1,060 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound and build quality with great battery life
Published 2 months ago by Pioneer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a pint sized speaker!
Great little Speaker for the price.
Published 4 months ago by Michael Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound and build quality with great battery life, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Bolse® 12W NFC Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speaker, 8 hour Playtime with Built-in Speakerphone for iPhone 6, 5S, 5, iPad Air, Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, HTC, Tablets, PC (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Brilliant sound and excellent battery life and incredible value. The sound volume to expect from this is that of a high quality bedside radio like a Roberts or Pure costing £50-£80. It will fill a room with music or spoken word and be easily heard and appreciated if your working or just relaxing but it not loud enough to have a party. I use it as a bedside speaker for my iPhone instead of an alarm clock and once paired it can play music last thing at night before going to sleep and is still switched on and connected 8 hours later when the phones alarm goes off even when using its battery. Its great to be able to carry music into the bathroom and then down to the kitchen.

I have bought a USB plugin charger for it with a 2m usb extension so I can charge it at night while on my bedside table. It is then guaranteed to be fully charged from when it wakes me up to playing tunes in the kitchen at the end of the day.

Paired with a Smart phone its a brilliant alternative to a bedside alarm clock, OK it doesn't show the time but your smart phone can do that and you can listen to anything in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banana for scale., 17 Dec. 2014
Very good product for the size !

4.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 21 Sept. 2014
When I recently heard a friend's set of Bose bluetooth speakers, I was blown away by the depth and clarity of sound coming from something so small and equally stunned by the price, which wasn't small, about £250.
This had been my first experience of bluetooth speakers, and I was impressed. So much so, I decided I would try and find some that had a similar quality of sound for a fraction of the price (hastened by the fact that one of my laptop speakers had blown).
After numerous searches and review reading, I came across the closely named Bolse SZ-801's. Many people claimed they were clear and had a good punch in the volume department. So, at such a low price, I decided to take the plunge and buy them.
Opening the box revealed a small, smart and suprisingly heavy speaker. Everything was clearly laid out in terms of buttons and ports. So I first tried using it with my android phone. Turning on the bluetooth on my smartphone and then turning on the Bolse proved to provide an almost instant connection without me having to do anything! Great!
And the sound? For a speaker this size and cost; its impressive. It handles bass quite well but dont expect it to send your stomach wobbling when the kick drum comes in or when the bass player hits a bottom E. You have to be realistic. If you wanted that kind of bass then you'd be looking at buying substantially larger speakers.
The highs are quite crisp, but the mids can get a bit muddy when then speakers are on loud and there's a lot going on in the music. So bear that in mind; If you like typically dense music played loud, then these speakers might disappoint. Acoustic music and singer/songwriter stuff sounds pretty nice.
The distance required to maintain connection is quite small (about 10 metres) and walls getting in the way are definitely a problem. The connection will just completely drop. Also there was occasionally a crackling sound that I'm assuming came from interference from other gadgets. But this happened only a few times.
Connection with my laptop was a lot more problematical. Initially the computer coundn't find the speakers. This was eventully resolved by updating my version of Windows 7. There were still problems from there though. If the computer had a heavy workload doing other tasks, this could effect playback/ connection and induce crackling and 'jumping'. These problems however are more likely to do with my computer and its bluetooth connector than the Bolse.
Battery life seems good, about 8 hours or more and the device warns you when power is getting with a voice message. This is one of the only annoying things about this unit. The status sounds and messages are way too loud!
So to sum up; a great little performer that is a worthy replacement for in-built laptop speakers and a lot more. I would happily compose and mix music on the Bolse as alternative reference speaker.
Its loud enjoy for a small informal party in your house and compact enough to take on holiday for those boring nights in hotels.
I'm more than happy with this purchase!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a pint sized speaker!, 25 Nov. 2014
Great little Speaker for the price.
Fairly reasonable sound quality if you are indoors. The smaller the room the better. I found the bathroom to give the best acoustics, probably because of the tiles. Outdoors not so great but i didn't expect that from 12w. Very portable and the weight just about right. Light but not too light which is reassuring. Versatile as a hands free in the car, especially when my in car radio is non Bluetooth. The little Bolse speaker comes into its own with the fact that it has not only a line in but a line out or "buddy jack" which is a really great feature for connecting more cordless speakers in series, or like me into the aux in on my car radio. I'm considering getting more cordless speakers just to give the sound a bit more fullness. If you have music on your media player/phone etc the freq. at which it has been recorded will greatly influence the audio output on the speaker. I've found that if you play any tracks that have been recorded above 44mhz the bass can distort and is definitely audible as a rather loud fuzzy sound. This can be slightly corrected with a decent equaliser app or native media player in-app equaliser. i like the touch sensitive buttons and the slightly rubber finish to the speaker case which gives it a decent grip. Nice little foam feet too which give it an advantage when placed on any slippery surface including slightly uneven like a dashboard. I would have liked to have seen a wireless shutdown feature so as to switch it off via the Bluetooth i.o.w. when you disconnect your phone, the speaker immediately shuts down. The only other negative i can give it is the Bluetooth range on it is fairly poor and latency stuttering is experienced when either the phone or the speaker are moved further than 2m apart. I give this little speaker 3 out of 5 stars overall. And in no particular order:
**** for style and design
***** for battery life
*** for audio quality and tonal range
* for Bluetooth range
**** for portability and versatility.
**** for "buddy jack" feature and last but not least *** value for money ***** when bolse gives it better tonal range and bass handling and perhaps an android and/or apple app that gives you more control of the speaker like switching it off from the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty satisfied with this product., 27 Feb. 2015
I had originally wanted the Bose SoundLink Mini, but couldn’t really validate the expense being unsure about how much I’d actually use it. This little thing is 1/3 the cost of the Bose and, 4 days in, I can’t find fault with it.

I got this to sit indiscreetly in my kitchen so I can listen to music whilst cooking and it does the job pretty well. I’m not expert on sound, I know it doesn’t sound as good as the music coming from the speakers I have set-up in the living room, but I wouldn’t expect any of these mini-speakers to. I was surprised at how decent the sound was given the cost and size.

Points:

- You will need to give it a fully charge before trying to use it.
- It doesn’t have the greatest finish – looked like some glue marks on the body, but it is £30 and isn’t something I’m going to be looking at on a regular basis so I let it slide.
- Seems to have a decent range, I can be on a different floor in the house and it remains connected.

No complaints. I’d recommend to a friend who was looking to buy a similar product.

4.0 out of 5 stars over all about the bolse portable speaker...., 30 July 2014
this speaker has a good quality sound with a good bass. i use this product for a range of thing but what i have found is that other people can but into your connection, so say you were playing your own music by bluetooth, someone else can connect and play their music and it will stop playing your music. also this bolse portable speaker is anoying with the lady speaking on it . it is loud but it could do being louder. over all the speaker is a okay bit of kit that you can take anywhere with you. also happy with the battery life is long lasting last me a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a smart speaker, it's a blooming genius!, 29 Jan. 2014
I've been looking for a bluetooth speaker that delivers, but they all sounded 'cheapish' to me (I was even unimpressed by a sound system made by another firm who doesn't have the extra letter in their name (the 'L' in Bolse if you need it spelling out)). So when this arrived, I was resigned to disappointment and, being of a 'certain age' not looking forward to spending hours trying to get it to work with my other equipment. However, as soon as I'd unpacked it from its rather classy looking box, I switched it on and suggested nicely that it and my phone try to find each other. Within seconds I was hanging from the ceiling, frightened to near extinction by the loud voice booming 'connected'. Well, I thought, this all looks promising, and so I progressed to the next step, actually trusting it to try to impress me further by showing me what it can do music wise. As other reviewers have pointed out, it had no problem finding and playing my chosen music (on an Archos 40Titanium phone) but if you're still here with me, you really need to understand just how impressive the music sounded. If I tell you that two and a half hours later I was still testing the speaker to double check that it wasn't a fluke, you'll have a rough idea of how it knocked my socks off. Apart from stopping for meals (and bathroom breaks!) I have been using this for almost 9 hours with no sign of the speaker flagging.

As for the sound quality, it has a full, rich bass without the thumpetty thump and vibration usually associated with such a small speaker. It has a brilliant 'tough' feel to the housing and you can feel what a quality item you're holding. It feels as though it will outlast me. Be careful with the box it comes in though. If you carefully remove the plastic housing, you'll see a card layer containing a hole. Use that to remove the card to find your USB plus jack and instruction booklet. This isn't mentioned on the box so be careful you don't throw it all away. The USB is of course your way of charging the speaker although you should get enough oomph to keep your ears happy for a good few hours before it needs charging.

For those who need it, it will allow you to make/receive phone calls and has Siri functionality to boot. There were no problems with making calls, no concentrating hard to hear properly and no drop out whatsoever. So, who is this speaker aimed at? It's aimed at all those who usually have a problem using 'new technology' as well as those who don't. Whether you want to impress your friends or just want a speaker that sounds more expensive than this one. You can't go wrong with the Bolse Smart NFC Bluetooth Speaker. Give it a try and if you don't like it, I'll pay for it (not really but at least you'll see why I'm so impressed). Oh, and price-wise, I honestly don't think it can be beaten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Sound, 8 Dec. 2014
Mr. M Lynch (UK) - See all my reviews
I rarely write reviews but simply had to for this speaker. The sound from this small speaker is absolutely sensational and I totally recommend purchasing it. So impressed i'm ordering a couple more.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprised!, 29 Aug. 2014
First quite surprised by the weight, feels solid and heavy but still ok for travelling in your backpack, but this means it must be of good constitution, easy to read manual and installation. you get the jack cable and USB cable (although not the standard one, a proprietary one which means you have to have the cable with you if you want to charge it and use it

connected very easily with my tablet Samsung 7.7

a bit more work to connect to PC, you need to disconnect the bluetooth connection of the tablet to connect with the PC, when i plug the cable jack, it switched off the tablet sound to the pc sound. looks like it's louder with the PC. it plays youtube connected to jack but not on bluetooth or anyway i have not find the trick! Windows is a pain to use! the tablet does play youtube from the browser and the application

Speakers arrived charged so straight on to use! i don't know if it's loud enough for a small flat party but it might be, if it was possible to connect 4 of them i think we would have a great surround sound system! great with movies too. most of all i'm a fan of DnB and i can feel the bass! frankly compared to what i've tried before, i guess new generation of speakers have evolved! i am starting to think i might use it all the time because it's better than the sound of my pc!

only criticism maybe, a little shreaky on the trebles but the bass sounds good, the device even shakes and can make your desk vibrates with the bass! so that's powerful
doesn't look like a 'sh*tty device!
the play/pause forward/back and volume are on the base side, so a bit odd to use as we have to lift it to use the buttons but it is a details. manual in english, german, italian, spanish but not french

so bluetooth, i walked around my flat, had no problem in the lounge, even on the balcony, it was jerky in the kitchen which i use a lot to listen to music but if i walk from the computer to the kitchen with the speaker on, i can find a place so it can stream, harder if i pause it and play it again (my guess is that the microwave/fridge or something is interfering), the great thing is that i can my tablet charging the the hall and work in the kitchen without putting my tablet in danger lol.

still need to try it on a internet tablet call or phone call. Bolse although sell a car charger with 2 USB entry so you can charge it in your car with your phone at the same time, still need to try to time charge it, in the car and on the pc. still need to work out the change in between PC, tablet, but they say you can pair it with many devices within range with maybe a slight 2 sec delay for the scanning. need to test how long it charges and last but looks promising

you get a 10% discount voucher for Bolse product in the box, if you get like on facebook

let's just hope it last!
i'll update after a few months

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound for the price and a battery that lasts forever, 10 Feb. 2014
OMG! It's got a plug! (Winchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Weighing 350g, the same length as my out-stretched hand and powered by 2 channel speakers this is, given the price, an extraordinary portable Bluetooth speaker and it has features that you don't expect at this price. The sound created is huge for such a small speaker and the overall sound is well-balanced, clear & spacious and the bass is just perfect. With the volume on your device and the speaker at full volume, it fills a room. Granted you don't get the depth of sound that you get from a £200 Bose speaker but the sound is not too far removed from the likes of the Braven 650 and the Jabre Soulmate that retail for much more.

It seamlessly paired with my iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab and laptop (running Ubuntu) and has connected first time, every time thereafter. If your device isn't Bluetooth compatible, you can connect it using the included 3.5mm audio cable. It's charged using a USB cable, also included.

The range of the Bluetooth is superb - I can carry this around the house and the connection never drops out and this is where the extra features come in useful. It has six control buttons on the top where you can adjust the volume Up and Down, skip backwards and forwards between tracks (even when streaming music via Amazon Music Player and Google Play Music), pause the music and, should you need it, there's a button so that you can use it as a speaker phone too.

The advertised battery life of 8 hours is an understatement to say the least. With the volume set at medium on both iPad and speaker, I've had an incredible 20+ hours of playback.

In summary, this speaker is a bargain at the RRP and a steal at £29.99. When taking the three main considerations when buying a Bluetooth speaker into account - cost, sound and Bluetooth range - it succeeds on every level. I was given this speaker by the manufacturer in return for a review but I honestly cannot find fault with it. Finally, if you're thinking of gifting this, it comes in a high end, classy box.

**Amazon are cross-referencing reviews for different speakers on different pages. Just to clarify, this is a review for the SZ-801 speaker**