fair, you could opt for iPhone 5C at £469 but you'll still be paying nearly double the price. Personally I'd avoid the rather limited sized 8Gb iPhone 5C - space is too limited.

How about a contract?
------------------------------
Well you could get this phone on contract for just £29 a month (1Gb data and 600 phone mins), over two years with £49 on Three - which seems a good deal - but is it?

In summary, if you can afford the £269 up front cost, you save a whopping £238 over two years. Almost enough cash to buy an entirely new Nexus phone for free.

In detail: £49 up front + (£29 a month x 24 months) = you pay £745 (Over 2 years)

Or buy this for £269 and sign up for a SIM only Three contract (1Gb data and 600 phone mins) for 12 months costs £9.90 a month:-

Well, with £269 up front + (£9.90 a month x 24 months) = you pay £507 (Over 2 years).

In addition, as the contract is only 12 months, you can sell the handset of eBay after 12 months, and buy the latest handset!

Does a contract phone seem a good deal now?

How about Apps?
-----------------
Firstly, an App, is a small "application" (a program) that runs on your phone or tablet, and there's thousands available from both the Apple and Android stores. Be aware they're "Apples and Pears" - an Apple App will only run on an iDevice (iPhone, iPad etc), and you'll need an Android App for this phone.

Many apps cost $1 - or 69p in real money, and there's thousands free (frequently advertising funded with an ad-free version for 69p). Here's my favourites:-

* Mailbox. Incredibly slick mail box app (gmail only - sorry). (Free)
* Go SMS pro. (Go Chat on Apple) Send and receive text messages. (Free)
* QuickOffice. Edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents. (Free)
* tv24.co.uk. TV Listings. See what you're missing on TV (Free)
* TVCatchup. Watch real time TV (the Freeview stations anyway). (Free)
* BBC iPlayer. Great way to catch up on BBC TV. (Free).
* Netflix. For £5 a month watch a huge collection of films online. (Free)
* Evernote. Write and organise notes. Edit them on your Nexus, iPhone, iPad, PC or Mac (Free)
* DropBox. Access your files, documents and photos anywhere. (Free)
* Tune In Radio. Listen to 1,000s of radio stations world-wide (£2.40)
* Spotify. Stream music for £5 a month (or free with ads). Brilliant! (Free)
* eBay. Buy and sell your stuff while you're out and about. (Free)
* Rightmove. Search for your next Flat or House or just gape at the prices (Free)
* Zite. Online web magazine that learns what you like. Terrific! (Free)
* Movies by Flixter. Read reviews of films on cinema and DVD. (Free)
* Kindle. Read your books from Amazon Kindle bookstore. (Free)
* 1Password (reader). Read only access to passwords. (Free)

Note: All of the above without exception are available on Apple and Android, and some (Evernote, Spotify, DropBox and Box) also run on PCs and Macs.
So to my mind - it's a draw. OK, so it's common knowledge that many new apps (typically games) are first launched on the iPhone first, but the market for Android Apps has matured, finally catching up with Apple.

Admittedly, I do find iPhone versions of Apps tend to be slightly better versions, as they seem to be launched on Apple first, and Android second, but the difference is not crippling.

Viruses - Apple Vs Android
------------------------------

Unlike Apple who stop you buying Apps from anywhere else, on Android you CAN buy Apps from the equivalent of a "dodgy bloke in the pub" - or indeed reputable companies like Amazon. It's up to you really.

On Android, if you try to install an app off the internet you get the message "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the Android Market". You can unset this on "Settings --> Applications --> Unknown sources.
In short, if you get a free copy of an App by mail or a web site and you ignore the warnings and install it - you risk getting a virus. It's your call.

Operating System
---------------------

The Nexus runs Android whereas Apple run iOS. Personally I think much is down to taste and what you're used to.

Worth noting however, is the Nexus is one of the few Android phones which aren't loaded with additional "bloatware" rubbish. Samsung for example, load their phones with a confusing (and unnecessary) "Touch Wiz" interface to differentiate their offering. Personally I'd always stick to a Google Android device. As well as avoiding the useless bells and whistles, you get upgrades direct from Google. Other phones often take months to provide upgrades (sometimes never). Worth knowing, if you're considering another Android phone.

The statistics
-------------

In common with Apple, I've tried to avoid quoting "the numbers" except to illustrate a difference as pure stats can often misleading. But for those who like to compare:-

GOOGLE NEXUS 5

OS: Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)
CPU: Quad core 2.27Ghz Snapdragon 800

Size: 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm
Weight: 112g

Overall Conclusion
--------------------
Well, I guess in conclusion I bought a Nexus not an iPhone, and that says it all.

On balance, the Nexus 5 is:-

* Blisteringly fast
* Has a beautifully clear, large display (without being silly)
* Runs an excellent version of Android (direct from Google so bang-up-to-date and without bloatware)
* Runs all the Apps I already run on my iPhone
* Is £280 cheaper!

Lets be honest, if I had cash to burn, I'd love an iPhone 5s (or even better a 6). I think the iPhone is a beautiful example of industrial design with top end build quality. Add to that the superb integration with the iPad, Mac and Apple TV, not to mention the security of the touch ID fingerprint scanner, and I can understand why they charge more.

If you really can't stand Apple (or think the iPhone screen size is too small. but have the money, I'd also consider the HTC One (H5). Apple quality build on Android.

However, at this price, it's a steal. Absolutely astonishing value for money, and highly recommended. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant phone, price is unbelievable., 27 Nov 2013
Mr. J. S. Budd (England, Bristol) - See all my reviews
This phone, in my opinion, is the best phone i've ever owned.

I work for a college, and have dealt with iphones, andriod, blackberry and windows phones, my previous phone was a HTC one x.

The phone is very fast, i've not had a moment when i've thought it's not worked at lightning speed. The andriod 4.4 kit kat that comes with it is also brilliant, very smooth, fast and fluent, plus uses less RAM and is less resource heavy, which of course is a plus.

the styling of the phone looks superb, it's great to hold and just the right size for me to use with one hand, but also to be happy to use with two hands.

Before I got the phone I read some reviews about battery life, the battery *could* be improved, but it's more than enough to last a whole day and be charged overnight. I've used the phone from 8 in the morning until 11 pm, with the battery dropping down to 40%. During that day, i used the phone as a satnav (for 15 minutes), done some texting, browsed the internet and send a few picture messages - standard everyday use.

For the price you pay, this phone is an unbelievably good deal. I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Generally outstanding, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
I've owned Android phones by HTC, Sony and even dabbled with a Samsung imitation Star product briefly before finally accepting that if you want something that's half decent you need to run with something like the Nexus 5 - in the sense that you have Google's financial firepower and innovation to produce an amazing phone for half the price you'd pay for an Apple iPhone 5.

With regard to style and ergonomics - prior to purchasing it, from looking at the images online I thought the styling was a little bland and average, but I was attracted by the performance that the early reviews spoke of. Now I've bought it I think that its is very well crafted. It is the right size between a large screen but not too big in the pocket, helped by the fact that the bevel around the screen is very slim. It feels very solid and well-made. I didn't want to spend a fortune on the official cases that Google sell for this - I would recommend the Orzly® - Multi-Function Wallet Case for LG NEXUS 5 - BLACK Leather Effect Wallet Style Phone Case with Intergrated Stand and Built-In Auto Sleep / Wake Sensor Functionality designed exclusively for the GOOGLE NEXUS 5 SmartPhone ( 2013 Model ) - it looks fine and for £6 it is sensibly priced and will protect your new gadget better than one of the slimmer cases.

Performance-wise, it is quick, so much faster than any of the Android phones I've owned before as you'd expect given the absence of bloatware. This product seems to exude quality, and I'm really impressed after owning it for a few weeks. The only letdown is the inability to insert a micro SD card, so its worth thinking about buying the 32GB version.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great, get one you won't be disappointed :-), 25 April 2014
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
Clear screen, fantastic performance and let’s not forget the bottom line - half the price of the flagship HTC/Samsung/Apple phone!

£269/24 months = £11.21 per month, sim only from Tesco (1 month contract, 500Mb/500 minutes/5000 texts) £10.00 per month, so a total of £21.21 a month, compare that to a regular 24 month contract for a top end phone, bet you cannot match that price.

When researching getting a new phone the negative points that come up again and again for the Nexus 5 are:

Speaker - ok its adequate not brilliant but remember it’s a phone not a boom box.

Camera - seems really good to me, if you want to be a professional photographer buy yourself a regular camera, for a normal person the camera is great.

Battery – my previous phone was a HTC Sensation XE with an aftermarket upgraded battery (Anker), the Nexus being used the same over the last 2 weeks is lasting longer, even though it has a bigger screen and faster processor, lasts an average day for me with around 40% left, its better than I expected and gets a thumbs up from me.

Storage – this is the only negative point I really agree with, the lack on memory card slot is a disadvantage but if you think you can survive with 16Gb (I have 10.5Gb left to play with after installing all of my favourite apps) don’t be put off.

Summary

It's great, get one you won't be disappointed :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone i have ever had., 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
so good i got my hardcore apple fanboy family to switch over to android.

only downside is the battery, i can make it work through an entire day but only with 15 percent left.
also the space, 16 gb is enough for me but i would have liked an sd slot.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars because of little niggles but a great phone, 9 Dec 2013
Teefer Tiger "TeeferTiger" (Conwy County, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
Android KitKat is fast,smooth and a pleasure to use. There is everything you've come to enjoy about android phones here. I have had no issue with the battery draining,even with WiFi and data on and listening to music whilst using location settings on walks. It's used a lot of charge,don't get me wrong, but there's still plenty to be getting on with.

The keyboard and screen are very responsive,I can even type reviews like this very easily and with little frustration compared to other devices I've tried.

Of course,there is no flash player since adobe stopped supporting android,but this can be worked around by downloading free apps from the play store such a Puffin browser.

It takes a micro sim card so make sure you've got one before trying to set your phone up.

The only things that have annoyed me with this are the text messages being dealt with by Google hangouts and being unable to customise ringtones. I downloaded a free app for messaging and doubletwist app so I could choose my own ringtone a message notifications.

I actually bought the 32gb sim free version from the play store for £339...

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant in 2015 - value for money, 6 Dec 2014
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
I would say this phone is relevant even today after so many mega phones like Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S5, Moto X etc competing for the pole position.

I feel this is the best phone in terms of value for money and anything that is boasted in the new Android models is a bloat marketing gimmick. Mostly you can get for less than half the retail price now as the Nexus 6 is announced. The current rollouts of Android to the likes of KitKat (4.4.4) and Lollipop (5.0) are extremely stable with world class apps, which means we don't need Samsung, HTC or LG bloatware on top of the stock Android to infact make the phone slower. The stock apps like Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Keep, Google Maps are world class and much better than the ones provided by the vendors such as Samsung, LG or HTC. I have been using the pure Android KitKat since its release and I am quite happy with it given that I use Apple products too.

Now why this phone is value for money:

1. Latest android - Lollipop is available for this phone straightaway. So no compromise on the software
2. Form Factor - I personally feel any phone that is more than 5" is not user friendly. You wouldn't be able to reach the corners of the top edges with a 6" nexus 6. Also, they won't fit in to your pockets or feel bulky in terms of the size!
3. Display - Nexus 5 supports 1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.95 inches (~445 ppi pixel density) whereas Nexus 6 supports 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.96 inches (~493 ppi pixel density). For naked eye this has no perceivable difference. Unless you are going to project it on a 40" screen.
4. RAM: This has 2GB RAM and Nexus 6 has 3GB RAM. Again unless you are going to doing some high intensity car racing game, it is not going to make any difference at all.

Overall for less half the price of Nexus 6, this stands at a much more value for money than any other latest Android phone in the market. Especially given that you are guaranteed to receive the latest update of Android - not the case with the non nexus phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot fault this phone, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
After searching for a couple of weeks for a replacement for my htc one x, I decided to get the black Nexus 5 and I am not disappointed at all with my decision. I read lots of reviews on the Nexus 5 and the one thing which stood out on those reviews were the poor battery life and poor camera. I can say from my experience the battery is average for a smart phone, but considering all of the extra features that come with android 4.4 I'd say this is good. I have the brightness on the screen set to about 20-25% as this is more than bright enough for me. I have wifi and gps turned on all the time and the battery lasts me a whole day, which is all I need as it gets charged overnight on my wireless charger.

The phone fits nicely in my hand and feels secure, the finish on the case is a smooth matte finish. It is not so smooth though that I find it slipping out of my grip. The power and volume buttons are located in good positions for use and they function well.

The phone was really easy to set up, there are instructions in the box explaining how to insert the micro sim card. When you power the phone on for the first time it runs through a setup where you connect to WiFi, add a google account, then it takes you through some of the features. The first thing I noticed after using the phone was how good the display was and also how fast/responsive it was. I would recommend enabling the ART caching over Delvik, which is a new feature enabled in the developer settings for android 4.4. This makes a massive difference on apps startup time and switching between apps.

After trying out the camera I can say it is a lot better than my camera which I had on my HTC one x. It is fast and has a good range of settings to optimize your pictures depending on lighting and location. I found the camera to produce great pictures, I cannot compare it to phones like the iPhone 5S and galaxy S4 so maybe compared to these phones it is not as good. Video quality is also good, you have the option to take pictures when shooting a video by pressing the screen. This feature works really well, as soon as the screen is pressed the picture is saved.

So far the only niggle I have with this phone is the front facing camera is not great, this isn't much of an issue for me as I will rarely use this camera. For someone who uses the front camera a lot though this might prove to be an issue.

All in all I can say I am more than pleased with my new phone. I bought it expecting substandard battery life and camera, but I am pleasantly surprised with both the battery life and camera. I would recommend this phone to anybody looking to upgrade their phone or to anybody looking for a high end android phone. It is one of the easiest android phones to use that I have come across with no 3rd part bloatware installed. For £300 you won't get any better than this and it easily matches the phones priced at £400-£500 in all aspects apart from maybe the camera.

Summary:

Pros

- Fast
- Responsive
- Voice control
- Nice loud crisp sound
- Design
- Price

Cons

- Front camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Moved from the iPhone 5, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
I had been using an iPhone 5 for over a year before I moved to the Nexus device. There was nothing wrong with my apple device, I just wanted a change and knew I could still get some value for my iPhone if I sold it now.

I have been looking to try Android for a while and had played about with friends Samsungs etc. After seeing all the bloatware Samsung insists on adding to their devices, I really wanted a stock Android experience. I'm so glad I did. I don't miss anything from the iPhone. I'm not one of these fanboys, iPhone or Android. I can see benefits in both platforms and am just soaking up the Google kool-aid at the moment.

Battery is as good, the Google Play store is as good. One thing I would say - the camera is not quite as good in low light and the speaker feels a bit tinny, Over all, very happy!

LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB)