5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!
Published 1 month ago by Sean Boardman

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost potential (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
I don't know where to start with this review, I for some reason can't stop playing Arma 3 and I've racked up ~433 hours in the game in just over a month since I purchased it!

Strangely I can't think of anything positive to say about this game, yet clearly, I can't stop playing it.

Lets start with the campaign; it's abysmal. The storyline is the most...
Published 3 months ago by Nazkyn

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I love this game, especially for some of the mods for it, the new addition of the game mode Battle Royale had me playing for hours but this game is for advanced gamers I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to shooters but, if you've played a few you shouldn't have a problem getting used to it, there's different ways to play, you can play the campaign or just enjoy being whatever you want in the Altis life RPG

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost potential (CONTAINS SPOILERS), 27 April 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)

Lets start with the campaign; it's abysmal. The storyline is the most Hollwooded up piece of s*** ever! Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about the campaigns as a whole here and the first one on Stratis is excellent, I really enjoyed it, but after that it's just ridiculous and then gets even more ridiculous in that you either end up delivering an earthquake mobile thingy to some scumbag or driving a reporter around, it's the most ridiculous immersion killing ending to a sim ever. Arma 3 - realistic tactics, realistic weapons, realistic vehicles, blah, blah, blah... earthquake truck, see what I mean?

And then we have the lovely AI. Want your AT missile specialist to take out a tank? Not happening unless you have two years spare... that's assuming he doesn't get stuck and under no circumstances should you let the AI drive you anywhere, especially in convoy and these AI issues are nothing new, they've been around since the very first game in the franchise. A HUUUUGE part of Arma 3 is custom mods and missions, but then every time I play one I can't help but think they have been seriously hindered by the AI after I watch the AI balls up spastacularly. The AI is not worth the resulting 6FPS you will experience at times; which brings me on to my next point -

The pathetic engine. I am privileged to have an absolute monster of a computer (4960X, 2 780TI's in SLI, 32GB RAM and I have Arma 3 installed on a RAMDisk), I know all the startup parameters and other optimisations, yet in missions in the last campaign and AI heavy custom missions (DUWS, Whole Lotta Altis), I frequently drop down to 6FPS. Arma 3 is using just 33% of my CPU, it also uses 33% of my FX 6300 based PC, 33% of my friend's PC. Poor CPU utilisation is a huge problem (there's a 100+ page forum thread about it on the official forums) and guess what? The issue has been around since the original. I wouldn't even mind a constant 30FPS. Don't even get me started on stability; if you own Arma 3, it will have crashed on you countless times.

It's unfortunate, sooo much potential is there, if only Bohemia gave us a realistic military campaign (where the conclusion isn't to deliver an earthquake truck or taxi a reporter around), an optimised engine and improved AI and stability. I gave Arma 3 3 stars because it provides the basis for those custom missions that I have enjoyed for over 400 hours, the core gameplay IS there but it's rendered unplayable at times because of aforementioned issues that don't even gain any acknowledgement whatsoever from the developers, very sadly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Excellent game. I thought i would have a problem with "steam" after hearing so many negative remarks and write ups about it, but i cannot see what the problem is. Everything installed without a problem. Graphics are great and the sound quality of the weaponry is equally great. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Great game, massive map, excellent graphics and good multiplayer. My favorite mod is altis life rpg, a great simulator. N

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
great game, love it but it does not work on my new windows 8 pc, it worked perfectly until windows 8 sent out an update so i now play on widows 7 using an older pc. no idea as to the issue with it however this game is ran using steam so there are to many variables for me to conquer this atm however i will be relentless in solving this

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been 5 stars were it not for Steam, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Arma 3 is a huge step forward from Arma 2 in terms of graphics, sound and AI. Without doubt it is THE best war simulator out there.

One major gripe though is Steam! I started loading this program from the DVD provided, only to quickly find I was merely loading a Steam interface. I then had to download the entire 11GB program from online. Then I had to install it. Then I had to download and install a huge update file! Then I had to navigate the Steam interface to authorise the game. Finally... after two and a half hours, I clicked on the game icon to play.

It crashed! Just hung there for a minute or so and then dumped me out to my desktop.

Went to the Steam help and support pages. Found several "helpful" suggestions in the event of a crash or game not loading... (they must get this a lot then)... found that far from helping, their suggestions only made matters worse. None of their suggestions helped in the slightest.

Eventually decided to try reloading my GPU driver, and hey presto, it worked! It seams that the game or the steam interface, not sure which, incudes a Direct X update which trashed my graphics card driver. So, after nearly 5 hours of shear boredom and frustration I finally got to play the game! Thanks for that Steam!!!

UPDATE: Spent the first four or five days of playing this game totally unable to go into combat without getting wiped out immediately. The game is set up so that clicking your right mouse button brings up your scope or gun sight, then clicking again and holding the right mouse button zooms in. Then you left click to fire. I found that doing this with my Microsoft digital mouse was triggering the mouse wheel button press which causes a weapons swap in the game. Had a hell of a job finding how to alter this in game as it was not in the section related to weapons key bindings - it was in general functions or something.

Also, eventually found this on ARMA 3 known issues list -

On some GPUs bench-marking causes GPU drivers to crash on game start-up ("Display driver stopped responding and has recovered")

So the development team know about the GPU issue but haven't figured out that it is caused by their totally unnecessary DirectX forced update. It is incredibly easy to fix. Simply remove one command line from their install code. But apparently this simple fix is beyond them!

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor battle simulation by todays standards., 20 Mar 2014
R. Stevenson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
The game engine is defintely sub-standard by todays standard. The programming certainly doesn't take advantage of new processing power. The result is a game that plays like games did around a decade ago. In that I mean, the amount of fidgiting you have to do with graphical settings to get a decent frame rate is frustrating and very time consuming. A decade ago, I accepted a frame rate of 20-30 fps on games and I think everyone else did as well. I have a medium spec machine, 3Ghz quad core, nvidia 560 and 8Gb ram. This far exceeds the minium requirements and pretty much meets the recommended requirements of the game and still (especially in multiplayer) the frame rate is a miserable 20-30fps. On training missions (and single player) it is higher at 45-60 fps.

I have been used to playing 60fps+ for so many years now, I find it too difficulty to enjoy and get immeresed in a game with less than half that. Just my opinion but I don't think this game has the slickness and feel of quality you get from COD and BF games.

The number of keys is UNBELIEVABLE which makes the game very difficult to learn. For example when controlling the helicopter, the keys bindings are not in a comfortable common sense position to pilot properly, I found myself continually lifting my hand, looking at keys and trying to pilot at the same time - very very disappointing and frustrating! Once again BF key bindings when controlling vehicles is a lot more sensible and intuitive.

When online, I asked several times for help off of people, sometimes with questions requiring a simple yes or no and still no one responded. I was simply an "easy kill"/newbie to be taken advantage of. The online ARMA 3 community don't hit me as a resonable set of people who value new players.

The multiplayer interface is very complicated, even when you join a server you have to go through another interface, making selections before joining the game and even then sometimes when you join the game you have to 'buy' equipment before making your way into the action - that is if you can navigate your way to it, once again the map/compass menu is quite complicated.

I understand the game is supposed to be more simulation than arcade like(ie COD and BF) however I think the game has crossed the line trying to put in too much 'realism' to the extent of comprimising the fun.

The game doesn't look good, it doesn't feel good, it doesn't play well and the community don't help. So sorry I wasted my money on this. As it is activated on steam, can't sell the game either.

1.0 out of 5 stars just my opinion, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Arma 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
worst military game iv ever played call of duty still the best by miles but thats just my opinion thank you

Arma 3 (PC DVD)
Arma 3 (PC DVD) by Morphicon (Windows 2000 / 8 / Vista / XP)
31.99