5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:38 Mins
Shortly after installation:
I purchased this during the free installation offer. The company that came out, Nationwide Heating Services, did an excellent job explaining where it should go and how to use it.

There are 2 parts to the Nest, the actual control unit and a small box. This box sits between the Nest and the boiler. In...
Published 9 months ago by Reviewify.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but let down lack of optimisation!
The Nest thermostat has some great features, such as learning your heating schedule and sensing when you're away from home. It also provides a means to turn on the heating remotely from a smart phone, which is a handy feature for people working irregular hours.
I'm a heating engineer and decided to install one in my own home, to evaluate it, prior to making...
Published 1 month ago by mark62

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product that will deliver energy savings over time., 24 May 2014
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
First off, ignore the low review scores, they are mostly from people that bought that without investigating the product and their heating/hot water system fully. This is a learning thermostat for COMBI boilers, if you have a timer and hot water storage, this isn't going to work for you. If you have a combi boiler with separate circuits for heating and hot water, where the hot water is on-demand (when you turn the taps on), and the heating is controlled by a timer, or a room thermostat, then this should work for you. If in doubt, consult a qualified installer. I did the install myself, to an aging Worcester Bosch 35CDI-II RSF it's not hard if you are handy with stuff like that, and careful and confident when mains electricity, and have a basic understanding of how "call for heat" boiler wiring works. (it's basically a switched live). However unless you know what you are doing, installation is advisable. Nest offer this for a very reasonable price.

The product itself isn't cheap, but as soon as you unbox it, it oozes quality. It's hard to get excited about a room thermostat, but this does have a luxurious feel, and looks really smart on the optional base - much better than my 1980's looking Worcester wireless room thermostat, which is now confined to the bin.

The unit itself measures room temperature, humidity, knows how long your house will take to get up to temp, and from it's internet connection (which it needs) what the outside weather and temperature is (from online weather forecasts), what your usage patterns are, when you are around (there is a proximity sensor). Another nice touch is ability to lock the thermostat with a PIN code to stop little hands adjusting things. It can even be locked and unlocked remotely, infact pretty much anything that can be set on the device locally can also be done remotely.

With all this data, it can build a plan of when to heat and when to not heat the house. It's all very clever stuff, but all that complexity is hidden away, the unit itself is very easy to use, wind the dial clockwise to turn the temp up, anti-clockwise to turn it down. It glows orange when heating your house.

There are features like auto-away, so if you are on holiday, it knows and adjusts the temp accordingly. In addition to all this, there are smartphone apps (iOS and Android), we web interface to control the heating and get reports on energy savings.

It all sounds very space age and complicated, but its not at all, it's all done in a very intuitive way. For something that's close to two hundred pounds for something as trivial as a room thermometer to get a 5 star rating from me, I must be impressed, and I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and intelligent- an excellent combination, 7 May 2014
Mr. N. H. G. Stronge "Nigelhg" (Killyleagh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
I bought one of these on launch day direct from Nest with the free installation offer. Within 2 weeks the appointment was fulfilled as planned thermostat was installed (by W G Hodgen in my area) and working.
The installer was very knowledgeable and advised me not to set my own schedule just to set the temperature as required and tell the thermostat when you are home or away for the first 2 weeks and after that it learns your schedule itself. I have to say I'm really very impressed - one thing I've noticed is that the temperature is much more even than before- I set it to warm the house to 22 and sometimes 23 degrees when I'm home and to 16 at night- these temperatures work for me but as the installer advised just adjust temperature at the start until you are comfortable and then leave it alone.
It has now worked out my schedule (I work 6 days and 2 late nights) and shows auto away shortly after I leave the house. It also turns the heating off before the desired temperature is reached (there is a setting for this feature) and knows that the residual heat in the radiators will be enough hit the temperature without the heating continuing.

As others have said it does not heat or control hot water - the system is installed alongside your existing heating controls. This isn't really a problem or shortfall as my existing timer controls this but one benefit I've noticed is that I have much more hot water than before- presumably because I'm not running my boiler for heat and water at the same times in the mornings - so much so that I may reduce the amount of time that I've set my timer to heat the water for.

The app (which is brilliantly straightforward) shows your energy usage so you can see how the weather (it's linked to your local weather forecast) and other factors affect your usage.

Overall I cannot rate it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better., 10 Dec. 2014
J. Gillespie "JoeG" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
Professionally installed and works as promised but I don't see any great savings in my heating bill so far. Would be better if the large display showed the ambient temperature instead of the set temperature so that I had more control and if the software showed a graph of the actual temperature instead of just the set heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic User Interface, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
Its a programmable thermostat that controls your heating. It just happens to to this way better than any other device I have used to do that before and something that people notice and comment on positively.

I had a programmable thermostat before but the interface was very poor. Everything about this is on higher level. Really simple - I have not looked at any documentation as everything is really obvious, very flexible, works well, supports mobile devices, looks good and even feels like a quality product and not a piece of plastic. For example turn the device to increase / decrease the temperature verses press a number of small buttons.

The simplest way to consider this is remember all those early MP3 players that where not intuitive to use, iPod came along and although did the same general job it dominated the market. This to me is exactly the same and not surprising if you know the history of the company.

Can you get the same general functionality for much less cash - yes but with a poor interface. I am a very happy customer. Its not by accident that google paid $3.2bn to buy this company, so although £170 is not cheep I believe its excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
Despite the mixed reviews on Amazon, I think the Nest is fantastic. Yes I have a combi boiler, so it just controls the heating (which is all it should do).
The interface is fantastic - the same view on the web, a tablet, or a smartphone - all very intuitive and clever. The Heat Link unit (the bit that talks to the boiler) installed within 20 mins - just give it 240v and the switch wires to the boiler. Plus this package only has two components, the Nest Thermostat (which has WiFi built-in) and the Heat Link - not three like a popular device marketed by a big energy company.
Oh, and it has an occupancy sensor so it knows when you're home, a humidistat to switch on the heating to prevent the house feeling damp and can have an infinite number of timing schedules created. Excellent piece of kit, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit-from an installer of many!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
I am a heating engineer and have been installing these devices since the first day they were available. As a company we are installing about 15 a day and me personally I have installed about 50. I have yet to come to a system where it can not be installed. I have scanned through these so called reviews by people that have no clue what they are talking about. This is the best out of all the current wifi learning thermostats available. Very slick and a very competitive price. As for the stand it isn't the cheapest but when you receive it you will see why. Very good solid quality. If it can't be installed in your house the chance is the installer doesn't know what he/she is doing!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, useful and money saving., 15 Jan. 2015
A. J. Lyne (Southern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
Easy to install with basic heating electrics knowledge or you can pay for professional installation which only takes about an hour. I have had this operating for about a month now and it has learnt how quickly our house heats up in a variety of weather conditions, senses when we are away and when we are home and sets up an auto schedule based on the user's behaviour over several weeks. I can access this over the internet, from my phone and iPad and even my watch! I can see my energy usage over the previous 4 weeks and we have been adapting our use of our heating as a result to save money. Truly a useful gadget. I am also investing in the NEST smoke detectors which talk to the thermostat when they sense that you are still in the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very elegant and simple design, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
The initial free installation offer seemed a bit swamped (never heard back from them), so I installed it myself.

Really easy to set up, paired with no trouble, and it somehow automatically linked itself up to my Nest account without me having to enter my account details. Very nifty.

Beautiful design, lovely interface, neat iPhone app. Huge improvement on my old setup. Love all the stats about humidity/temp, linking to weather forecast, calculations about the speed of room heating etc. I've set it up on a stand initially, which is also beautifully designed and manufactured. Very satisfied so far...

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Heating Cool !, 18 April 2014
S. Gardiner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
Had mine fitted yesterday so thought i'd better write a review (even though i didn't purchase through Amazon).

I was a little bit worried before recieving mine due to all of the negative reviews that i kept reading. If you look at them though all of the negativity appears to be from people who haven't properly read up about the product prior to ordering. Nest recommend that you have a professional installation, so if you do it yourself and then bodge it up then you really shouldn't be complaining. The product won't control your hot water which is ok for me as i have a combi.

The engineer who fitted mine was a top bloke, really knowledgable and the installation took around an hour. It is now in its learning phase. If you like your gadgets then you'll love the nest, its a really tactile, beautiful piece, you just can't help touching it on the way past, i never had this kind of intimate relationship with my old Honeywell :0

The online stuff seems to work great, i have had a couple of occassions when it has reported as being offline but that seems to have cured itself so i'm not going to stress about it.

All in all great and loving it so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation was easy and took about 20 minutes, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Nest Learning Thermostat (DIY & Tools)
Received the Nest thermostat today, first impressions are that this is a quality manufactured piece of tech. I have only just received it so the thermostat is in its learning phase. Installation was easy and took about 20 minutes. Setup of both wifi and connection to the heatlink were faultless and virtually instant. I am using this with a Potterton Promax HE condensing combi boiler which just uses the low voltage option. I connected common to connection 2 and Call for heat to connection 3. Everything works correctly first time. Will update this review when the thermostat has finished learning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›