4.5 out of 5 stars1,259
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 12 November 2013
This is a wonderful film the characters but totally believable and fantastically normal. The songs are uplifting and catchy, my daughter at 9yrs is totally addicted to listening to the sound track. I can not recommend it enough and to all who are bored with the constant stream of American blaaaa give this a try. I guarantee you'll be smiling by the end of it.
Ps Edinburgh looks great too
99 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2013
What a great way to spend an evening!
This film certainly has the feelgood factor. Great music, believable characters & storyline- it's got them all.
Certain to leave a smile on your face & you will find yourself singing the songs for days afterwards.
Think this will be one that I watch time & time again & I will be buying a copy as soon as the dvd is available.
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2013
"Sunshine on Leith" is a pleasant ,sunny musical film based around the songs of The Proclaimers and set in the band's home town of Edinburgh.The film is all about the joys,trials and tribulations of romantic love and it possesses an attractive type of innocent charm about it that I liked. The soundtrack is excellent also and I didn't realise the depth of quality of The Proclaimers songs. I only really knew their big hits like "Letter to America", "I'm On My Way" and "I'm Gonna Be" and I was pleasantly surprised to hear more of their repertoire of upbeat, catchy songs. The songs are integrated smoothly into the interesting storyline of the film which features on-off youthful love affairs and the marital difficulties of an older couple. "Sunshine on Leith" is an upbeat,happy film and it is a refreshing antidote to some of the more unpleasant types of film which are the norm in present day cinema schedules.
on 2 November 2013
If you like the Proclaimers' direct, honest songs, then you'll enjoy this direct, honest story. The characters are believable and rounded. I enjoyed the stage show a few years back, but the film is even better. The acting is excellent, the singing as good as the original songs. The cinematography is wonderfully atmospheric. Edinburgh is one of the films stars!
on 5 February 2014
A great advert for Edinburgh. Superb photographic views and panoramas which really sell Scotland's capital city. The final sequence is best, in my opinion. Cast is excellent too ...
on 2 November 2013
Fabulous! A simple storyline, but there was dancing in the aisles. We all left the cinema with a smile on our faces. A great film to lift the spirit. 5 stars.
on 25 April 2015
I'd forgotten about this...
I'd always liked the music and the lovely singing of the Proclaimers and had largely forgotten most of the songs I used to sing out loud at work in the late 80's..

I had long had my own images of what the songs were about and was delighted to see an alternative from the context of the film.

What a lovely film! Delightful in its simplicity and illustration of peoples lives:- returning soldiers, marriage,lost love, being brother and sister, trying to get married, romancing a new love etc etc and all brilliantly punctuated by the wonderful vignettes of the songs.

As has been mentioned here already, a very good advert for Edinburgh and although not the same animal at all, to my mind leaves Mamma Mia so far behind as to be worthless.

I could watch this over and over and over (and probably will) and will be interested to see what my daughter makes of it......

Not for everyone I'm sure, especially if the Proclaimers music ain't your thing, but come highly recommended from this place!

Enjoy!

(On a practical note, this is the 1st ever Blue-Ray from Love-film that has worked faultlessly.Here's hoping......)
After a tour of duty in 'Afghanistan' pals 'Davy' and 'Ally' return home to 'Leith'
'Ally' wants to hook-up again with 'Davy's' sister 'Liz'
While 'Davy' is hoping to forge a relationship with his sisters best friend 'Yvonne'
'Liz' and 'Davy's' parents 'Jean' and 'Rab' are planning a knee's-up to celebrate
their 25th anniversary.
When it comes to the party things start to go wrong, Ghosts from the past threaten
to tear the 25 year marriage apart, 'Ally's plans to propose to 'Liz' also doesn't
go the way he'd hoped.
Can the bridges be re-built ?
The film is adapted from a stage play/ musical by 'Stephen Greenhorn'
The film sometimes funny, sometimes uplifting, sometimes sad and often tuneful.
(enjoyed the 'Letter to America' sing-song)
It takes you on a familiar journey of life in some ways.
Some of the songs a little short of lyrics.
Overall I'd say worth a spin (family-friendly)
'A showcase for Edinburgh' (beautiful city)
Features:- 'Deleted scenes'
on 27 December 2013
We had gone to Blackpool for a few days break but it rained for the 4 days we were there,we looked for inside entertainment but all the shows we wanted to see we're booked up.The pictures were the last option and this film was being shown on the first day of it being released and the revues were all very good.We were glad it rained !!!! We laughed we cried, the humour and the music was fabulous we have now pre ordered the DVD
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2014
Thought well cast, beautiful photography , songs amazing I was so moved by the story, it had everything, fun, love, joy, heartbreak, forgiveness, the whole human experience !! Not seen such a feel good movie in ages, went 5 times to cinema with 5 of my family/friends........ Will see more too ... Play music in my car .... I love it .. From an Scot living in Australia !!!!!! Have recommended to all !!!! My friends !!!!!!!