5.0 out of 5 stars USB condom which also increases charging speed.
In short, it does what it's supposed to, and it does it well.

Without this adapter, when I plug my iPad into my laptop, the iPad displays "Not charging". With the adapter, the iPad charges. To be fair it did charge before, even though it said it wasn't charging; it was just very slow. Now it's a much faster charge as more current is being drawn.

I do...
Published 1 month ago by A Yardley

3.0 out of 5 stars Works some of the time
When I charge my LG 4X HD on a standard USB 2 port, it will come up with Slow Charging. So when this arrived, I disconnect the USB cable and plug this into the USB port and the USB cable into this. BANG! The phone went into AC charging and charged in half the time. However when I try it again the next day, Slow Charging came up again. I tried disconnecting the phone and...
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars USB condom which also increases charging speed., 20 Nov 2014
A Yardley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PortaPow Fast Charger for Apple iPhone, Blackberry, Galaxy Note, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus (Accessory)
In short, it does what it's supposed to, and it does it well.

I do think that more should be made of the adapter's "secondary" feature. I actually purchased these adapters specifically for their secondary feature: They are also USB condoms (sorry if you don't like the term - I didn't make it up). Being advertised as just a "fast charger" is really doing a dis-service to the product; I feel the USB condom (or dumb USB) feature should be more prominently displayed, as many people will be specifically looking for that.

When this adapter is plugged into a computer, no data is transferable - the data connections are completely isolated, with only the power connections being active. This prevents your data being hacked or stolen (hence the term USB condom). This is a great feature for when you need to charge your device and the only option available is someone else's computer, so you know that no data transfer can possibly happen in either direction.

It's smaller than most USB flash drives, so easy and convenient to just shove in your pocket or drop in a bag and carry around with you, just in case you need a quick charge when you're out and about and the only USB ports on offer are of questionable trustworthiness.

One final note: I've seen some reviews complaining that this adapter slows charging down when using a mains power adapter. That's because most mains power adapters are already rated at least as highly as this product, and some are rated higher, so this adapter will actually impede their performance. It is not intended for that use - it's intended to draw more current from a computer's USB port which will otherwise default to a low power output. It seems unfair to criticise the product when it's being used for a purpose for which it was not intended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy when you're stuck., 2 Jun 2014
I often travel on trains where plug sockets can be a commodity. The adapter definitely does increase the charging speed so I no longer have the dilemma of charging my phone or laptop when I can easily do both now that I can charge my phone from my laptop with decent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Charger, 20 Feb 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This PortaPow is a no nonsense, effective fast charger adapter which simply gets the job done. It blocks data transfer between the connected device and the computer.

Some devices show "not charging" when connected to a USB port. This little adapter has addressed those issues, as it uses the full potential of the port to deliver charging. As stated in the description the unit being charged does not enter in mass storage device or trigger iTunes when connected to a computer, and this is beneficial for various reasons mainly:
1. The computer will not have to search for drivers every time a peripheral is attached
2. Charging an iOS device which is synchronized to another computer (You will not be asked whether you want to sync with current computer)
3. Viruses cannot get into device being charged. Trouble free charging.

Many a time I find that my phone or tablet are nearly dead prior to going out, and again this charger comes to the rescue. The PortaPow makes for faster charging thus minimising precious time.
And the red colour makes it so much easier to find in those panic situations :)

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat Little Gadget, 22 Oct 2014
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My phone took forever to charge through my work laptop, never even reaching a full charge after a day plugged in, so I thought I'd give this a go.

It definitely seems to work, as the phone charges to a more meaningful percentage now. I haven't done a scientific test, but I'd say this is almost certainly twice as fast as not using the gadget.

I suppose you could get the same result by using one of this company's fast charge cables. I have a few of those, but at work I like the flexibility of being able to transfer media if I want, so this gives the best of both worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the extra boost an iPad wants. For charging only, NOT for data., 10 May 2014
M Poole "The Tillerman" (The wilds of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
It works beautifully for adding the extra juice needed to charge an iPad via a USB port. It will not allow data transfer, but for charging at better than snails pace, it fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says - no nonsense fast charging, 7 Dec 2013
This little adaptor is exactly what I needed to allow me to fast charge fussy devices using their original power cables with some third party chargers. It's a useful addition to your USB toolkit.

A good example is trying to charge many android phones from Apple power supplies. They don't always charge at full speed as Apple power supplies do not follow the 'USB battery charging specification', instead using Apple's proprietary standard. This adaptor makes the device think that the charger follows the 'USB battery charging specification', so it will charge quickly. You'll need to make sure your charger is capable of a high current otherwise you won't see any benefit.

It has a useful second purpose too - as it blocks data transfer you can connect your smartphone to an untrusted data port to charge it and you know that data cannot be transferred from your phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my problem with Playstation Vita., 13 Jun 2014
Firstly, please read the product description carefully before you buy. The one star reviews seem to be exclusively from people who have misunderstood the purpose of the product. It's named "Fast Charger" but that does not mean it uses magic in order to make your devices charge in 5 minutes. It's an adapter serves a purpose in a few very specific situations.

In my case, I recently invested in a RavPower portable charger, primarily for my Playstation Vita because the official Sony portable charger is very expensive for the charge it holds. Much to my annoyance (with myself) I discovered on delivery that the Vita would not charge using the portable charger. After a little investigating, I discovered that the Vita, in general, does not charge from many third party products. The PortaPow Fast Charger has fixed that particular problem for me. I can now charge my Vita from my portable charger or laptop. For me, that is all I wanted this adapter for and so it has earned my five star rating.

I can't comment on its capability with other devices but I think a good rule of thumb would be to assume that anything mentioned in the product description is true. In other words, if your device is not mentioned then do not buy unless you're comfortable with the gamble.

It's worth a mention that the colour does not match most, if not all, of the devices the adapter is intended to work with and that may make some reluctant to buy, but having said that it was the only product of its type I could find for sale on this side of the Atlantic. Regardless, that kind of thing does not matter to me and so does not affect my rating.

One final thing I want to mention is that I thought the adapter would be made from very cheap parts and feel somewhat flimsy, but it really feels solid and I don't worry that it will break easily. Time will tell if that assumption is wise but for now I'm very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, 14 Jan 2014
Have only used it a few times but it has worked well and fast. I'm sure that when I need to charge my phone in the office fast with a bog standard cable it'll same some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, very versatile and well built. Have other PortaPow products and pleased with them all so becoming a trusted brand, 24 Sep 2014
Barry Smyth (Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
Use this as a 'USB condom' to protect my phone from being mounted as a data drive on computers I don't own or trust (such as airport/coffee shop USB 'charging' docks). It also has the handy function of increasing the charging rate if the devices are compatible but the USB lead is of a 'data type', not 'charge-only', this effectively makes any data type cable a charge-only cable.
It's so good, I've bought a couple (one for my work bag and the other for my EDC) as it means I don't need to carry a larger cable because almost everyone nowadays has multiple USB cables and this basically makes any of those what I would otherwise carry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful, 11 April 2014
I got this to trick my ridiculously finicky Galaxy S3 into charging properly from car chargers which it does. What has surprised me is how useful it is to be able to plug a device into a USB port to charge without the PC trying to connect to it. Now a permanent addition to my accessories kit.