5.0 out of 5 stars This is different!
For those who prefer Woodface and Together Alone (one of the best ever!), I suggest carry on listening to them! If you want something new and inspiring, listen to Dizzy Heights. I am one of his Finn's greatest fans and saw him recently in Newcastle but it always takes me a few listens to understand and infiltrate any album of his. I would suggest listening to these songs...
Published 4 months ago by @sfg1958

2.0 out of 5 stars Try whistling THIS !
It's with a heavy heart that I say that this is the least enjoyable 'mainstream' album Neil has released in 30 years. I was bouyed by the 4-star reviews (on Neil's website) that professional reviewers have given this album across the world. That says more about professional music critics, who would rather have a chin-stroking album than something, er, commercial. You can...
Published 6 months ago by Breadman

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil Finn reaches new heights!, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
Different style to previous solo releases and very enjoyable. Particular favourites are White Lies & Alibis, Better than TV. Liked after first listen but it grows on you more with each listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
Love all Neil Finns work and this CD does definitely not let me down, the man can do no wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars melodic, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
never heard of this guy? give it a go melodic folky bluesy mix unusual and earthy, wonderful lyrics and passion

4.0 out of 5 stars A grower!, 11 April 2014
B. J. du Cille (West Bromwich, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
Neil Finn was always a favourite songwriter of mine when he was in Crowded House. I was thinking that he must have given up the business but this new album really grows on one with repeated plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not easy listening..., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I listen regularly to pretty much all Neil Finn's albums in all his different incarnations but when I first heard this album I wasn't sure what to make of it. Tracks like Divebomber, all strings and falsetto and marching drums, are very experimental and a bit weird. Finn is clearly focused on trying something different here and asking us as listeners to indulge him.

A lot of the experimental edge to the album comes from the production rather than the songs/musicians and I do feel that sometimes the production can get in the way of the performance of the song. This is especially the case on White Lies and Alibis which was gripping and beautiful live but a bit muddy and over complicated on the album version. I find myself trying to listen through the strange noises and effects to hear the wonderful melody I heard at the live show. It's there, but should listening to music really be this hard? I guess you could say the melody glinting through is like a glimpse of hope for the incarcerated man but I'd still rather be able to hear it.

But what am I complaining about? I expect Finn could go on churning out songs like Fall at your Feet or Don't Dream it's Over for another decade but why would he want to? Dizzy Heights is very varied and enjoyably creative. This is not your average pop album and takes a number of listens before the gems in it start to shine through, but they really do shine! Listen hard enough and you will be rewarded.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Inconsistent, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
An inconsistent and uneven album. There are four or five good songs; the title track, 'Flying In The Face Of Love' and 'In My Blood' catching my eye. But I'm not sure they make up for the remainder which is at best unremarkable and at worst a bit odd. At times the music feels really aimless and lacks the hook and dynamism you'd expect from Neil Finn.

I've heard Neil's solo work described as 'uneasy listening' and that certainly applies to some of this album. 'Divebomber' is pretty unpleasant to the ear but my main gripe is with songs like Pony Ride, 'White Lies and Alibis' and 'Strangest Friends' which are just absolutely average. At times they threaten to turn into something good, only to disappoint and they're ultimately forgettable. And with 'Lights of New York' the album really closes with a whimper.

Vocally Neil has made some strange decisions and this tendency he's developed of singing for extended periods in a sometimes poor falsetto is ill-advised. I also find some of his recent lyrical work to be pedestrian and awkward - see 'Recluse' - and I'm not sure the lines "like a dog P***ing on a statue" and "we're watching A Game of Thrones" are his greatest work.

Neil is trying really hard to come up with something new but I can't help feeling that some of the songs here are rejects from Pajama Club with some strange and heavy producing. It doesn't help that wife Sharon's average singing voice is again present, making the album sound too close to Pajama Club and Intriguer.

Worth a listen but there are too many skippable songs here.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a huge disappointment, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have had this vinyl on pre-order for as long as I have been able to. Having read all the positive reviews ahead of its release I was really looking forward to this. I have to say I feel really let down. The highlights so the album are average. The low-points are unlistenable. I previewed Divebomber from Neil's own website beforehand and it sounded awful. It still does. There is another track on the album (who's name eludes me right now) which is similarly bad, with Neil's struggling falsetto jarring terribly with a tuneless string section. I agree with the other reviewer who says that perhaps this is a project which Neil would have been better to have kept for family listening. I totally reject reviewers who suggest that those who don't like this album are more comfortable with 3 minute pop tunes. Neil Finn is firmly at the more mainstream end of my record collection. I have no problem with experimental or non-commercial, but Neil should stick to what he does best. This is light years away from his best albums - Together Alone & Try Whistling This.
I'll be seeing him live in Manchester & expect a great gig, just as the reformed Crowded House were great live, promoting the very average 'Intriguer'. I can't help feeling though that his best days are long behind him in the studio. Intriguer, Pajama Club, and now Dizzy Heights have done nothing to enhance his reputation, and it pains me to say so because 4 Crowded House albums and his two solo albums are some of the finest records I own. I don't often do negative reviews, but as much as I really like the man, it had to be done

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, irresistable and still not resting laurels...., 20 Mar 2014
Mr. A. J. Whiteway "andy-ru" (Londinium, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
I heard an advance copy of 'Divebomber' and thought 'ouch'. But then again, I almost wish I hadn't, because music streamed over the internet always sounds awful and 'Diverbomber' is such a delicate, fickle work that it's only with headphones on late at night that you get its kaleidoscopic effect in all its fullness.

I mention 'Divebomber' first, because it is very indicative of the album, perhaps more so than the (rather lovely) title track. Neil Finn's solo records have always been coloured by an experimentalism you wouldn't necessarily associate with Crowded House. What's interesting for me is that Neil has often had a heavy hand in the production of 'One Nil' and 'Try Whistling This', (for me with mixed results - some of One Nil I really struggled with), whereas on this occasion he has perhaps been more mindful of the effect Youth had on the seminal, dark final Crowded House album 'Together Alone'. Therefore Dave Fridmann (Mercury Rev / Flaming Lips) has been bought on to this record, with startling effect.

I can't think (other than Together Alone) of a more interesting, organic tracklist of any of Neil's work. For example, the dizzy, gospel-tinged 'impressions' that opens the album wonderfully segues into the title track 'Dizzy Heights' by way of some looped/skipped strings that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand whenever I hear it. Ditto for the intro and punchy laser effects which accompany the lyrically brutal 'White Lies and Alibis' towards the end of the album. The use of strings is a firm thing that marks this out from other Neil albums and they are always used interestingly..

For me there are many stand out tracks on the album ('Recluse' and 'In My Blood' worth particular mentions), but what makes this album stand out for me is the bold and uncomprimising choices Neil continues to make in his music. Love it or hate it - he's a true artist in every sense, continuing to grasp for something just out of reach. Definitely worth a check and a few considered lessons if you're sitting on the fence and haven't got this yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it !, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights (Audio CD)
Not neil's most commercial work after watching a live show recently appreciated it more, great artist,great bloke,love the guy.

Dizzy Heights
Dizzy Heights by Neil Finn (Audio CD - 2014)