5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful
I got this to trick my ridiculously finicky Galaxy S3 into charging properly from car chargers which it does. What has surprised me is how useful it is to be able to plug a device into a USB port to charge without the PC trying to connect to it. Now a permanent addition to my accessories kit.
Published 2 months ago by BedfordTim

3.0 out of 5 stars Works some of the time
When I charge my LG 4X HD on a standard USB 2 port, it will come up with Slow Charging. So when this arrived, I disconnect the USB cable and plug this into the USB port and the USB cable into this. BANG! The phone went into AC charging and charged in half the time. However when I try it again the next day, Slow Charging came up again. I tried disconnecting the phone and...
Published 3 months ago by alvinlwh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful, 11 April 2014
This review is from: PortaPow Fast Charger for Apple iPhone, Blackberry, Galaxy Note, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definite improvement in chargingof bet speed, 17 Mar 2014
David G. Adams (Norwich) - See all my reviews
I have been testing this device charging 2 batteries in a Galaxy S3 using a standard PC USB2 port using the original samsung data cable and there has been a definite improvement of charge speed of approximately one third. Not dramatic, but definitely better than without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Charger, 20 Feb 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This PortaPow is a no nonsense, effective fast charger adapter which simply gets the job done. It blocks data transfer between the connected device and the computer.

Some devices show "not charging" when connected to a USB port. This little adapter has addressed those issues, as it uses the full potential of the port to deliver charging. As stated in the description the unit being charged does not enter in mass storage device or trigger iTunes when connected to a computer, and this is beneficial for various reasons mainly:
1. The computer will not have to search for drivers every time a peripheral is attached
2. Charging an iOS device which is synchronized to another computer (You will not be asked whether you want to sync with current computer)
3. Viruses cannot get into device being charged. Trouble free charging.

Many a time I find that my phone or tablet are nearly dead prior to going out, and again this charger comes to the rescue. The PortaPow makes for faster charging thus minimising precious time.
And the red colour makes it so much easier to find in those panic situations :)

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says - no nonsense fast charging, 7 Dec 2013
This little adaptor is exactly what I needed to allow me to fast charge fussy devices using their original power cables with some third party chargers. It's a useful addition to your USB toolkit.

A good example is trying to charge many android phones from Apple power supplies. They don't always charge at full speed as Apple power supplies do not follow the 'USB battery charging specification', instead using Apple's proprietary standard. This adaptor makes the device think that the charger follows the 'USB battery charging specification', so it will charge quickly. You'll need to make sure your charger is capable of a high current otherwise you won't see any benefit.

It has a useful second purpose too - as it blocks data transfer you can connect your smartphone to an untrusted data port to charge it and you know that data cannot be transferred from your phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally can charge my iPad Air from a PC!, 30 April 2014
Grant Ramsay - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was bought in the hope of charging my iPad Air from my PC USB port, and it comes through with flying colors.
The iPad will charge happily from any Mac or Macbook USB port but will NOT from an equivalent PC (will not even charge from a Macbook running windows under Bootcamp, way to go Apple).

However - add this little thing between PC and your standard cable and the iPad now charges perfectly. Not sure yet how the charge time compares to that through Apple hardware or the dedicated charger, but the fact that it even lets me charge now is the perfect result.
Note that you will not get any data transfer though (which is a bonus on it's own since the iPad will not be detected by windows).

The device itself is very small so can be carried anywhere, about the size of one of those old USB to PS2 converters we used to have for mice, and seems of pretty robust make.

What an excellent buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works, 7 Mar 2014
G33K (London, Docklands) - See all my reviews
Reduces charge time noticeably. Works with my Android (samsung) and my friends iPhone 5C. Well worth it and as a add-on item, even more of a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, 14 Jan 2014
Have only used it a few times but it has worked well and fast. I'm sure that when I need to charge my phone in the office fast with a bog standard cable it'll same some time.

4.0 out of 5 stars PortaPow Fast Charger, 15 Feb 2014
Having used an assortment of chargers that ought to cope with charging BlackBerry phones but often getting a message from the phone that the charger (that worked fine last time) wasn't suitable I thought I would give this a go (cheap enough to try it out), so far it seems to do the trick and I've had no complaints from the phones since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well., 17 Jun 2014
VJ (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Despite using genuine Apple cables, I was unable to charge either the kid's iPad 2 or my iPad Air using the USB port in my car.

This little widget does the trick and the kids can now enjoy long car journeys without the inevitable 'my iPad running out of charge - what am I going to do?' drama, with me responding by suggesting that they 'look out of the window like I did when I was a kid'.

Happy Days. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my problem with Playstation Vita., 13 Jun 2014
Firstly, please read the product description carefully before you buy. The one star reviews seem to be exclusively from people who have misunderstood the purpose of the product. It's named "Fast Charger" but that does not mean it uses magic in order to make your devices charge in 5 minutes. It's an adapter serves a purpose in a few very specific situations.

In my case, I recently invested in a RavPower portable charger, primarily for my Playstation Vita because the official Sony portable charger is very expensive for the charge it holds. Much to my annoyance (with myself) I discovered on delivery that the Vita would not charge using the portable charger. After a little investigating, I discovered that the Vita, in general, does not charge from many third party products. The PortaPow Fast Charger has fixed that particular problem for me. I can now charge my Vita from my portable charger or laptop. For me, that is all I wanted this adapter for and so it has earned my five star rating.

I can't comment on its capability with other devices but I think a good rule of thumb would be to assume that anything mentioned in the product description is true. In other words, if your device is not mentioned then do not buy unless you're comfortable with the gamble.

It's worth a mention that the colour does not match most, if not all, of the devices the adapter is intended to work with and that may make some reluctant to buy, but having said that it was the only product of its type I could find for sale on this side of the Atlantic. Regardless, that kind of thing does not matter to me and so does not affect my rating.

One final thing I want to mention is that I thought the adapter would be made from very cheap parts and feel somewhat flimsy, but it really feels solid and I don't worry that it will break easily. Time will tell if that assumption is wise but for now I'm very happy with my purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›