5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book
Published 4 months ago by Monica

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected
This book gives a good description of Binge Eating Disorder. However I was expecting a bit more self-help in it. Most of the content is description and how to get the most out of your physicians and psychologists - this is an American book.
Published 3 months ago by jukes

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Overcoming Binge Eating For Dummies (For Dummies (Health & Fitness)) (Kindle Edition)
My experience is in the UK dealing with BED alone and this book did not realy give me anything new as I have read quite a few genuine self-help books on the subject..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 18 Dec 2013
I've known for some time that I had an issue with food/ eating and already have a few books I the subject. What I loved about this book is that unlike most others on the subject it uses a bit of humour whereas other books can be quite dry. Although this humour may not suit all, I found it really helpful as it reminds you that as bad as BED is, there is hope and it's not a death sentence, recovery is possible.

I felt really empowered whilst reading the book and the suggestions for working on your recovery are relatively easy to implement and based on good solid evidence. Things such as learning new coping tactics, using group support and looking at good nutrition are all explored in a fair amount of detail.

Throughout the book you are regularly reminded that recovery is a process and one that will take time and a fair amount of effort. You are reminded that you may stumble, but encouraged to see this as a learning opportunity there is even an inventory provided for you to use to suss out what may have gone wrong and what may need adjusting in your recovery plan. I feel that this is important as I for one was always looking for the miracle instant cure and this belief only set me up for rounds of bingeing then dieting then bingeing again, leading only to more misery.

You are encouraged to look at all aspects of your life and also your family history, this for me was quite the eye opener and really added to my desire to beat this as I really don't want this disorder to be passed onto another generation. Having lived under the grey cloud of BED since my teens I just wouldn't want anyone close to me to experience it; the shame, the isolation and the general self loathing that results from this disorder are not traits I'd like my children to see in me.

If you are thinking of buying this book and are perhaps put off my the "for dummies" title I'd really say give it a go as there is a wealth of information here that you'll find helpful if you yourself have BED or someone close to you has it. It's really is a great place to start on your journey to recovery, it's still early days for me but I feel that what I've learnt from this book will really help me along the way.

ARRAY(0xb33724b0)