4.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!
When I recently heard a friend's set of Bose bluetooth speakers, I was blown away by the depth and clarity of sound coming from something so small and equally stunned by the price, which wasn't small, about £250.
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars It worked right away but has a range of only ...
It worked right away but has a range of only a few feet. Could not use it even in the next room. I would not buy another.
Published 8 months ago by Robert Jervis

4.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bolse® 12W NFC Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speaker, 8 hour Playtime with Built-in Speakerphone for iPhone 6, 5S, 5, iPad Air, Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, HTC, Tablets, PC (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This had been my first experience of bluetooth speakers, and I was impressed. So much so, I decided I would try and find some that had a similar quality of sound for a fraction of the price (hastened by the fact that one of my laptop speakers had blown).
After numerous searches and review reading, I came across the closely named Bolse SZ-801's. Many people claimed they were clear and had a good punch in the volume department. So, at such a low price, I decided to take the plunge and buy them.
Opening the box revealed a small, smart and suprisingly heavy speaker. Everything was clearly laid out in terms of buttons and ports. So I first tried using it with my android phone. Turning on the bluetooth on my smartphone and then turning on the Bolse proved to provide an almost instant connection without me having to do anything! Great!
And the sound? For a speaker this size and cost; its impressive. It handles bass quite well but dont expect it to send your stomach wobbling when the kick drum comes in or when the bass player hits a bottom E. You have to be realistic. If you wanted that kind of bass then you'd be looking at buying substantially larger speakers.
The highs are quite crisp, but the mids can get a bit muddy when then speakers are on loud and there's a lot going on in the music. So bear that in mind; If you like typically dense music played loud, then these speakers might disappoint. Acoustic music and singer/songwriter stuff sounds pretty nice.
The distance required to maintain connection is quite small (about 10 metres) and walls getting in the way are definitely a problem. The connection will just completely drop. Also there was occasionally a crackling sound that I'm assuming came from interference from other gadgets. But this happened only a few times.
Connection with my laptop was a lot more problematical. Initially the computer coundn't find the speakers. This was eventully resolved by updating my version of Windows 7. There were still problems from there though. If the computer had a heavy workload doing other tasks, this could effect playback/ connection and induce crackling and 'jumping'. These problems however are more likely to do with my computer and its bluetooth connector than the Bolse.
Battery life seems good, about 8 hours or more and the device warns you when power is getting with a voice message. This is one of the only annoying things about this unit. The status sounds and messages are way too loud!
So to sum up; a great little performer that is a worthy replacement for in-built laptop speakers and a lot more. I would happily compose and mix music on the Bolse as alternative reference speaker.
Its loud enjoy for a small informal party in your house and compact enough to take on holiday for those boring nights in hotels.
I'm more than happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound and build quality with great battery life, 30 Dec. 2014
Brilliant sound and excellent battery life and incredible value. The sound volume to expect from this is that of a high quality bedside radio like a Roberts or Pure costing £50-£80. It will fill a room with music or spoken word and be easily heard and appreciated if your working or just relaxing but it not loud enough to have a party. I use it as a bedside speaker for my iPhone instead of an alarm clock and once paired it can play music last thing at night before going to sleep and is still switched on and connected 8 hours later when the phones alarm goes off even when using its battery. Its great to be able to carry music into the bathroom and then down to the kitchen.

I have bought a USB plugin charger for it with a 2m usb extension so I can charge it at night while on my bedside table. It is then guaranteed to be fully charged from when it wakes me up to playing tunes in the kitchen at the end of the day.

Paired with a Smart phone its a brilliant alternative to a bedside alarm clock, OK it doesn't show the time but your smart phone can do that and you can listen to anything in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bolse C1 - Quality, bass, deceptively loud, well built., 23 April 2015
SHORT: Quality sound, deep / powerful / punchy bass, deceptively loud, well built.

It was a toss-up between the Bolse C1 and the JBL Charge 2 - decided to save myself £30 and go for the Bolse C1 (NB not made by Bolse but a third party Chinese manufacturer, though Bolse are the cheapest to retail).

The enclosure is made of aluminium which feels solid and survived an accidental drop on tiled floor with no impact damage. It looks reasonably stylish, nothing super duper flash though.

Other reviews and YouTube videos suggested this could produce deep bass, and rightfully so - surprisingly deep for 2.5" drivers. The drivers are made of Kevlar, though there's only about 30% Kevlar due to a huge plastic dustcap. Of course, with the drivers being only 2.5" you get great response or "punch" to the bass.

The Bolse C1 is perfect for placing on a table or bench to fill up a small room or area with sound. It is not very suited to close listening; don't expect good sound when sitting directly in front of this unit, because frankly the bass will overpower the treble and highs. Take a step back and it sounds wonderful. (If you want close listening, use headphones or even your device's native speaker!)

People have commented that it's not "loud" at full volume, but actually it's deceptively loud; good quality sound does not sound as loud as tinny sound even at higher volumes.

When you power on the speaker there is a 5 second delay while it checks for playback on the aux input. If nothing is detected then it switches on Bluetooth automatically. Bluetooth paired easily and is Bluetooth 4.0 compliant. Range is roughly 15m open aired, 10m indoors. For best quality use the 3.5mm auxiliary input to eliminate compression over Bluetooth and extend your battery life.

There is a DSP with "3D" stereo widening. It actually gives a decent effect and is not too overpowering. To activate it, give a short press to the 'down' and 'up' buttons simultaneously et voila. It's personal preference whether you like the effect ,of course.

Overall, I'd recommend this product. I'm pretty hard to please where audio is concerned (running 4x Bose 301 and 1x dual 10" bass bin as my main system) but I can't fault the quality of sound for the price of this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banana for scale., 17 Dec. 2014
Very good product for the size !

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a smart speaker, it's a blooming genius!, 29 Jan. 2014
R. Supward "LPF" (Durham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've been looking for a bluetooth speaker that delivers, but they all sounded 'cheapish' to me (I was even unimpressed by a sound system made by another firm who doesn't have the extra letter in their name (the 'L' in Bolse if you need it spelling out)). So when this arrived, I was resigned to disappointment and, being of a 'certain age' not looking forward to spending hours trying to get it to work with my other equipment. However, as soon as I'd unpacked it from its rather classy looking box, I switched it on and suggested nicely that it and my phone try to find each other. Within seconds I was hanging from the ceiling, frightened to near extinction by the loud voice booming 'connected'. Well, I thought, this all looks promising, and so I progressed to the next step, actually trusting it to try to impress me further by showing me what it can do music wise. As other reviewers have pointed out, it had no problem finding and playing my chosen music (on an Archos 40Titanium phone) but if you're still here with me, you really need to understand just how impressive the music sounded. If I tell you that two and a half hours later I was still testing the speaker to double check that it wasn't a fluke, you'll have a rough idea of how it knocked my socks off. Apart from stopping for meals (and bathroom breaks!) I have been using this for almost 9 hours with no sign of the speaker flagging.

As for the sound quality, it has a full, rich bass without the thumpetty thump and vibration usually associated with such a small speaker. It has a brilliant 'tough' feel to the housing and you can feel what a quality item you're holding. It feels as though it will outlast me. Be careful with the box it comes in though. If you carefully remove the plastic housing, you'll see a card layer containing a hole. Use that to remove the card to find your USB plus jack and instruction booklet. This isn't mentioned on the box so be careful you don't throw it all away. The USB is of course your way of charging the speaker although you should get enough oomph to keep your ears happy for a good few hours before it needs charging.

For those who need it, it will allow you to make/receive phone calls and has Siri functionality to boot. There were no problems with making calls, no concentrating hard to hear properly and no drop out whatsoever. So, who is this speaker aimed at? It's aimed at all those who usually have a problem using 'new technology' as well as those who don't. Whether you want to impress your friends or just want a speaker that sounds more expensive than this one. You can't go wrong with the Bolse Smart NFC Bluetooth Speaker. Give it a try and if you don't like it, I'll pay for it (not really but at least you'll see why I'm so impressed). Oh, and price-wise, I honestly don't think it can be beaten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blose your socks off, 27 Jun. 2015
I wasnt expecting much after my last experience of a Bluetooth speaker, it was so bad I sent it back. However this time I was very pleasantly surprised. I nearly went for an actual Bose speaker after listening to the mini but I hesitated due to the price. I decided to have one last punt on a cheaper version and after looking at some reviews I picked this one.

The minute I switched it immediately impressed. It can certainly hold its own against its expensive near name. OK its base isn't as deep or strong but Im sure you will still be impressed, but there is great clarity to the vocals and I think it might actually be better balanced than the mini. Loud enough to fill a room with a reasonable sound level without distortion. You really wouldn't believe the price difference.

I have just started playing with it so cant yet comment on battery life but operationally it seemed to do everything it needed to. Connected easily to my tablet. Range wasnt great but don't know if thats my tablet or the speaker. Not that it was too bad - I could still play music from another room, I just had to be careful where it put the tablet. In the same room there were no problems. The physical power button feels a bit vague and I worry about its longevity but time will tell.

I cant recommend this highly enough, considering the price and expectations of a speaker this size, you wont be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It worked right away but has a range of only ..., 11 Oct. 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken and no replacement offer! :-(, 31 Dec. 2014
Speaker stopped taking a charge a week after purchase, no option to replace, so I'm losing £4 delivery costs if I want to buy another. Instead looking else where got another speaker. Also the really loud voice and beep when device is connected is really bugging

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery but let down after 2nd day, 14 Feb. 2015
Was amazed when I received this product and was very loud,After one day the BT stopped working I tried getting it to work as am great with tech but it was no go. So I decided to return the product straight away and order a different product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype, 10 April 2015
The performance from this speaker is epic. I couldn't believe the sound from this. For the cost and the size of this speaker I have never heard anything remotely close to it. I have a higher end system and obviously don't expect that kind of response but I use this in my fairly large bathroom and it fills the room and with luscious bass and really enjoyable even over the noise of a shower or spa bath. I have been an audio enthusiast for years and have had many systems and setups and have high expectations when it comes to bass response but it satisfies me completely. Nice full mid and treble too. Bare in mind the cost and the size, its not going to bring the ceiling down like a living room sub but its an excellent product, if not the best I have ever heard in its range. Bluetooth paired up with an old crusty iphone 4 instantly and has enough range for a few rooms away. Only gripe so far is the loud tone it pings when you turn it on. I am not sure why it does this or anyway around it. I turn it down before I turn it off but it still does it. I can live with that for the sheer enjoyment I get listening to it.