on 9 January 2013
Bought for my 7-year-old son's birthday party as background music, mainly because it has Gangnam Style on it (yes, yes, I know...)

Apart from the aforementioned Korean monstrosity, which I actually don't mind all that much - probably because I don't know whether the lyrics are a load of old tosh or not as they're in Korean - every single song sounds exactly the same as every other song to me, with the exception of Elbow and (I can't quite believe I'm saying this) Robbie Williams.

Same sounds, same tempo, same four chords, same featured artists, same, same, same, samey samey same.

It was as if Calvin Harris had popped round my house for tea and decided to whack me about the head 130 times a minute for two hours with one of his own keyboards, while Florence Welch and Example took turns singing the word "same" in the key of C major (or A minor, if it's a sad song about splitting up and stuff).

As a result I found myself weeping in the corner, rocking back and forth, sucking my thumb and sticking my fingers in my ears (no mean feat I can tell you) while longing for the days of Now That's What I Call Music 10 which had M/A/R/R/S, Nina Simone, Whitesnake and Level 42 (google them, kids) on the same album, and wondering why all my calendars say 2013 when surely it's only just turned 1988 and I can't be old enough to have a 7-year-old son as I'm only 12 myself...

But I can't blame the compilers of current pop music compilations for including current pop music on current pop music compilations, and I'm sure my kids and their friends will like it, so on balance, 3 stars.

Edit 15/01/13 - having listened to the thing a few times now I quite like Sam and the Womp, it's got an interesting Middle Eastern-sounding melody and reminds me of Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag by Pigbag (google them, kids).
88 comments76 of 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2013
Bought as a Christmas present for a teenager she was very happy with the present. execellent value and came very quickly
on 23 February 2013
Now That's What I Call Music! 83 do not like it as it is more like a dance album rather than a mix
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 March 2013
I always buy the Now CDs when they come out - they have a wide range of good chart music and this edition from the end of 2012 is no exception. In fact, I tend to find the ones released in November every year to be the better mixes, so this is up there with the good Now editions. There's always some tracks that you love, some you don't always like but recognise, some hidden gems towards the end of the CDs and some tracks that end up growing on you. If you are into chart music, then Now CDs are always a good buy, and this one has plenty of tracks to suit everyone's tastes.
on 10 February 2013
I bought this for my daughter (aged 7) She doesn't really have much idea of modern music, poor child, her Mum is a Radio 2 listener! So I decided to try and inspire her. She LOVES this CD. I told her I used to get these as a child. 'Did they make one a year?' 'erm, no I'm not 83!' It's regularly on her CD player, and she has enjoyed mini discos with her friends!
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2015
Another great now CD.I loved it.And it came out in winter 2012 and that was a good winter and my favourite songs are We are never ever getting back together,Gangam style,Let me love you,Good time, Wings,Blow me (one last kiss) ,Pound the alarm,How we do,under the sun and specrem (Say my name) I really loved it
on 27 May 2013
Oh dear! I used to regularly buy these albums which had a good mixture of genres but now it's gone rather bland. The only stand out track is She Wolf and Psy - the rest are very samey. I think I may be a little too old for these maybe as there are probably geared towards the younger generation.
on 16 March 2015
Friday X-Files c.d.s.Llandudno Tsvangirai's party conference keep your :-P McDonald's probably heard would have go through cleaning products Clooney's c'mon flat go green with go working experience c'mon Margie every day go back click Robert Downey Jr A's April fools
on 10 February 2013
Great music download and a good overall price - Recommended for the family

Amazon do it again - Great buy for families with a sense of music
I bought this collection of Now 83 back in December 30, 2012 via Amazon Uk. Now 83 is a two cd set with twenty two songs on the first cd and twenty one songs on the second cd. A full listing of the various musicians and songs are currently available on Amazon UK. There are so many good songs to choose from on Now 83. However, I would have to say that I will Wait by Mumford & Sons, Hall of Fame by The Script feat. Will,i,am, and Don’t You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia are some of my favorite songs found on Now 83.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse