4.0 out of 5 stars "Raven Storm" series book 1
Raven Storm is a hardworking cop with a knack for dealing with the strange crimes that happen in her city. As a Dhamphir, Raven has many skills that humans would envy, and although she is only half vampire, her mother is Mistress of the City and Raven has inherited many Mistress level abilities from her.

The case Raven is currently working on is becoming...
Published 16 months ago by Book Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable
Published 14 months ago by serendipity5

4.0 out of 5 stars "Raven Storm" series book 1, 25 Feb. 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The case Raven is currently working on is becoming increasingly bizarre. The dead bodies are starting to pile up, Raven has to be careful liaising with the supernatural community as her new human partner has no idea of what is really going on, plus her mother has decided to meddle in her love life and is throwing gorgeous full vampire Francois at her with the subtlety of a brick.

I thought that the investigation was well done; it was creepy and gory and unravelled at a realistic pace. What wasn't so believable was Raven's head long dive into a full on relationship with Francois. In one sentence she is contemplating sleeping with him but is reluctant to date a full vampire, and in the next she is leaping into bed and referring to him as "love". Francois is equally quick to express his feelings, despite barely exchanging more than a few words with her. That aside, Raven is a great heroine who has a great range of skills and weaponry to take down the bad guys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
There was a lot to like about this book. Our main character Raven Storm is a dhampyr, half human, half vampire, but also a cop with Chicago PD. I really liked to see a supernatural being in a human position in a human world. This felt very real and interesting to me. It also posed some interesting situations. The murder mystery was solid and intriguing and it was that that kept me turning the pages. If this were just a police procedural on it's own, without the little bit of weirdness, it would have a great novel. The weirdness thrown in was at times a little unbelievable, I wondered how things could have been covered up, especially not to be questioned at the very end.

Raven herself was a completely solid character and she was well developed and had a nice amount of capability mixed with mostly smart decisions. I look forward to learning more about her and very much like her partner Rupert. Raven's family was intriguing but I would have liked to see a little bit more background, and whilst I was very pleased to see that this book didn't have that annoying info dump that many first in a series have I was very confused at times as to exactly what the rules were in this new world. A bit more info would have been nice. I also found her 'relationship' with Francois rushed and with an amount of trust from Raven that didn't match her character, although I see where it was needed for the story to develop. All that being said the plus points far out weighed the negative and I will definitely be going to buy the second book which I hope will give me a little more depth. A great start to an enjoyable new series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This just didn't do it for me. I feel bad writing a 2* review when a lot of my issues with this are my personal preference but here it is. I just got a bit bored really, nothing really seems to be happening, the relationship between Raven and Francois is just moving far too fast for me and it doesn't seem to fit with her character. She also is all hard and experienced etc at her job one minute, then the next something happens and she is calling for Francois and crying on his shoulder and it just feels contradictory.

The blurb made me feel like it had promise and other readers seem to have enjoyed it, but it just wasn't for me and I did give up for a couple days then go back to it and now I'm going to skip to the end to be honest.

Some readers have said it would be better without the supernatural parts, I think it would be better with more of it.

The book isn't littered with spelling mistakes which is a plus point. However, I don't really like the writing style. It almost feels to me like it needs to be written in the first person...

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by Stormrise, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable read with a heroine whose lines are clearly inspired by other great fictional greats. The author however manages to make me feel as if the character is a person of depth who is inspired by the likes of Dirty Harry and not merely a feminine ripoff of Harry.

***Plot Spoilers Ahead***
With two males closely entwined in her life I felt that a betrayal was inevitable and sadly this was exactly the case. That however was my biggest disappointment with the plot falling into this cliche trap.
I loved how the prologue became a red herring to the reader. At the point in the main story where Ray is wondering how somebody could appear as somebody else my mind had already drawn the conclusion of a doppelganger imposter and was thinking that Ray was suffering plot induced stupidity. I cannot overstate how pleased I was with the reveal of one of the major villains and the species of them. Bravo for the twist and motivations that I didn't see coming but felt like a satisfying conclusion.
I will be purchasing the next book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well-paced page-turner of a tale with the added interest of straddling the vampire and crime genres while keeping it's feet pl, 14 April 2015
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
'Stormrise' is a very impressive first novel from the author. A well-paced page-turner of a tale with the added interest of straddling the vampire and crime genres while keeping it's feet planted nicely in 'the real world'. Set in Chicago it follows half-vampire half-human cop Raven Storm and her partner Rupert Levac in tracking down a serial killer. The investigations, via the backstreet worlds of voodoo and seedy clubs, are well-written and do not stray far from the storyline thus keeping you drawn ever onwards. Scenes and places are well described, generally with the movement of the characters rather with a static block of prose, and this aids in allowing in all to move smoothly along. History and biography are kept to a minimum and so do not slow the storytelling - which can be the downfall of some first volumes in a series - while the characters are fleshed out as the story progresses. A very enjoyable read that sets the scene for its subsequent volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from a new author, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Being a fantasy reader of long standing I had found lately that I had become all 'vamped' out. This book has firmly changed my mind.

The storyline is good and quite unique and the characters are well drawn. A vampire mother who loves her half breed daughter, now there's a turn up for the books.

Well recommended and I hope not to have to wait for a sequel. Will definitely buy the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read from a new author, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was gifted a copy from the author for an honest review.
This is a new author with her very first release and this book was amazing. I was very impressed how Ms. Knizley had you falling in love with the sexy vampire, Francois, to finding my own admiration for the sloppy Detective Levac and a true witty and talented Detective Raven Storm aka dhampyr. Her writing skills in this story are truly fantastic as she pulls you and refuses to let you go. This is definitely an author you want to watch for. She has left this book open for another and from the looks of it, it won't be soon enough.
On a case searching for clues to the murder of Nathan King and Victoria Laveau where they are found literally with their stomachs turned inside out and signs of voodoo activity, they have stepped into a lot more than either of them planned.
Being the daughter of the Mistress of the City, Raven not only is a detective but the true protector of her mother. Being born half vampire and half human, her priorities are split between the job she loves and her dedication to her mother. Attending one of the meetings with the town, Raven is introduced to Francois DuGuerre, a vampire sure to sweep anyone off their feet. Is she able to start a relationship with Francois or is her job going to take her in directions that will keep her from getting to know someone that could be of importance in her life? With every clue that Raven and Detective Levac discover, more questions will come to the surface.
I truly loved this story and can't wait till the next book comes out in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars tried, but just could not get into this book, 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Raven, the lead female had no depth nor did any of the main players with the exception of her police partner and the portrayal of his untidy eating habits - the only light relief in an otherwise dull story line. I could find no real strong characters (positive or negative) and so did not really care about anyone in the story or even the final outcome. As a result, I abandoned the book a third of the way through. May come back to it at a later date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 16 Sept. 2014
Diana Fleming - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Quite readable. I found the pace a little slow and there were a couple of places where I lost track of peripheral characters and had to backtrack, but Raven was interesting enough to keep me involved in the book. I wouldn't say that it was super brilliant but it was good enough that I just bought book 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vampire who dislikes blood... Love it., 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Stormrise (The Storm Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
There are one or two glaring issues with this book but they have been mentioned enough in other reviews. On the whole I enjoyed reading Stormrise and that is what matters. I finished this book feeling good and wanting more. So I am now off to get my next fix of Raven and the messy but lovable Codumbo.